Matthew Kalman is the co-author, with Matt Rees, of The Murder of Yasser Arafat, published in January 2013.
Kalman has been a foreign correspondent based in Jerusalem since 1998. He has reported for American publications including the Chronicle of Higher Education, MIT Technology Review, the Boston Globe, Time, Newsweek, San Francisco Chronicle, New York Daily News and USA Today. In addition, he has reported for the British Daily Mail, London Sunday Times, and the Canadian Globe and Mail.
He is currently working with the London-based The Independent.
Kalman was appointed editor in chief of The Jerusalem Report in January 2012. and held the position until August 2012, resigning when asked to "implement a 10 per cent budget cut demanded by the management." Kalman said "I would rather resign than try to produce the magazine on even more of a shoestring than we currently have."
Kalman was the only reporter present throughout the 7-year James Ossuary trial in Jerusalem of Oded Golan, accused of faking the ossuary, or burial box, of James, the brother of Jesus. He thoroughly chronicled the events online.
In 2008, he co-directed and co-produced, with David Blumenfeld, the documentary Circumcise Me: The Comedy of Yisrael Campbell, which has been screened at more than 50 film festivals in the US, UK, Canada, Australia and on TV in the US and Israel.
- Israeli cleared of forging Jesus' brother's burial box relic, by Matthew Kalman; The Independent, March 15, 2012
- Judge considers verdict in 5 year long Jesus forgery trial, by Matthew Kalman; AOL News, October 5, 2010
- The Burial Box of Jesus' Brother: Fraud?, by Matthew Kalman; Time Magazine, September 5, 2009
- Israeli war protests echo 1973, by Matthew Kalman; San Francisco Chronicle, August 27, 2006
- A Muslim calls for reform by Matthew Kalman; The San Francisco Chronicle, January 19, 2004
- Obama chief of staff Rahm Emanuel is no pal of ours, Israel's foes say, by Matthew Kalman; New York Daily News, November 6, 2008
- Raiders of the Lost Relics, by Matthew Kalman; The Chronicle of Higher Education, June 18, 2012
- A Palestinian Brewery Grows in the West Bank, by Matthew Kalman; Time Magazine, October 8, 2009
- Israel cops try common scents crowd control, by Matthew Kalman; Daily News (New York), September 7, 2008
- Scientology comes to Israel, by Matthew Kalman; The Independent, November 11, 2012
- As Gaza is torn apart by war, where is Middle East peace envoy Tony Blair? He's been on holiday, by Matthew Kalman; Daily Mail, January 5, 2009
- Chronicle of Higher Education Foreign Correspondents
- San Francisco Chronicle Foreign Correspondents
- Michaeli: Lapid invited me to join Shinui in 2006
- Jerusalem Report - About Us
- Jerusalem Report editor quits over budget demands
- Matthew Kalman, interviewed on British Channel 4 News, Jesus Tomb, February 29, 2012
- Official Bio
- Broadcast, July 17, 2011
- Oded Golan is not guilty of forgery. So is the ‘James ossuary’ for real?
- Oded Golan, James Ossuary Proponent, Acquitted of Antiquities Fraud
- James Ossuary Trial
- The Jesus Discovery Now that the Dust has Settled
- Hamas plays down Yassin peace offer
- In marked shift, Hamas leader talks of a cease-fire
- A conversation with Matthew Kalman, filmmaker
- Circumcise Me