Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (MPI-CBG) is a biology research institute located in Dresden, Germany. It was founded in 1998 and was fully operational in 2001. Twenty-four research groups work in molecular biology, cell biology, developmental biology,and biophysics supported by various facilities.
The research in the institute encompasses many topics from molecular, cellular, and developmental biology as well as from biophysics. An incomplete list of individual topics follows: molecular motors, neural development, cell division, lipid rafts, endocytosis, embryogenesis, regeneration.
The MPI-CBG is headed by five tenured directors or group leaders – Wieland Huttner (Germany) as Managing Director, Anthony Hyman (UK), Elisabeth Knust (Germany), Eugene Myers (USA), Marino Zerial (Italy) – and a chief operating officer (Ivan Baines). Together with the directors' groups, 17 independent research groups led by untenured principal investigators and about 16 facilities make up the work force of the institute. In total, the institute employs around 560 people of whom about half are not German. The flat organisation and the absence of department divisions fosters direct communication and a slim administration.
The MPI-CBG is located next to research centers of the Technische Universität Dresden, the University Clinic C.G. Carus, the Medical Theoretical Centre (MTZ) and the Biotechnological Centre (BIOZ). The MPI-CBG has collaborations with all four research institutions in Dresden and with other centres in the city like the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems with which it forms the research alliance DRESDEN-concept. It also collaborates with institutions abroad. In addition, it operates an international PhD program together with the aforementioned neighbours.
- "MPI-CBG: Bridging Scales". www.mpi-cbg.de. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- "MPI-CBG: Directors". www.mpi-cbg.de. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- "MPI-CBG: Current Groups". www.mpi-cbg.de. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- "MPI-CBG: Core Facilities". www.mpi-cbg.de. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- "DRESDEN-concept | members". Retrieved 2019-02-21.
- "MPI-CBG: Science Network". www.mpi-cbg.de. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- "MPI-CBG: PhD Program". www.mpi-cbg.de. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- Homepage of the institute
- English portal of the Max Planck Society
- Homepage of the institute's international PhD programme