This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Known for||Co-Founder of Milk Studios|
Mazdack Rassi is an American Iranian real estate and creative entrepreneur. He is best known as the co-founder of Milk Studios with partners Erez Shternlicht and Moishe Mana, as a co-founder of Milk Makeup and Camp David in Brooklyn, New York.
Rassi was born in Tehran, Iran. His family left the country because of the Iranian Revolution and moved to rural Champaign, Illinois at the age of nine. Rassi's father, a Cornell graduate and former Iranian diplomat, went from being an educator in Iran to a professor at the University of Illinois. His mother found work in the costume department.
At the age of 22 in 1994, Rassi dropped out of community college, borrowed $500 from his mother, and moved to New York City. He began working "two or three jobs," from splitting falafel to working at the Gap.
After earning his real estate license, Rassi rented an apartment to his two future partners, then unbeknownst to him, Erez Shternlicht and Moisha Mana. He later convinced the duo to open a photography studio in the Meatpacking District with him and to let him run it. This became Milk Studios, a media conglomerate that now is a hub for fashion, photography, casting, videography, media publishing, and cosmetics
Mazdack Rassi was instrumental in helping launch the careers of young fashion creators Alexander Wang, Joseph Altuzarra, Hood By Air, Cushnie et Ochs, via MADE Fashion Week, a program he started at Milk Studios with co-founders Jenné Lombardo and Keith Baptista. Tattoo artist Scott Campbell partnered with Rassi and MILK Studios to host the "Whole Glory" show. Rassi is a regular VIP at widely covered fashion events and music concerts.
Charity and Honors
Rassi serves on the Parsons Board of Governors and on the board of Burton Snowboards. He was the honoree of Make-A-Wish's 2016 Power of a Wish Gala. He also co-hosted the first annual Autism Tomorrow benefit. Rassi is also a long-standing advocate and advisor for the Global Poverty Project and the Global Citizen Festival. He has been devoted to the betterment of New York City for years and has demonstrated his commitment to improving commerce and the existing fashion ecosystem with his work for NYC 2020, the Meatpacking BID Steering Committee and the New York City Economic Development Corporation.
- Detrick, Ben. "A Rebel's Cause: Fortifying the Fashion Flock". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Heinzinger, Kristen. "Milk Studios Launches Makeup Line with Zanna Roberts Rassi". Fashion Week Daily. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Noble, Audrey. "Got Milk? Makeup Essentials for the Cool Girl on the Go". Fashion Week Daily. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- Dailey, Jessica. "Mazdack Rassi". Curbed. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- Clott, Sharon. "156 Minutes With Mazdack Rassi, Founder and Creative Director of Milk Studios". NY Mag. Retrieved 30 August 2009.
- "Jenné Lombardo, Mazdack Rassi & Keith Baptista". Business of Fashion.
- Weiss, Zachary. "The Fashion World's Illuminati Convened Last Night at The Beatrice Inn". Observer. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- Cruz, Josephine. "Get to Know Milk Studios' Mazdack Rassi, the Man Kanye West Calls a "Visionary"". Complex. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Bender, Jeremy. "These searing pictures capture the tragic consequences of the war in Iraq". Business Insider. Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- "Milk.xyz: This #WebsiteWednesday will add a cultural kick to your morning coffee". Gen.xyz. Gen.xyz Blog. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Wischhove, Cheryl. "MILK LAUNCHES A MAKEUP LINE FOR COOL GIRLS WHO ARE TIME-CRUNCHED". Fashionista. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- Blakely, Lindsay. "Meet the Entrepreneur Behind Fashion's Biggest Insurgent Brand". Inc.
- Mulshine, Molly. "Downtown Fashion Kingmakers at MADE Add Music to Their Repertoire". Observer.
- Anderson, Kristin. "Would You Get a Mystery Tattoo? A Vogue Writer Takes the Plunge With Scott Campbell and Shinola". Vogue.
- Symonds, Alexandria. "I Got a Mystery Tattoo From Scott Campbell". New York Times.
- Heyman, Marshall. "Bringing Out the Fashion Set". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- Heij, Patrick. "Partying with Common, Kellan Lutz and Others at Men's Fashion Week". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Plummer, Todd. "Guide to the 2016 Hamptons Party Social Circuit". The New York Times. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Ramshaw, Emily. "ZANNA ROBERTS RASSI & MAZDACK RASSI". The Coveteur.
- Silver, Denna. "Family Circus With Mazdack Rassi And Zanna Roberts Rassi". Fashion Week Daily. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "PARSONS BOARD OF GOVERNORS". The New School.
- "POWER OF A WISH - METRO NEW YORK GALA". Make-A-Wish. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Nigel Barker and Coco Rocha attending the Make-A-Wish gala honoring Milk Studio's Mazdack Rassi". Page Six. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- Barsamian, Edward. "A Model Cause: Jacquelyn Jablonski Hosts the First Annual Autism Tomorrow Benefit". Vogue. Retrieved 11 May 2016.