||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Meeco is a jazz producer and composer based in Paris, France. He has worked and recorded with jazz greats such as Benny Golson, Ron Carter, Hubert Laws, Kenny Barron, Buster Williams, Freddy Cole, James Moody, Bennie Maupin, Eddie Henderson, David “Fathead” Newman, Lionel Loueke, Romero Lubambo, Vincent Herring, Victor Lewis, Jaques Morelenbaum, Cedar Walton, Charlie Mariano, Stefon Harris, David Friedman and many others, but also with Hip Hop artist Talib Kweli.
Meeco has released four albums. In the year 2015 he released "Souvenirs of love" on the established Jazz label "Double Moon Records". Critics consider this album to be his best work so far. Amargo Mel (2009)  and Perfume e Caricias (2010)  came out on German label Connector and on US label Spectra Jazz. His third album Beauty of the Night (released in April 2012) features performances by Brazilian singer Eloisia (Nouvelle Vague), Freddy Cole, Joe Bataan, Gregory Porter, Lionel Loueke and Jane Birkin. In 2002, Meeco wrote a song for the major German motion picture Soloalbum directed by Gregor Schnitzler.
As a young child, Meeco was heavily influenced by his father who played classical piano, making it natural to follow in his progenitor’s footsteps. Meeco began lessons at six years old, and after several years of studying classical music, he sought other musical outlets. After a friend introduced vintage Ella Fitzgerald, Horace Silver and McCoy Tyner recordings, Meeco became enamored with jazz music.
Highly inspired and motivated, he attempted to imitate the sounds he heard on the records, but found he needed more experience with jazz music. He sought piano and theoretical study with the first of his mentors, pianist and producer Marco Meister (producer of German electro group Terranova (band)). With Meister, Meeco gained musical skills and invaluable studio experience in producing his own music.
Meeco met his second mentor, New York pianist/singer Bob Lenox quite by accident. Lenox, who at the time was working in Berlin, Germany as a staff writer for Warner Bros. Records and performing with artists such as Esther Phillips, Pee Wee Ellis, Garland Jefferies and others, became a teacher and close friend. It was through Bob Lenox that Meeco came to the conclusion that the only important thing in music, whether composition or pianistic skill, was creating the right “feeling”.
It was with the knowledge gained by these two mentors, that Meeco quickly gained a reputation as producer for some of Berlin’s finest working musicians.
Meeco's music has been described as "impressionistic", "romantic" as well as "fragile and introspective".
- Amargo Mel (2009) with Eva Ventura, Eloisia, Olvido Ruiz Castellanos, Rolando Faria, Reggie Moore, Guilherme Castro, Rolo Rodriguez and featuring Ron Carter, Hubert Laws, Eddie Henderson (musician), David “Fathead” Newman, Charlie Mariano, David Friedman (percussionist), Bob Lenox, Mario "El Indio" Morejon
- Perfume e Caricias (2010) featuring Eloisia, Eddie Henderson (musician), Kenny Barron, Buster Williams, James Moody (saxophonist), Vincent Herring
- Beauty of the Night (2012) featuring Eloisia, Freddy Cole, Gregory Porter, Joe Bataan, Zé Manoel, Jane Birkin, Hubert Laws, Eddie Henderson (musician), Benny Golson, Bennie Maupin, Kenny Barron, Lionel Loueke, Romero Lubambo, Stefon Harris, Jaques Morelenbaum, Buster Williams, Victor Lewis
- Souvenirs of love (2015)
- d'Gama Rose, Raul (May 26, 2009). "Meeco: Amargo Mel (2009)". All About Jazz.
- Bilawsky, Dan (September 26, 2010). "Meeco: Perfume e Carícias (2010)". All About Jazz.
- Blanco, Edward (October 27, 2010). "Meeco: Perfume e Caricias (2010)". All About Jazz.
- "MEECO: BEAUTY OF THE NIGHT 2012". Meeco.
- "BIOGRAPHY: Meeco, Composer // Producer // Recording Artist". Meeco.
Reviews in Germany
- Becker, Frank (2010-12-15). "Sanfter Jazz mit dem besonderen "Touch o´ Latin": Meeco - "Amargo Mel" & "Perfume e Caricias"" [Smooth jazz with the special "Touch o' Latin": Meeco - "Amargo Mel" and "Perfume e Caricias"]. Musenblätter.
- Wiesch, Dennis (2009-11-16). "Meeco - Amargo Mel". News. Between the Beats.
- Arens, Michael (2011-02-23). "Meeco - "Perfume e Caricias"". Jazzdimensions.
- Arens, Michael. "Meeco - Amargo Mel (Connector Records/Termidor Music/In-Akustik)". SOUL TRAIN.