Meritorious Service Medal (Australia)
The Australian Meritorious Service Medal (1902–75) was initially awarded to (Australian) Army non-commissioned and warrant officers who had served for at least 24 years. Previously, (prior to federation), the individual States awarded the medal. Subsequently, the medal was awarded more widely.
There have been a variety of similar versions of the medal awarded throughout the Commonwealth, including the Meritorious Service Medal (United Kingdom) (Navy, Army and Air Force versions), the Meritorious Service Medal (New Zealand) and others, each varying with the service, the country and the monarch at the time of the award. (e.g.) Similarly named medals are also awarded by non-Commonwealth countries – see Meritorious Service Medal for examples.
Australians were awarded 1222 or 1237 Meritorious Service Medals for gallantry or meritorious service in connection with the First World War. The AWM database contains information on 1,216 awards of the MSM, and 14 awards of the MSM for Gallantry. The It's an Honour database contains 1,256 entries, but there are many duplicate entries. Neither source provides any information about awards after 1920, (the most significant being to Keith Payne VC AM).
- "Australian Meritorious Service Medal 1902–85". Australian War Memorial.
- "Meritorious Service Medal (1902–1975)". Imperial Awards. Itsanhonour.gov.au. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Meritorious Service Medal (1916–1928)". Imperial Awards. Itsanhonour.gov.au. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
(for non-operational bravery or meritorious service directly connected with the war effort)
- "Medal – Commonwealth of Australia Meritorious Service Medal, King Edward VII, Australia, 1903–1910". museumvictoria.com.au. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- Meritorious Service Medal, heritagemedals.com
- "Military honours and decorations awarded during WWI". Centenary of World War I in Orange. www.centenaryww1orange.com.au. 8 April 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "British honours and decorations awarded to officers, nurses and other ranks of the Australian Imperial Force – First World War". Statistics, military. Australian War Memorial.
- "Awards of the MSM". www.awm.gov.au. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Awards of the MSM for Gallantry". www.awm.gov.au. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Australians in World War 1". State Library of Victoria.
|This article related to orders, decorations, and medals is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Australia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|