Mi Vida Loca
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mi Vida Loca|
Theatrical Release Poster
|Directed by||Allison Anders|
|Written by||Allison Anders|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures|
Mi Vida Loca (also known as My Crazy Life) is a 1993 American drama film directed and written by Allison Anders, produced by Cineville. It centers on the plight of young Mexicanas and Chicanas (and their male counterparts) growing up in the Echo Park section of Los Angeles, who face the struggles of friendship, romantic entanglements, and motherhood in a neighborhood ravaged by gang violence.
At the time of filming, most of the cast was made up of unknown actors, some of whom were actual gang members from Echo Park. It also includes the first film appearances from Salma Hayek and Jason Lee, in small roles.
Mi Vida Loca tells the story of young Mexican-American women in Los Angeles and the struggles they have in a life of poverty and early motherhood while being members of an infamous street gang. Mousie (Seidy López) and Sad Girl (Angel Aviles) are best friends from childhood, growing up in Echo Park, a neighborhood that had a significant amount of gang activity in the late 1980s and early 1990s era. They pride themselves for remaining loyal to each other and their gang. But when Sad Girl sleeps with Mousie's boyfriend (a member of their neighborhood gang who is killed in a drug deal gone bad) and becomes pregnant, their friendship is ruptured.
As dramatic situations unfold around them, some that would turn violent, they must try to stay together as friends despite the betrayals, heartbreak and tragedies. The film takes a rather independent look at a world where women seem to have no choice but to raise their children, involve themselves with gang activity, and survive by whatever means available.
- Angel Aviles – Mona a.k.a. Sad Girl
- Seidy López – Maribel a.k.a. Mousie
- Jacob Vargas – Ernesto a.k.a. Bullet
- Nelida Lopez – Whisper
- Marlo Marron – Angelica a.k.a. Giggles
- Christina Solis – Baby Doll
- Arthur Esquer – Shadow
- Julian Reyes – Big Sleepy
- Gabriel Gonzales – Sleepy
- Magali Alvarado – Alicia a.k.a. La Blue Eyes
- Jesse Borrego – Juan Temido a.k.a. El Duran
- Bertila Damas – Rachel
- Monica Lutton – Chucky
- Devine – Devine
- Veronica Arrellano - Stranger
- Panchito Gómez – Joker Bird
- Noah Verduzco - Chuco
- Angelo Martinez - Rascal
- Danny Trejo – Frank a.k.a. Casual Dreamer
- Eddie Perez - Sir Speedy
- Desire Galvez - Dimples
- Salma Hayek – Gata
- Los Lobos - Party Band
- Jason Lee - Teenage Drug Customer
- Spike Jonze - Teenage Drug Customer
- "Mi Vida Loca (My Crazy Life) (1993)". Rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 15 December 2018.