Michael Jackson (wide receiver)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|No. 1, 81|
|Born:||April 12, 1969|
|Died:||May 12, 2017 (aged 48)|
|NFL Draft:||1991 / Round: 6 / Pick: 141|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Michael Dywane Jackson Dyson (April 12, 1969 – May 12, 2017) was an American professional American football wide receiver and politician. Jackson was selected by the Cleveland Browns in the sixth round of the 1991 NFL Draft. He played college football at The University of Southern Mississippi. Jackson played in eight seasons in the National Football League (NFL), from 1991 to 1998, for the Browns and the Baltimore Ravens. Jackson signed a one-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks to play the 1999 season, but was cut at the end of the preseason.
In college, Dyson was teammates with quarterback Brett Favre during the 1989 and 1990 seasons.
He was an immediate contributor for the Cleveland Browns under then head coach Bill Belichick with 3 seasons over 40 catches, 710 yards, and 7 TD. He had a then career-best season in 1993 when he hauled in 41 catches for 756 yards with 8 TD.
In 1993, Jackson changed his name to Dyson. Although, his legal last name was always Dyson, he was partial to using Jackson. He changed his name, when the NFL regulated numbers for positions and forced him to lose number 1 for number 81. After the first week of the season, he changed his name back to Jackson.
Jackson was killed in a motorcycle accident in the early morning hours of May 12, 2017. He was riding his motorcycle at high speed on US 51 in Tangipahoa, Louisiana when he struck the driver side of a vehicle that was backing out of a driveway. The high impact of the collision also killed the driver of the other vehicle, who was a 20-year-old woman by the name of Destiny Alexus Gordon.
- "Famous Alphas". Hartford Alphas. Archived from the original on June 18, 2006. Retrieved May 12, 2017.
- "Past Mayors, Council and City Clerk". Village of Tangipahoa. Retrieved May 14, 2017.[permanent dead link]
- Zrebiec, Jeff (May 12, 2017). "Former Ravens wide receiver Michael Jackson dies in motorcycle crash". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved May 12, 2017.
- Grautski, Amara (May 12, 2017). "Former NFL WR Michael Jackson dies in Louisiana motorcycle crash". New York Daily News. Retrieved May 12, 2017.
- "Former NFL player Michael D. Jackson dies in motorcycle accident". KJZZ. May 12, 2017. Retrieved May 12, 2017.
- Knoblauch, Austin (May 12, 2017). "Former NFL WR Michael Jackson killed in motorcycle crash". National Football League. Retrieved May 12, 2017.