Michael Robert Hogan
|Michael Robert Hogan|
Hogan in 2006
|Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon|
September 24, 2011 – November 1, 2012
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon|
|Preceded by||James A. Redden|
|Succeeded by||Ancer L. Haggerty|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon|
September 16, 1991 – September 24, 2011
|Appointed by||George H. W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Seat established by 104 Stat. 5089|
|Succeeded by||Michael J. McShane|
|Born||Michael Robert Hogan
September 24, 1946
|Education||University of Oregon (B.A.)
Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.)
Michael Robert Hogan (born September 24, 1946) is a former United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon. He served as Chief Judge from 1995 to 2002. He was based at the Wayne L. Morse United States Courthouse in Eugene, Oregon. While he was Chief Judge, he was an influential force on the design of the new courthouse. He took senior status with the court on September 24, 2011 and retired on November 1, 2012.
Education and career
Born in Oregon City, Oregon, Hogan received a Bachelor of Arts degree, with honors, from the University of Oregon in 1968 and received his Juris Doctor from Georgetown University Law Center in 1971. Hogan was a law clerk for Judge Robert C. Belloni after getting his law degree. He then went into private practice in Portland before becoming a bankruptcy judge with the District Court in 1973. Later he continued with the district as a United States Magistrate.
Federal judicial service
On June 27, 1991, Hogan was nominated by President George H. W. Bush to a new seat on the United States District Court for the District of Oregon created by 104 Stat. 5089. Hogan was confirmed by the United States Senate on September 12, 1991, and received commission on September 16, 1991. He served as Chief Judge from 1995 to 2002, and took senior status on September 24, 2011. He then retired on November 1, 2012.
- "Hogan, Michael Robert - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Who's who in American Law". Marquis Who's Who. 24 June 1998 – via Google Books.
- "Wayne Lyman Morse United States Courthouse". Architectural Record.
- "Briefs". Oregon State Bar Bulletin. November 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Hon. Michael R. Hogan". Learn About the Law (findlaw.com). Archived from the original on 2009-09-14.
- Jack Moran, "Judge’s ‘senior’ role leads to vacancy: Michael Hogan shifts into semiretirement on the federal district bench Archived 2013-02-01 at Archive.is", The Register-Guard (Friday, Oct. 7, 2011), page A1.
- Federal district judge refuses to apply arson mandatory minimum (on constitutional grounds?), Sentencing Law and Policy, October 31, 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- Michael Robert Hogan at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon (Official website)
Seat established by 104 Stat. 5089
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon
Michael J. McShane
James A. Redden
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon
Ancer L. Haggerty