Michael Schmidt (designer)
Michael Schmidt is a wardrobing, jewelry and interior designer working primarily in the entertainment industry. He is known for working with a variety of innovative materials and techniques, such as a 3-D printed dress he created for Dita Von Teese. His clothing has been worn by celebrities such as Madonna, Cher, and the Black Eyed Peas.
In 1991 Schmidt received an Emmy nomination for his costume design in Cher... At the Mirage. His work has been exhibited at several museums such as the Pasadena Museum of California Art and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
Schmidt had an early interest in wardrobe design and one of his early designs, a handmade chainmail dress, appeared on the cover of a New York magazine, Details Magazine. He has worked on various projects such as a knotted rope curtain construction for the lobby of the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs, California. Since 2001 he has collaborated with the international luxury goods firm Chrome Hearts and has also had an ongoing on-going collaborative relationship with designer Jeremy Scott. In 2012 he launched a jewelry collection through his studio Michael Schmidt Studios.
Schmidt's work has been part of several exhibits at places such as the following:
- Rock Style at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2010
- Action/Reaction at the Pasadena Museum of California Art, 2010
- Career retrospective at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2013
- Outstanding Costumes for a Variety Program or Special for Cher... At The Mirage (1991, nomination)
- "The World’s Most Innovative Dress". Daily Beast. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Anderton, Frances. "Michael Schmidt Puts the Va-Va Voom into a 3D Printed Dress, and tells Rose Apodaca all About It". KCRW. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "DESIGNER MICHAEL SCHMIDT ON THE WORLD'S FIRST FULLY ARTICULATED 3D PRINTED DRESS". Paper Magazine. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "OUTSTANDING COSTUME DESIGN FOR A VARIETY OR MUSIC PROGRAM". Emmys. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Beyond 3-D Fashion and the Ace Hotel: The Future Couture of Michael Schmidt". KCET. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Ace Hotel, Palm Springs". Wallpaper. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Forever offbeat Designer to the stars Michael Schmidt creates a jewelry line for the rock goddess in everyone". News OK/LAT. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Michael Schmidt rocks a new jewelry line". LAT. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "California Design Biennial: Maverick spirit". LAT. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "L.A. designer Michael Schmidt and his 3-D printed gown to appear at LACMA". LAT. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Michael Schmidt with Rose Apodaca at LACMA – June 12". LADF. Retrieved 20 December 2013.