April 15, 1946 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Kathleen Tucci (2 children)|
Life and career
Tucci was born in New York City, New York, the son of Minerva D. (née LaRosa) and Nicholas Tucci, a business executive. He graduated from H. Frank Carey High School in Franklin Square, New York. He played the T-Birds member Sonny LaTierri for the 1978 film version Grease, a role that he is best known for. He portrayed law student Gerald Golden in the TV series The Paper Chase from 1983 to 1986. For five years Tucci played Garry Shandling's best friend Pete Schumaker on the cult classic It's Garry Shandling's Show (1986–1990). He also spent more than three years touring with companies of the musical "Chicago," performing as lead character Roxy Hart's husband, Amos. He is best known for his work as the "Green Apple" in the widely renowned play "Destination", by Uta Hagen.
On television he also played Dick Van Dyke's friend and hospital administrator Norman Briggs, for the first four seasons of Diagnosis: Murder. Tucci is currently teaching and coaching Introduction to Fine Arts and Theater Arts at St. Francis High School in La Cañada Flintridge, California. The teacher recently played the role of the father of Melissa McCarthy in The Heat. He currently resides with his family in Los Angeles, California.
- Forced Entry - Richie (1975)
- Barney Miller - Four characters across four episodes (1976 - 1982)
- Grease - Sonny Latierri (1978)
- Sunnyside - Harry Cimoli (1979)
- Lunch Wagon - Arnie (1981)
- MacGyver - Episode - Honest Abe - Phillip (1991)
- Diagnosis Murder - Norman Briggs (1993-1997)
- MacShayne: The Final Roll Of The Dice - Harvey Pell (Cindy Evans's Manager) (1995)
- Blow - Dr. Bay (2001)
- Mimic 2 - Dr. Shapiro (2001)
- The Heat - Mr. Mullins (2013)