A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Nationality||Netherlands and United States|
|Known for||Market Segmentation, Eye Tracking|
|Title||Pepsico Chaired Professor of Consumer Science|
|Education||Leiden University, Wageningen University|
|Thesis||Clusterwise Regression and Market Segmentation (1990)|
Michel Wedel is the Pepsico Chaired Professor of Consumer Science in the Robert H. Smith School of Business, and a Distinguished University Professor, at the University of Maryland, College Park. He works on the development of statistical and econometric methods to analyze and predict consumer behavior, in addition to market segmentation[bk 1] and eye tracking research.[bk 2]
Wedel develops statistical and econometric methods for research in marketing, and applies these methods to support firms' decision-making. He has worked in the areas of market segmentation,[pub 1] advertising[pub 2] and promotions,[pub 3] visual marketing,[bk 3] multidimensional scaling,[pub 4] conjoint analysis,[pub 5] and big data analytics.[pub 6]
From 1982-1991, Wedel was employed at the Department of Human Nutrition, of the Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research (TNO), in Zeist, the Netherlands, where he was head of the statistics unit in the Department of Human Nutrition. In 1991, he became Professor of Marketing Research and Market Structure Analysis, Department of Economics, University of Groningen, The Netherlands, where he worked until 2002. In 2003 Wedel was appointed as the Dwight F. Benton Professor of Marketing at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA. In 2006 he moved to the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland, where he became the Pepsico Chaired Professor of Consumer Science. Wedel has had visiting positions at the University of Michigan, the University of Groningen, and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, and currently holds the Henri Theil Visiting Chair in Marketing and Econometrics, at the Econometric Institute of Erasmus University in the Netherlands.
Awards and honors
Wedel received the Dr. Hendrik Muller Prize from the Royal Dutch Academy of the Sciences for contributions to the social sciences, the Charles C. Parlin award for contributions to marketing research, the Gilbert A. Churchill Award for lifetime contributions to the study of marketing research, and the Irwin-McGraw-Hill Distinguished Marketing Educator Award, all from the American Marketing Association. He is a fellow of the American Marketing Association, the American Statistical Association and the Institute for Operations Research and Management Science, Society for Marketing Science. The University of Maryland has recognized him with the Distinguished Scholar Teacher Award and named him a Distinguished University Professor. Wedel was ranked the number one marketing scholar in the world by Duke University, drawing upon a number of publications, third marketing scholar in the world by volume of publications, the number one economist in the Netherlands, and number one Netherlands marketing scholar based on number of publications.
- Wedel, Michel; Kamakura, Wagner (2000). Market Segmentation: Conceptual and Methodological Foundations. Springer. pp. 1–382. doi:10.1007/978-1-4615-4651-1. ISBN 978-1-4615-4651-1.
- Wedel, Michel; Pieters, Rik (2008). "Eye Tracking for Visual Marketing". Foundations and Trends® in Marketing. 1 (4): 231–320. doi:10.1561/1700000011.
- Wedel, Michel; Pieters, Rik (2007). Visual Marketing: From Attention to Action. New York: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. pp. 1–328. doi:10.4324/9780203809617. ISBN 978-0805862928.
- Wedel, Michel; DeSarbo, Wayne S. (1995). "A mixture likelihood approach for generalized linear models". Journal of Classification. 12 (1): 21–55. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.461.7611. doi:10.1007/BF01202266. ISSN 0176-4268.
- Pieters, Rik; Wedel, Michel (2004-04-01). "Attention Capture and Transfer in Advertising: Brand, Pictorial, and Text-Size Effects". Journal of Marketing. 68 (2): 36–50. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.115.3006. doi:10.1509/jmkg.18.104.22.168794. ISSN 0022-2429.
- Zhang, Jie; Wedel, Michel (2009-04-01). "The Effectiveness of Customized Promotions in Online and Offline Stores". Journal of Marketing Research. 46 (2): 190–206. doi:10.1509/jmkr.46.2.190. ISSN 0022-2437.
- Wedel, Michel; Desarbo, Wayne S. (1996-10-01). "An Exponential-Family Multidimensional Scaling Mixture Methodology". Journal of Business & Economic Statistics. 14 (4): 447–459. doi:10.1080/07350015.1996.10524674. ISSN 0735-0015.
- Sándor, Zsolt; Wedel, Michel (2001-11-01). "Designing Conjoint Choice Experiments Using Managers' Prior Beliefs". Journal of Marketing Research. 38 (4): 430–444. doi:10.1509/jmkr.38.4.430.18904. ISSN 0022-2437.
- Wedel, Michel; Kannan, P. K. (2016-05-23). "Marketing Analytics for Data-Rich Environments". Journal of Marketing. 80 (6): 97–121. doi:10.1509/jm.15.0413. ISSN 0022-2429.
Kyokushin karate career
Wedel holds a 5th dan in Kyokushin Karate and was a heavy-weight full contact karate competitor. He won the Dutch (open) full contact Karate championships nine times between 1978 and 1987. His only loss was to Gerard Gordeau (Netherlands) in the final in 1980. Wedel won the International Ibusz Oyama cup in Budapest (Hungary) in 1982 after beating Michael Thompson (England), won the open European Karate Championships in Alkmaar (Netherlands) in 1983. In 1985 he became second after losing to Andy Hug (Switzerland) in the Ibusz Oyama cup. He reclaimed that cup in 1986. He became the European heavyweight champion in Katowice (Poland) in 1987, after beating Michael Thompson (England) in the final. In 1986, together with Peter Smit, he participated in the 18th All Japan Tournament in Tokyo, and he participated in the 2nd (1979), 3rd (1983) and 4th (1987) World Open Karate Championships in Japan. In 1979 he was disqualified against Gary Klugiewicz (US). He lost to Akira Masuda (Japan) in 1983 and he lost to Ademir da Costa (Brazil) in 1987; finishing both times among the first 16 competitors. Out of his last 25 fights, Wedel lost one, was disqualified in one, won one by decision and won 22 by knock-out.
Wedel became the coach of the Dutch National Karate team (1988-1991). He wrote the book: “Kyokushin Karate: Training and Fighting” with Koen Scharrenberg, and made Kyokushin training instruction videos with Andy Hug. In 1994, he joined the democratic ShinKyokushin organization under leadership of Kenji Midori.
- Batenburg, F.H.D.(Eke) van. "Instituut voor Theoretische Biologie te Leiden: mensen". www.theoretischebiologie.nl. Retrieved 2017-10-30.
- "Matthew T. G. Meulenberg". archive.ama.org. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Michel Wedel | Faculty History Project". www.lib.umich.edu. Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- "Michel Wedel strengthens quantitative marketing research with visiting position". www.eur.nl. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Jan-Benedict Steenkamp and Michel Wedel — KNAW". www.knaw.nl. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "Michel Wedel Awarded the Charles Coolidge Parlin Marketing Research Award". Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Marketing Research Special Interest Group". archive.ama.org. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- AMA (2018-12-14). "Michel Wedel Named the 2019 Irwin Award Winner". AMA Marketing News. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "DeSarbo, Srinivasan, and Wedel Join Ranks of AMA Fellows in 2018". www.ama.org. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "ASA Fellows". www.amstat.org. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- INFORMS. "Fellow Award - INFORMS". www.informs.org. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "University of Maryland Names Smith School of Business Prof. Michel Wedel Top Scholar, Teacher". Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland. Retrieved 2018-06-12.
- "Distinguished University Professors". faculty.umd.edu. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- Lynch, John (2008). "The Individual Scholar and the School: Scholarly Influence of Thirty Top Marketing Faculties and Their PhD Alumni 1997-2006". Duke University Working Paper.
- Seggie, Steven (2009). "What does it take to get promoted in marketing academia? Understanding exceptional publication productivity in the leading marketing journals". Journal of Marketing. 73 (1).
- Van Ours, Jan C.; Vermeulen, Frederic (2007). "Ranking Dutch Economists". De Economist. 155 (4): 469–487. doi:10.1007/s10645-007-9073-y.
- Verhoef, Peter (2006). "Publicatiedrift van Nederlandse Marketingwetenschappers". Recente Ontwikkelingen in Het Marktonderzoek. 2006.
- "WKO Recommended Dan promotions". Retrieved 2017-07-29.
- Brunekreef, Willem (2007). The Golden Kyokushin and K-1 Encyclopedia. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-9081237918.
- "Ibutz Oyama Cup". www.kyokushinresults.com. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- "European Championships". www.kyokushinresults.com. Retrieved 2017-03-28.
- "4th World Open Tournament". www.kyokushinresults.com. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "martial-arts pro: Michel Wedel".
- "amazon.com: Kyokushin Karate: Training and Fighting".
- "Andy Hug and Michael Wedel: Power of Kyokushinkai".
- "World Karate Organization".