||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
|Chief Minister of the Isle of Man|
3 December 1986 – 3 December 1996
|Preceded by||Edgar Mann (as Chairman of the Executive Council)|
|Succeeded by||Donald Gelling|
|Born||Miles Rawstron Walker
13 November 1940
Isle of Man
|Spouse(s)||Mary, Lady Walker
|Children||1 son, 1 daughter|
|Profession||Politician / businessman|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Isle of Man
Early life and career
Born on 13 November 1940 to George Denis Walker and Alice (née Whittaker), he was educated at Castle Rushen High School and the Shropshire Agricultural College. He later went on to become a company director in the farming and retail dairy trade. He was elected as an Arbory commissioner in 1970, remaining as one until 1976, and became the chairman. In 1976 he stood as MHK for Rushen and was successful. He remained an MHK until retiring at the 2001 General Election. In 1986 he was elected the first ever Chief Minister and continued in the post for a decade until the 1996 election. He was honoured as Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1991, with an honorary LL.D. degree in 1994 by Liverpool University, and a knighthood in 1997.
- Chairman of Tromode House Committee, 1977–80
- Chairman of the Broadcasting Commission, 1979–81
- Chairman of the Local Government Board, 1981–86
- Chairman of the Income Tax Commission, 1985–86
- Member of the Executive Council, 1981–90
- Chief Minister, 1986–96
The Walker Council
- "Walker, Miles Rawstron" (PDF). www.tynwald.org. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- Belchem, John (2000). A New History of the Isle of Man: The modern period 1830–1999. Liverpool University Press. pp. 197–. ISBN 978-0-85323-726-6. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- Kermode, D. G. (2001). Offshore island politics: the constitutional and political development of the Isle of Man in the twentieth century. Liverpool University Press. p. 283. ISBN 978-0-85323-777-8. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "Sir Miles Walker is new Hospice Isle of Man chairman". www.iomtoday.co.im. 7 June 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Sir Miles Walker takes over as Chairman". www.seftongroup.co.im. 4 June 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
Edgar Mann (as Chairman of the Executive Council)
Donald James Gelling CBE CP