This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sigh performing at Jaxx Nightclub in September 2008
|Genres||Black metal, avant-garde metal, symphonic metal, progressive metal|
|Labels||Deathlike Silence, Cacophonous, Century Media, Candlelight, The End|
|Associated acts||Enoch, Necrophagia, Gonin-ish, Post Mortem, Numb & Number, Abigail, Cut Throat, Aiaibanchi, Hellchild, The Meads of Asphodel, The Red Chord|
Sigh (サイ sai) is a Japanese extreme metal band from Tokyo, formed in 1989. They are credited as being one of the first Japanese black metal bands, producing music in the early 1990s when the majority of black metal came from Scandinavia. They gradually shifted from a traditional extreme metal sound to a more experimental, avant-garde style employing symphonic elements.
Sigh was founded in 1989 in Tokyo, Japan. The band was signed by Euronymous' (of Mayhem fame) infamous label Deathlike Silence Records and released their first full-length album Scorn Defeat on DSP in 1993, shortly after Euronymous' death. The label ceased to exist shortly after his death and Sigh changed to Cacophonous Records.
After major disputes with Cacophonous over promotion and album rights, the band eventually found a new home at Century Media Records. Through this label they released their album Imaginary Sonicscape in 2001, which contained a more avant-garde elements than their previous work. In 2005 they released their full-length Gallows Gallery through yet another source, Candlelight/Baphomet Records. The band then signed to The End Records that released Hangman's Hymn and Scenes From Hell and reissued re-mastered versions of Gallows Gallery and Imaginary Sonicscape with revamped artwork and bonus tracks, before re-signing with Candlelight Records. After returning to Candlelight Records, Sigh has released 2012's In Somniphobia, and 2015's Graveward.
- Mirai Kawashima (川嶋未来) – vocals, keyboards, sampling, programming, vocoder (1990–present), woodwinds (2010–present), bass guitar (1990–2004), percussion (2004–present), orchestral arrangements (2007–present)
- Satoshi Fujinami (藤波聡) – guitar (1990–1992, 2008, с 2015), drums (1992–2004, 2008, с2015), bass guitar (2004–present)
- Junichi Harashima (原島淳一) – drums (2004–present)
- Dr. Mikannibal – alto saxophone, vocals (2007–present)
- You Oshima – guitar (2014–present)
- Kazuki Ozeki (尾関和樹) – drums (1990)
- Shinichi Ishikawa (石川慎一) – guitar (1992–2014)
- Studio albums
- Scorn Defeat (嘲笑敗北) (1993)
- Infidel Art (異端芸術) (1995)
- Hail Horror Hail (恐怖万歲) (1997)
- Scenario IV: Dread Dreams (1999)
- Imaginary Sonicscape (架空音景) (2001)
- Gallows Gallery (2005)
- Hangman's Hymn (音楽による葬式) (2007)
- Scenes from Hell (2010)
- In Somniphobia (2012)
- Graveward (2015)
- Heir to Despair (2018)
- Requiem for Fools (1992)
- Ghastly Funeral Theatre (葬式劇場) (1997)
- A Tribute to Venom (2008)
- The Curse of Izanagi 7" (2010)
- Desolation (1990)
- Tragedies (1990)
- "Sigh - discography, line-up, biography, interviews, photos". Spirit-of-metal.com. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- William York. "Sigh | Biography & History". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- "YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- *Please enter your name. (2012-09-04). "No. 31: Sigh, 'Inked in Blood' – Top 21st Century Metal Songs". Loudwire.com. Retrieved 2016-06-14.