Mohammad Asif Rahimi
|Mohammad Asif Rahimi|
Rahimi in April 2011
|Minister of Agriculture of Afghanistan|
11 October 2008
|Preceded by||Obaidullah Rameen|
|Governor of Herat|
27 April 2015
|Preceded by||Asiluddin Jami (acting)|
Kabul Province, Afghanistan
Mohammad Asif Rahimi is an ethnic Tajik politician born and raised in Paghman District, Kabul in Afghanistan, currently serving as Minister of Agriculture. An ethnic Tajik, he was born in 1959 and raised in Kabul, and obtained a bachelor degree from Kabul University in 1981 before completing post-graduate studies in Management of Development Programs in 1989 at Omaha University in Nebraska, United States. Rahimi moved to Canada in 2001, and returned to Afghanistan in 2005, where he joined the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development, spearheading rural development and infrastructure regeneration. He was appointed to his current posting in October 2008 and was confirmed by the National Assembly of Afghanistan. Part of his Ministry's efforts have been focused on reducing opium production in Afghanistan, which is seen as critical to Afghanistan's development.
Asia Times reported that on November 17, 2009, two employees of the Ministry of Agriculture had the home they shared with their extended family raided by American special forces. Asia Times reported that the surviving cousin Majibullah Qarar had reported the capture and disappearance of the other ministry employee Habib-ur-Rahman, and the shooting of two other cousins, Hamidullah and Azim. A denunciation of Habib-ur-Rahman had triggered the raid. He was a computer expert who had traveled to Kuwait to study Computer Science, and his denunciators claimed he had been influenced by al Qaeda, while there. Asia Times reported that the Minister of Agriculture had personally appealed to the Americans for the release of his employee.
- "Afghanistan - Central Intelligence Agency". CIA. 28 September 2009. Retrieved 24 December 2009.
- "Afghan Government 2009" (PDF). Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). September 28, 2009. Retrieved 2011-07-10.
- Rahimi, Mohamed Asif
- "Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation & Livestock". Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock of Afghanistan. Retrieved 24 December 2009.
- "Members of President Hamid Karzai's Cabinet". Afghanistan Online. 7 March 2009. Retrieved 24 December 2009.
- Doucet, Lyse (7 February 2008). "World effort in Afghanistan under strain". BBC. Retrieved 24 December 2009.
- "Afghanistan's Agriculture Minister Speaks to US Agriculture Experts about Teamwork". United States Department of State. 9 December 2009. Retrieved 24 December 2009.
- Anand Gopal (2010-01-30). "Terror comes at night in Afghanistan". Asia Times. Archived from the original on 2010-01-29. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
|Minister of Agriculture of Afghanistan
October 11, 2008-