||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: obsolete data (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Nickname(s): Kovil nagaram|
|Elevation||143 m (469 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Mohanur is a Town panchayat in the Namakkal district of the Indian state Tamil Nadu. The Mohanur Panchyat Union includes Mohanur Town, Pettapalayam, Manappalli, Rasipalayam, Kumaripalayam, Sengappalli, Ediyar, Perumandam Palayam, Ariyur, Aniyapuram, and Valayapatti. It is linked to Tiruchirappalli, Salem, Erode, and Karur districts by road.
Mohanur is a town panchyat situated at the southernmost part of Namakkal district, on the bank of river Cauvery. It is located at  It has an average elevation (MSL) of 143 metres (469 feet). It is located 409 km southwest from Chennai and 273 km south from Bengaluru and it is near by Namakkal (18 km) and Karur (12 km), the special feature of Mohanur is that it is the only place where the river Cauvery runs from north to south. After Kasi here the only place The Lord shiva (Asaladeepeswarar in Mohanur) temple which located right side in banks of river that passing north to south. It is also famous for historic temples which are visited by lakhs of Hindus from all over the state. Mohanur is a temple town in Namakkal district.The Famous Navaladiyan temple located in the border of Mohanur and Kumaripalayam..
- The Great Freedom fighter Venkatarama Ramalingam Pillai alias Namakkal Kavingar Born in Mohanur.
- CEO of Tata consultancy service(TCS) Natarajan Chandrasekaran(Chandra) Born in Mohanur.
As of 2011[update] India census, Mohanur had a population of 14,315. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Mohanur has an average literacy rate of 80.67%,: male literacy is 87.65% and female literacy is 74.04%. In Mohanur, 8.91% of the population is under 6 years of age. Sex Ratio stands at 1046 and child sex ratio at 998. Mohanur is a town with many schools and a college. There is a police station for the nearby villages. It also has many hospitals. The broad gauge railway line from Salem to Karur passes through this place. Mohanur to Vangal Bus route Bridge opened for traffic. The State Highways-95 is originating at mohanur. This road passes through Namakkal, Sendamangalam and end at rasipuram. Mohanur -Vangal (Karur) bridge opened for traffic now its connected Karur by road within 12 km. Mohanur is part of Namakkal assembly constituency (Lok Sabha constituency).
Several reasons are offered for the origin of the name.
- One reason given is that the people of this region worked as middle men or agents in the ancient era. Mugavar is the term in Tamizh for agents. So the place came to be known as Mugavanur which derived later on as Moganur.
- Another reason is that Lord Shiva wanted to see the reincarnation of Lord Vishnu as a woman i.e. Mohini, here in this location.
- Another reason goes that once all the heavenly devas went in search of Lord Shiva accompanied by Ganga. But he was alone there. So they started their search for Ganga and went to Lord Muruga. He too started to search her. Searching for her, they reached Madurai where Madurai Meenakshi directed them towards north near Cauvery. Lord Muruga came to Cauvery, yet didn’t find her. So He went on a severe meditation on her. Ganga appeared in front of him. She was so overwhelmed by his motherly love and hugged him. Since the mother-son love between them was found here, the place was called Maganur. Magan means "son" in Tamizh. Maganur later derived as Mohanur.
1.Sri Balathandayuthapani Temple (Lord Murugan)
2.Sri Bagavathi Amman Temple
3.Sri Draupathi Amman Temple
4.Sri Arulmigu Mariyamman Temple
5.Sri Navaladi Karuppannaswami Temple
* Al Juma masjid Islamic
Infrastructure and Facilities
Mohanur is well connected by road to Namakkal (North), Paramathi Velur (West), Valayapatti (East), Karur (South) and Kattuputhur (Southeast). SH 95 Connects Mohanur and Rasipuram (via) Namakkal, Senthamangalam. This road to be established to two-way lane is under processing. The cauvery river bridge has opened Mohanur-Vangal bridge to connection of Salem - Karur (via) Mohanur.
Mohanur has a Police Station for Mohanur town and 21 villages and their 93 Sub villages.
- The Salem Co-Operative Sugar Mills Ltd in Mohanur. It is the second highest level production factory in Tamil Nadu. In has up to 1000 employees working.
- And some numbers of small scale industries like textiles and mosquito net manufacturers are in Mohanur.
- Mohanur is well connected to the major cities of Tamil Nadu like Chennai, Salem, Erode, Karur, Trichy and Namakkal.
- Frequent busses accessed to Namakkal, Karur and velur.
- Daily Govt busses available to Chennai at Morning 8.30 and night 8.30.
- MGM Omni bus service also available to chennai at 8.30 PM.
- Salem - Karur (via) Mohanur New bus route opened for traffic after opening Mohanur-Vangal bridge.
- And also connected to Kattuputhur and Valayapatti.
- Daily Trains available to Chennai - Palani @ 3.59 AM.
- Palani -Chennai @ 9.09 PM.
- Salem - Karur passenger @ 7.16 AM.
- Karur - Salem passenger @ 8.45 AM.
- Salem - Karur passenger @ 6.46 PM.
- Karur - Salem Passenger @ 8.04 PM.
- "Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Mohanur". Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- http://www.census2011.co.in/data/town/803499-mohanur-tamil-nadu.html. Missing or empty
- http://travel.bhushavali.com/search?q=mohanur. Retrieved 2012-06-27