Moncho1929 at a mural
|Known for||street art, contemporary art, collaborations|
|Movement||contemporary art, street art|
Moncho 1929 (born Dan Monteavaro ) is a Los Angeles-based street and contemporary artist originally from New York City known for his colorful murals and sociopolitical content. In 2016, he created banners that West Hollywood City Hall displayed on their building and in 2017, he was commissioned by Universal Pictures to paint three murals promoting the film Atomic Blonde starring Charlize Theron.
Recently, Moncho was acquired for the permanent collection of The Figge Art Museum, which is one of the oldest art institutions in the country and is considered the first municipal art gallery in the United States.
Growing up in the South Bronx during the 1980s, Moncho 1929 was inspired by the boon in urban art that occurred in Manhattan at that time. The work that he makes today incorporates the graffiti and street art aesthetic he grew up with while integrating more traditional techniques such a silkscreen and representational drawing. The content of his work shares the diversity of his techniques and addresses themes ranging from war to animal poaching to police brutality and celebrity obsession.
Moncho 1929's work has been exhibited in several solo and group shows at galleries including: LAB ART, The Gabba Gallery, Cheryl Hazan Contemporary Art, DTR Modern, Gallery 825, Soho House among others and featured in community-driven outdoor initiatives such as "Animal Alley LA."
The City of Glendale's Utility Boxes, 2014
In an effort to make art accessible to viewers who might not have access to a gallery or museum, the Glendale Arts and Culture Commission launched a public art program to beautify the community. Artists, including Moncho 1929, painted 26 electrical boxes throughout the city.
Smile South Central, 2015
The "Smile South Central" initiative was founded in an effort to reinvigorate the community, promote local pride and provide an outdoor arts education. Artists, like Moncho 1929, who participated in the project, donated their time and created designs that were appropriate and specific to the community.
West Hollywood City Hall Community Plaza, 2016
In 2016, the City Hall Community Plaza opened as a site-specific public art space with installations and murals by Moncho 1929, Ned Kahn, Bronwyn Lundberg, and Kim West, among others. Moncho 1929 and West Hollywood's for city poet Steven Reigns designed a collaborative banner for the center.
San Pedro Mural Project, 2017
In 2010, popular San Pedro Greek restaurant Papadakis Taverna closed its doors. Five years later, the building was repurchased and has been undergoing renovation ever since to restore not only the restaurant but also the local community pride. Alongside artist Jason Ostro, Moncho 1929 was asked to paint murals on the exterior of the building in conjunction with the San Pedro Waterfront Arts District.
Berkadia Project, 2017
Moncho 1929 was recently acquired and accepted into the permanent collection of the Figge Art Museum in Davenport, IA
Presence at Art Fairs and Auction
Moncho 1929 was the featured muralist for Saatchi Art's "The Other Art Fair" in Los Angeles in 2018
Moncho 1929 has sold multiple works at auction with IntoAction  alongside Hank Willis Thomas, Swoon, Glenn Kaino, Sage Vaughn, Patrick Martinez, Shepard Fairey and many others, and Julien's Auction and in 2017 was a featured artist on Artsy benefiting the American Civil Liberties Union.
Art fairs participated in include Art Houston, Palm Springs Fine Art Fair, SF Fine Art Fair, Hamptons Fine Art Fair among others and in 2017, he had work featured on the main page of Artsy.com for the Art Miami Fair at Art Basel.
Universal Pictures ( Atomic Blonde ) 2017
Paramount Pictures ( Star Trek Beyond ) 2016
Moncho was commissioned to do a mural by Invesco for a national commercial
New Amsterdam/EJ Gallo 2015
Moncho was commissioned to represent Los Angeles in a national ad campaign for New Amsterdam Vodka
- "Dan Monteavaro". Art Unified Gallery. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "artwork from artist moncho 1929 | wallspace la". www.wallspacela.com. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- Dambrot, Shana Nys (2016-05-25). "West Hollywood: A Model of Progressive Civic Culture to Enjoy and Emulate". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- "Suspended Motion (MONCHO1929 & Steven Reigns) | City of West Hollywood". www.weho.org. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- Bla Bla Show TV (2017-07-28), MONCHO 1929 nos habla del trabajo que hizo para Atomic Blonde Bla Bla Show, retrieved 2017-10-24
- "Atomic Blonde with Charlize Theron, James McAvoy, John Goodman, Til Schweiger, Eddie Marsan". Se Fija!. 2017-08-02. Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- "Sharing Stories Through the Big Draw - Crescenta Valley Weekly". www.crescentavalleyweekly.com. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Street Legal". Wall Street International. 2014-01-28. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Moncho1929's Art Opening at LAB ART – Minx Society". www.minxsociety.com. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "The Gabba Gallery with "Outside Lies Magic" Opens tonight!". Cartwheel Art. 2015-03-28. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Moncho1929 | Diversions LA". diversionsla.com. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Animal Alley: The story behind the murals being painted in Echo Park". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Andy Dissected - Moncho1929 - Google Arts & Culture". Google Cultural Institute. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- Vankin, Deborah (2015-03-18). "Google goes street: L.A. launch party celebrates public art". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Beyond The Box - Utility Box Murals | City of Glendale, CA". www.glendaleca.gov. Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- about, Amy Powell, bio, (2015-05-19). "Artists cover graffiti with murals to inspire South LA community". ABC7 Los Angeles. Retrieved 2017-10-24.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Transportation, Pedestrian Safety, and Parking – WeHoX". www.wehox.org. Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- "Peeling back San Pedro history at a legendary landmark". Daily Breeze. 2017-02-06. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Peeling back San Pedro history at a legendary landmark". Daily Breeze. 2017-02-06. Retrieved 2018-02-05.
- "Famous Street Art, a Rock n' Roll Legend And Modern Artworks Headline December Icons Of Art Event At Julien's Auctions". www.juliensauctions.com. Retrieved 2017-10-26.
- "Street Art for ACLU: Benefit Auction 2017 | Artsy". www.artsy.net. Retrieved 2017-10-26.
- "6foot7foot8footjump - Moncho 1929". www.aquaartmiami.com. Retrieved 2018-02-05.