|Clot seen on ultrasound of the dorsal penile vein|
|Classification and external resources|
|ICD-10||I80.8 (ILDS I80.81)|
Mondor's disease (also known as "Mondor's syndrome of superficial thrombophlebitis") is a rare condition which involves thrombophlebitis of the superficial veins of the breast and anterior chest wall. It sometimes occurs in the arm or penis. In axilla, this condition is known as axillary web syndrome.
Patients with this disease often have abrupt onset of superficial pain, with possible swelling and redness of a limited area of their anterior chest wall or breast. There is usually a lump present, which may be somewhat linear and tender. Because of the possibility of the lump being from another cause, patients are often referred for mammogram and/or breast ultrasound.
Mondor's disease is self-limiting and generally benign. A cause is often not identified, but when found includes trauma, surgery, or inflammation such as infection. There have been occasional cases of associated cancer. Management is with warm compresses and pain relievers, most commonly NSAIDS such as ibuprofen. When thrombophlebitis affects the greater veins, it can progress into the deep venous system, and may lead to pulmonary embolism.
- "UOTW #43 - Ultrasound of the Week". Ultrasound of the Week. 2 April 2015. Retrieved 27 May 2017.
- Rapini, Ronald P.; Bolognia, Jean L.; Jorizzo, Joseph L. (2007). Dermatology: 2-Volume Set. St. Louis: Mosby. ISBN 1-4160-2999-0.[page needed]
- James, William D.; Berger, Timothy G.; et al. (2006). Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: clinical Dermatology. Saunders Elsevier. p. 827. ISBN 0-7216-2921-0.
- Shoham Y, Rosenberg N, Krieger Y, Silberstein E, Arnon O, Bogdanov-Berezovsky A (December 2011). "[Axillary web syndrome--a variant of Mondor's disease, following excision of an accessory breast]". Harefuah (in Hebrew). 150 (12): 893–4, 937, 936.
- Shetty MK, Watson AB (October 2001). "Mondor's disease of the breast: sonographic and mammographic findings". American Journal of Roentgenology. 177 (4): 893–6. PMID 11566698. doi:10.2214/ajr.177.4.1770893.
- Catania S, Zurrida S, Veronesi P, Galimberti V, Bono A, Pluchinotta A (May 1992). "Mondor's disease and breast cancer". Cancer. 69 (9): 2267–70. PMID 1562972. doi:10.1002/1097-0142(19920501)69:9<2267::aid-cncr2820690910>3.0.co;2-u.
- Menesez, Nelson. "Superficial thrombophebitis". MedScape. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Henri Mondor: Tronculite sous-cutanée subaiqure de la paroi thoracique antero-laterale, In: Mem. Acad. Chir. 1271, 1939