Schneiderlin with Manchester United in 2015
|Full name||Morgan Schneiderlin|
|Date of birth||8 November 1989|
|Place of birth||Zellwiller, France|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17 October 2015.
Morgan Schneiderlin (French pronunciation: [mɔʁgan ʃnedəʁlin]; born 8 November 1989) is a French professional footballer who plays as a defensive midfielder for English club Manchester United and the France national team.
Schneiderlin began his career with Strasbourg, before moving to England to join Southampton in June 2008. He made 260 appearances across all competitions in seven seasons at the club, and was in the teams which earned consecutive promotions to reach the Premier League. He joined Manchester United for a potential £27 million fee in July 2015.
Born in Zellwiller, Alsace, Schneiderlin started playing football with his friends at the local SR Zellwiller football ground, but began his career later with the major regional club RC Strasbourg's youth ranks in 1995, after members of his family brought him to one of the club's scouting sessions when he was five years old. After 10 years moving through the youth ranks, he signed his first professional contract with the club in 2005 and debuted for the B-team later that year. In 2006, he made his professional debut with the senior side and would go on to make four more appearances for the club, before being sold following the club's relegation during the 2007–08 Ligue 1 season.
Schneiderlin moved from Strasbourg to English Championship side Southampton on 27 June 2008, having signed a four-year contract in a deal that could rise to €1.5 million (£1.2 million). He joined Southampton despite receiving an offer from local rivals Portsmouth, then a Premier League team. He made his debut in the 2–1 defeat away to Cardiff City on 9 August 2008.
The Frenchman scored his first goal for Southampton at Bristol Rovers on 13 April 2010, with the match finishing in a 5–1 victory. Schneiderlin signed a new deal with Saints on 19 August 2011, to keep him at the club until the summer of 2014. On 24 September, he came off the bench to score his second goal for the club in a 1–1 draw at Burnley. He scored a 35-yard effort in a 3–0 victory at Nottingham Forest, meaning he had scored more than one goal in a season for the first time at Southampton.
After promotion to the Premier League, he kept his place in the side, playing the full 90 minutes of the opening game at Manchester City. On 2 September 2012, he scored a goal against Manchester United, giving his side a 2–1 lead but the club eventually fell 3–2 as Robin van Persie netted a hat-trick. He followed this up with another home goal in a 1–1 draw with Swansea City on 10 November, trapping a Rickie Lambert header with his chest and then placing the ball past onrushing goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel.
On 16 January 2013, he captained Southampton in a comeback which saw them draw 2–2 with European champions Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. He went on to score his third Premier League goal in a 2–2 draw with Wigan Athletic on 2 February, helping Southampton fight back from a goal down.
On 25 February 2013, Schneiderlin signed a new contract extension to keep him at Southampton until the summer of 2017. At the end of the season, Schneiderlin was credited for the most tackles, interceptions and highest work rate in the Premier League, establishing himself as one of the best holding midfielders in England. He picked up both the Players' Player and Fans' Player of the Year awards at Southampton's end of season awards.
Schneiderlin scored twice in a 3–1 win at West Ham United on 30 August 2014, equalling his goal tally from the previous season's Premier League campaign. He scored his third goal of the season against Newcastle United on 13 September, curling in a late strike past goalkeeper Tim Krul, as the Saints won 4–0. On 28 December, he was sent off two minutes from the end of a 1–1 home draw against Chelsea. He suffered a knee injury against Tottenham on 25 April 2015, ruling him out for the remainder of the season.
On 13 July 2015, Manchester United completed the signing of Schneiderlin for a fee of £24 million, which could increase to £27 million with add-ons. He signed a four-year contract with an option of a one-year extension.
Schneiderlin made his debut four days after signing, scoring the only goal,a header, as United beat Club América at the CenturyLink Field in Seattle on their pre-season tour. He made his Premier League debut on 8 August as the season opened with a 1–0 victory against Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford, being chosen by BBC Sport as the best of United's five debutants that day. He scored his first competitive goal for the club on 17 October, opening a 3–0 win away to Everton at Goodison Park.
Schneiderlin represented France at under-16, under-17, under-18 whom he captained, and under-19 levels.
In March 2006, he was selected by France to play in the 2007 UEFA European Under-17 Championship elite round qualification campaign, his début came against the Czech Republic. He played in two further games.
On 25 May 2009, he was selected in the under-20 squad to participate in the 2009 Mediterranean Games. Schneiderlin featured in three of the four matches contested as France finished in fifth place. The following year, he appeared with the under-20 team at the 2010 Toulon Tournament. In the opening game of the tournament against Colombia U20, Schneiderlin scored the first goal in the 34th minute, helping his side win the game 2–0.
In July 2010, he was part of France's team that attempted to qualify for the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship. He played against Malta U21s in a 2–0 victory under coach Erick Mombaerts.
In November 2013, various British media outlets reported that Schneiderlin was eligible to represent England. Under Article 8.1, Regulations Governing The Application Of The Statutes, FIFA Statutes, Schneiderlin is only eligible to represent France at international level as he has played at various age-levels in UEFA competitions prior to gaining British citizenship.
On 13 May 2014, France coach Didier Deschamps named Schneiderlin on the team's standby list for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. He was later called into the full squad following the withdrawal of the injured Franck Ribéry and Clément Grenier. On 8 June Schneiderlin made his international debut, replacing Karim Benzema for the final three minutes of an 8–0 friendly win against Jamaica in Lille.
His debut in the World Cup came 17 days later, when he played the full 90 minutes of a 0–0 draw with Ecuador at the Estádio Mané Garrincha in Brasília; Deschamps made six changes for this final group match due to France's previous good form. This was his only appearance at the tournament, in which France reached the quarter-finals.
- As of 25 November 2015.
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Europe/Other||Total|
|Manchester United||2015–16||Premier League||11||1||0||0||0||0||4||0||15||1|
- Appearance(s) in Football League Trophy
- As of matches played 17 November 2015.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 370. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil: List of Players" (PDF). FIFA.com (Fédération Internationale de Football Association). 11 June 2014. p. 2. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- Innes, Richard (14 July 2015). "Manchester United new boy Morgan Schneiderlin is top of the Premier League's defensive stats". Mirror.co.uk (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 4 August 2015.
Because these numbers prove Louis van Gaal has just signed the most effective defensive midfielder in the Premier League.
- Gray, Adam. Morgan Schneiderlin: Southampton's Tenacious Bull-Terrier. o.posts.com. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Morgan Schneiderlin, le ballon d'Alsace. sofoot.com. 24 June 2014 (French)
- Morgan Schneiderlin rappelé !. dna.fr. Retrieved 13 July 2015 (French)
- Retour aux sources pour l'international alsacien Morgan Schneiderlin. francebleu.fr. From 23 June 2015 (French)
- "Saints tie up Schneiderlin deal". BBC Sport. 27 June 2008. Retrieved 27 June 2008.
- "Cardiff 2–1 Southampton". BBC Sport. 9 August 2008. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Bristol Rovers 1–5 Southampton". BBC Sport. 13 April 2010. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- "RVP hat-trick sinks Saints". Sky Sports. 2 September 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Southampton 1–1 Swansea". BBC Sport. 10 November 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Southampton's Lambert and Puncheon knock Chelsea out of their stride". The Guardian. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "S Wigan 2–2 Southampton". BBC Sport. 2 February 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Schneiderlin Signs Until 2017". Southampton F.C. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Stats Zone Premier League Central Midfielder of the Year". fourfourtwo.com. 31 May 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Morgan Does the Double!". Southampton FC. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "West Ham 1–3 Southampton". BBC Sport. 30 August 2014. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Southampton 4–0 Newcastle". BBC Sport. 13 September 2014. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- McNulty, Phil (28 December 2014). "Southampton 1-1 Chelsea". BBC Sport. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Morgan Schneiderlin: Southampton midfielder out for season". BBC Sport. 30 April 2015. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- Fifield, Dominic (12 July 2015). "Manchester United get Southampton's Morgan Schneiderlin for £24m". The Guardian (Guardian News and Media). Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "United 1 Club America 0". manutd.com. 17 July 2015. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Magowan, Alistair (8 August 2015). "Man Utd 1-0 Tottenham". BBC Sport. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Everton 0–3 Man Utd". BBC Sport. 17 October 2015. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Morgan Schneiderlin – UEFA competition record
- "Morgan Equals Saints Tally!". Southampton F.C. 18 May 2010. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "France vs. Malta". uefa.com. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Southampton: Morgan Schneiderlin waits for France call". BBC Sport. 12 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Frenchman Schneiderlin on World Cup standby". Southampton Football Club. 13 May 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Southampton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin has been called into France's squad for the 2014 World Cup". Southampton: Daily Echo. 6 June 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "France 8–0 Jamaica". ESPN. 8 June 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Ecuador 0 France 0". BBC Sport. 25 June 2014. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Morgan Schneiderlin". RC Strasbourg Archive. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2008/2009". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2009/2010". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2010/2011". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2015/2016". Soccerbase. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Morgan Schneiderlin". National Football Teams. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Schneiderlin departs". Southampton FC. 13 July 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Morgan Schneiderlin.|