Mumbai Police Detection Unit
Gang wars in Mumbai
The Unit came to be known as the "Encounter Squad" because of its involvement in the encounter killings. It came into prominence in the 1980s and 1990s, when they started dealing with Dawood Ibrahim's D-Company gang, the Arun Gawali gang and the Amar Naik gang.
The 'encounter’, was a euphemism for a situation in which a gangster was cornered, asked to surrender, ostensibly attacked the police or tried to escape, and was shot dead in retaliatory action. As the encounters increased, so did the popularity of the "encounter specialist." Daya Nayak, Valentine Fernandes, Pradeep Sharma, Ravindranath Angre, Praful Bhosale, Raju Pillai, Vijay Salaskar, Shivaji Kolekar, Sachin Waze and Sanjay Kadam became cult figures, mythologised by the media.
The first encounter occurred on January 11, 1982 when gangster Manya Surve was shot dead by police officers Raja Tambat and Isaque Bagwan at the Wadala area. The famous killing of Maya Dolas in the 1991 Lokhandwala Complex shootout bought focus on this unit for first time. More than 400 criminals from different gangs were killed by this squad.
Since the cracking of the 1993 Mumbai Bomb blasts case, the squad played an instrumental role in controlling the Dawood Ibrahim, Chota Rajan, Ashwin Naik, Ravi Pujari, Ejaz Lakdawala, Ali Budesh, and Arun Gawli gangs in Mumbai.
Portrayals in popular culture
- Ab Tak Chhappan — Nana Patekar playing role of Sadhu Agashe based on Pradeep Sharma
- Company_(film) — Vivek Oberoi playing Chota Rajan, Mohanlal playing Encounter Squad Chief
- Shootout at Wadala — John Abraham playing Manya Surve, movie on Manya's Encounter,
- Shootout at Lokhandwala — Vivek Oberoi playing Maya Dolas, movie on Maya's Encounter,
- Aan: Men at Work — Character based on real-life inspectors
- Sarfarosh — Fictional story based upon the Indian underworld.
- Encounter: The Killing - It stars Naseeruddin Shah, Dilip Prabhavalkar and Tara Deshpande in pivotal roles.
- Garv — Brothers Salman and Arbaaz Khan play roles of inspectors of Encounter squad
- Golimaar - Gangaram (Gopichand) is an orphan who dreams of becoming a police officer from childhood
- Department-At least one further film is planned.
- Mumbai's infamous police 'encounter squad' dream of comeback - The Guardian, Sunday 6 March 2011
- Final Encounter
- City’s first encounter ended two years of urban dacoity - June 22, 2002, Express India
- "India can't keep a good don under". Asian times. 23 June 2007. Retrieved June 23, 2007.
- ALEX PERRY (January 6, 2003). "Urban Cowboys". TIME CNN. Retrieved on June 09, 2007
- Zubair Ahmed (June 9, 2004). "Bombay's crack Encounter Police". BBC NEWS. Retrieved on June 09, 2007
- Indian Express (11 December 2001). "Where Gangsters blinked first". in.news.yahoo. Retrieved on June 09, 2007
- "Mumbai’s ‘Dirty Harrys’ are back in action"
- "Rajan Gangster dead". times of India. 31 Oct 2007. Retrieved on Oct 31, 2007
- "Encounters on at Taj, Trident". NDTV.com. 27 November 2008. Retrieved November 27, 2008.
- A rare breed ...
- SHOOTOUT AT WADALA - JOHN ABRAHIM PLAYING ROLE OF MANIYA SURVE, MOVIE ON MANIYA'S ENCOUNTER,
- Urban Cowboys - TIME
- Bombay's crack 'encounter' police - BBC News
- India can't keep a good don down - Asia Times
- Encounter man Pradip Sharma completes 'century'
- India - Mumbai Mean Streets - ABC news
- Encounter specialists are back in action - Deccan Herald
- Rajan gangster shot dead - The Times of India