BSE: 539551NSE: NH
|Dr. Devi Shetty, Chairman
Dr. A Raghuvanshi, Vice Chairman, MD & Group CEO
Number of employees
|Slogan||Health for all. All for health.|
Narayana Health (formerly known as Narayana Hrudyalaya) is a multi-specialty hospital chain in India, headquartered in Bengaluru.
The company won the "Good Company" award for its quality, affordability and scale. The business model of Narayana Health became a Global Healthcare and Harvard Business School case study.  The hospital chain is among the largest telemedicine networks in the world.
Vision and values
The group was founded in 2000 by Dr. Devi Shetty under the guidance of the Asian Heart Foundation. Today, it has 31 hospitals in 19 locations. In 2013, Narayana Hrudayalaya Pvt. Ltd. changed its brand name to Narayana Health. Devi Shetty is the chairman of the group. A Raghuvanshi is the Vice Chairman, MD & Group CEO.
The chain has 1500 full-time Doctors and 15,000 employees. An average of 150 surgeries are performed every day and an average of around 80,000 outpatients are seen every month.
The first health city was set up in the outskirts of Bangalore (now Bengaluru). Spread over 25 acres (100,000 m2), it is located in the Bommasandra Industrial Area on Hosur Road in Bengaluru. NH Health City consists of a 1000-bed cardiac care hospital and a 1400-bed multi-specialty hospital, which has one of Asia's most advanced Cancer Care facility and India's largest Bone Marrow Transplant Unit. Narayana Health in association with Mrs. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw of Biocon has a cancer hospital.
Almost 42 heart surgeries and 24 open heart surgeries and 35 catheterization procedures daily and more than 95000 cardiac surgeries have been done since the chain’s existence. Their paediatric cardiac program is among the world’s largest programs. In addition, the group does over 2500 interventional cardiology procedures every month. A total of 15,000 coronary bypass grafting operations have been performed in the Bengaluru hospital. Their Bangalore cardiac unit (previously Narayana Hrudayalaya now Narayana Institute of Cardiac Sciences) is one of the world's largest heart hospitals. The hospital also receives patients from outside India, and has created a record of performing nearly 15,000 surgeries on patients from 25 foreign countries.
Mazumdar-Shaw Cancer Center, the oncology segment of Narayana Health, was established in 2009 at Bangalore.
Their Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Unit is situated at Mazumdar Shaw Cancer Center, Bangalore. It is a 14-bedded facility and it focuses on treatment of thalassemia. The unit can conduct 14 transplants at any given time and is the largest of its kind in the country.
The telemedicine service was started in 2002 to cater mainly to the rural populace in the country.Their telemedicine network connects to countries like Malaysia, Mauritius and Pakistan; with most of the cases referred through telemedicine being cardiac ones. ECG reports, Audio/Visual data, CT scans, X-rays, MRIs and their analysis are exchanged via the telephone line, broadband connection or satellite. The group is also a part of "The Karnataka Telemedicine Project" which was inaugurated on April 8, 2002 and links two rural hospitals in Saragur, Karnataka viz. the Chamarajnagar District Hospital and the Vivekananda Memorial Hospital with the Narayana Hrudayalaya.
Narayana Hrudayalaya was listed on the BSE and the NSE on the 6th of January, 2016. The stock soared upon debut, valuing the company at over 1 Billion USD.
Awards and Accolades
- WHO India conferred Public Health Champion Award under the category of Innovation
- Winner of Healthcare Leadership Awards by Stars of the Industry Group in 2 categories: Outstanding Achievement Awards Healthcare - Social Cause, Healthcare & Social Care Support Award and CEO of the Year
- Recognised among world's top 50 'BCG Local Dynamos 2014' for its operational excellence
- Gold Award winner in Customer Service by Asian Hospital Management Awards
- Winner of ABP News Brand Excellence Award
- India Health & Wellness Award - Superspeciality Hospital
- "Financial Times Arcelor Mittal Boldness in Business Awards 2013": Corporate Responsibility / Environment
- Porter Prize for Industry Architectural Shift (2013)
- Philanthropy Award, Forbes India (2013)
- Winner of Inc. India Innovative 100 Award (2013)
- NH ranked 36th among 'World's 50 most Innovative Companies' by Fast Company (2012)
- Frost and Sullivan India Healthcare Excellence Awards - Healthcare Provider Company of the Year (Revenue between INR 500-1000 Cr)
- NH Bangalore receives FICCI Healthcare Excellence Award for Addressing Industry Issues (2012)
- Speciality Hospital by CNBC & ICICI Lombard Healhcare for the category - Commendation for driving affordable and quality healthcare for all
Group Hospitals & Heart Centres
- Ahmedabad, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Bangalore, Narayana Institute of Cardiac Sciences
- Bangalore, Mazumdar Shaw Medical Center
- Bangalore, Chinmaya Narayana Superspeciality Centre
- Bangalore, MS Ramaiah Narayana Heart Centre
- Bangalore, St. Martha's Heart Centre
- Bangalore, Suguna Narayana Heart Centre
- Bangalore, Whitefield, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Bangalore, HSR Layout, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Davengere, SS Narayana Heart Centre
- Dharwad, SDM Narayana Heart Centre
- Bellary, NH Jindal Sanjeevani Multispeciality Hospital
- Berhampore, NH Rabindranath Thakur Diagnostics & Medical Care Centre
- Hyderabad, Malla Reddy Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Jaipur, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Jamshedpur, Brahmanand Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Kolar, RL Jalappa Narayana Heart Centre
- Kolkata, Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences
- Kolkata, Rotary Narayana Eye Hospital
- Kolkata, Rotary Narayana Multispecialty Hospital
- Kolkata, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital, Chunavati, Howrah
- Kolkata, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital, Andul Road, Howrah
- Kolkata, NH Narayana Multispeciality Hospital, Barasat.
- Mahuva, NH Hanumant Hospital
- Mysore, Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Palanpur, NH Mavjat Multispeciality Hospital
- Raipur, MMI Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- Shimoga, Sahyadri Narayana Multispeciality Hospital
- "Pulse On The Future". Online webpage of Businessworld. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Philanthropy Awards 2013". Online webpage of Forbes India. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "Quality, affordability and scale in healthcare: learning from Narayana". Online webpage of The Health Foundation Inspiring Improvement. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- Tarun Khanna, V. Kasturi Rangan (22 June 2005). "Narayana Hrudyalaya". Hbswk.hbs.edu HBS Premier Case Collection. Retrieved 2005-06-22.
- Nayantara Som. "A Whole New World". Online Webpage of the Express Healthcare Management. Indian Express Newspapers (Mumbai) Limited. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "Devi P. Shetty, Narayana Hrudayalaya Institute of Medical Sciences". Online Webpage of the Schwab Foundation. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "Narayana Health, Bengaluru". Online Webpage of Narayana Health. Archived from the original on 2007-06-03. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "Mazumdar-Shaw Cancer Centre at Narayana Health City opens largest bone marrow transplant unit". Online webpage of Pharmabiz News. Retrieved 2012-08-06.