Dharamshila Cancer Hospital and Research Centre
|Motto||Cancer is Curable|
|Type||Non-Government Voluntary Organization|
|Purpose||Cancer Care and Treatment, Cancer Research|
|Headquarters||Delhi and NCR, India|
|Dr. Suversha Khanna|
|Dharamshila Hospital and Research (DHRC)|
Dharamshila Hospital and Research Centre (DHRC) is the first and only cancer hospital of India that has been accredited by NABH. It is also accredited by NABH for its allied specialties and labs. Dr. S. Khanna is the founder of this hospital. She got it built on 19 April 1990 after her father died of cancer. Based in New Delhi, the hospital has a medical oncology centre, radiation oncology centre, and a surgical oncology centre to diagnose and treat cancers. The first phase of the hospital was commissioned on 1 July 1994 with 100 beds. The hospital has now expanded to 350 beds and is the largest cancer hospital of north India.
North India, until the early ‘90s, did not have full-fledged cancer hospitals. Patients and their families would either go to the 25-bed cancer wing of AIIMS, New Delhi or to the overcrowded Tata Memorial Hospital in Mumbai.
Dharamshila Cancer Foundation and Research Centre was registered as an NGO to start North India's first state-of-the-art comprehensive cancer care and research centre. The first phase of Dharamshila Hospital and Research Centre (DHRC) with 100 beds was commissioned in July 1994. In October, 2007, 250 more beds along with better cancer facilities were commissioned, making DHRC the largest cancer hospital of North India. 
The department of radio-diagnosis and imaging offers facilities for nuclear scans, PET-CT Scan, digital spiral CT scans, mammography, ultrasonography, echocardiography, endoscopies, digital radiography, CT and ultrasound-guided procedures.
The department of pathology offers facilities for cytology, histopathology, frozen sections, immunohistochemistry, tumour markers, haematology, cytochemistry, biochemistry, clinical pathology and microbiology.
The department of radiation oncology has two linear accelerators with IMRT capabilities, microselectron HDR with TCS remote after loading brachytherapy equipment for providing intraluminal, intracavitary, interstitial and surface mould radiation in 10–15 minutes, compared to two-three days by conventional methods; three treatment planning systems (including 3-D eclipse TPS) and inverse planning system, amorphous silicon online treatment port verification system and mould room facilities.
Recently Dharamshila Hospital And Research Centre (DHRC) has taken another pioneering step for advanced cancer treatment by commissioning Delhi’s first Linear Accelerator with VMAT technology. The new technology delivers targeted radiation. It delivers IMRT, IGRT, SRS, SRT, and SBRT with Arc Therapy.
The department of surgical oncology has seven modern operation theatres, fitted with laminar flows, and hepafilters and endoscopy suite to offer all types of diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopies. The department performs cancer surgeries including routine, high risk and emergency surgeries.
Dharamshila Hospital has recently started dedicated 21 beded Bone and Blood Marrow Transplant unit with Haplo identical bone marrow transplant facilities.
The department of medical oncology provides chemotherapy, immunological/biological therapy, hormonal therapies, targeted therapies, neutropenic care, nutritional therapy, blood and blood component therapy, palliative and supportive care. These core departments are supported by consultants from anaesthesiology, cardiology, dental, dermatology, diabetology, ENT, endocrinology, emergency services, gynaecology and obstetrics. Other supporting specialities include gastroenterology, gastro intestinal surgery, general, neuro, paediatric and laparoscopic surgery, internal medicine, nephrology, and neurology. For post-operative continuing therapy, the Hospital can also call on specialists from ophthalmology, orthopaedics, occupational therapy, paediatrics, plastic and maxillo facial surgery, psychiatry, pulmonology, physiotherapy, pharmacy and urology. Thus almost all imaginable consequences are catered for in one location.
The main departments at DHRC are:
- Radiation Oncology
- Surgical Oncology
- Medical Oncology
- Haemato Oncology & Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Gynae Oncology
- Radiology & Imaging
- Pathology & Blood Bank
- Anesthesiology and ICU
- Allied Services
To offer its patients complete cancer care under one roof, DHRC also has other departments that deal in the following allied specialities:
- Internal Medicine
- Plastic Surgery
- Pain Clinic
- First and only NABH accredited cancer hospital in India.
- First cancer hospital of India, certified for implementing integrated quality and environment management systems conforming to ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001:2004 standards by TUV Germany.
- First hospital in India, given accreditation by National Board of Examination for the Diplomate National Board (DNB) Programme in medical and surgical oncology.
- Only hospital in India, treating brain tumors with interstitial implants using Microselectron HDR with TCS (brachytherapy).
- First private sector cancer hospital in North India to commission, digital, dual energy, solid state, linear accelerator, 3D TPS and CT Simulation.
- First private sector Blood Bank of North India with cold room storage facilities for 8000 fresh frozen plasma and 2000 blood units.
- First private sector cancer hospital in North India, to start treating acute leukemias in a dedicated leukemia wing.
- Only cancer hospital, planning treatment of each and every patient in multi-specialty Tumor Board.
- First cancer hospital in India giving intra-arterial, intra-hepatic chemotherapy by continuous method using electronic pumps.
- First awake craniotomy performed on 18.03.2004.
- First medical oncologist of India trained in DNB Medical Oncology (2001–2004)
International Patient Services
The hospital has set up a special division to look after the needs of International Patients and make their stay comfortable. DHRC regularly receives cancer patients from USA, Australia, Netherlands, Yemen, Sudan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Iraq, Afghanistan, Nigeria and Iran. Hospital has recognized the importance of Medical tourism in India. DHRC regularly organizes medical camps in African Countries as well as Middle East Countries.
- Dr Suversha Khanna
- Dr Anshuman Kumar
- "Cancer Related Institutes". Indian Association for Cancer Research.
- "Dharamshila Hospital & Research Centre". Indian Express.
- Dharamshila Hospital & Research Centre
- "NABH Accredited Hospitals". NABH.