Harduaganj, Aligarh, North-Western Provinces(Now Uttar Pradesh), British India
|Died||21 August 1932
Harduaganj, Aligarh, North-Western Provinces, British India
|Residence||"Shankar Sadan", Harduaganj, Aligarh, North-Western Provinces, British India|
|Children||Hari Shankar Sharma|
Nathuram Sharma (Hindi: नाथूराम शर्मा), better known by his pen-name Shankar (Hindi: शंकर), (1859–1932) was a Hindi and Urdu poet from Harduaganj, Aligarh, North-Western Provinces (Now Uttar Pradesh), British India. He worked with the Irrigation Department at Kanpur and subsequently as an Ayurvedic physician. His poetic works are primarily in the dialects of Braj Bhasha and Khariboli. He was write of Modern Period.
Shankar was born in 1859 in Harduaganj, Aligarh, North-Western Provinces(Now Uttar Pradesh), British India, and received his early education at the local primary school. In 1874 when he was student of Middle Class, English Educational Inspector E. T. Constable inspected the school. Constable was impressed with his talent and knowledge and commented in the inspection book: "Nathuram is an intelligent student, full of promise."
His poetic works include: Anurag ratna, Shankar saroj, Garbhranda rahasya, Gitavali, Kavita kunj, Doha, Samasyapurtiyan, Vividh rachnayen, Kalit kalewar and Shankar satsai. Influenced by the Arya Samaj movement, he was a social reformer who used his mastery of language effectively to this purpose.
Notable work on his life
Books on his life
- Mahakavi shankara Smratiai Grantha which -Published by Mahakavi Sankar Smarka Samiti,Harduaganj(Aligarh), in 1986.
- Nathurama Sharma Shankar ki kavya-sadhana by Vasanti Salavekara & Published by-Vinaya Prakashan in 1994
- Vaidik Geetanjali by Deshraj Singh & Published by- Mahakavi Sankar Smarka Samiti,Harduaganj(Aligarh)in 2013
- Pande, V.R. (1992). The Encyclopaedia Of Indian Literature. Five. Sahitya Akademi: New Delhi. p. 3971. ISBN 978-81-260-1221-3.
-  Nāthūrāma Śarmā Śaṅkara kī kāvya-sādhanā(1994) : Study of the works of Nāthūrāmaśaṅkara Śarmā, 1859-1932, Hindi poet.
-  Mahākavi Śaṅkara-smr̥ti-grantha(1986):Commemoration volume for Nāthūrāmaśaṅkara Śarmā, 1859-1932, Hindi poet; comprises articles on his life and works.
- Modern Indian literature, an anthology, Volume 1, Surveys & Poems, K. M. George (ed.),Sāhitya Akādemī: New Delhi (1992), p. 149
- History of Indian Literature: 1911-1956, struggle for freedom : triumph and tragedy, Sisir Kumar Das (ed.), Sahitya Akademi: New Delhi (1995), p. 199, ISBN 81-7201-798-7
- BrandBihar.com poem in Hindi.
- Nathuram Shankar Sharma"Shankar" at KavitKosh
- Nathuram Shankar Sharma"Shankar" at Hindi Sathiya.org