|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Observed by||18 countries|
Heroes' Day or National Heroes' Day may refer to a number of commemorations of national heroes in different countries. It is often held on the birthday of a national hero or heroine, or the anniversary of their great deeds that made them heroes.
- 1 National Heroes' Day in Angola
- 2 National Heroes Day in the Bahamas
- 3 National Heroes' Day in Barbados
- 4 Heroes' Day in Cape Verde
- 5 Heroes' Day in the Cayman Islands
- 6 Heroes' Day in East Timor
- 7 Heroes' Day in Indonesia
- 8 Heroes' Day in Jamaica
- 9 Heroes' Day in Kenya
- 10 Heroes' Day in Mozambique
- 11 Heroes' Day in Namibia
- 12 National Heroes' Day in the Philippines
- 13 Heroes' Day in Romania
- 14 Heroes Day in Rwanda
- 15 National Heroes Day in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- 16 Heroes' Day in South Africa
- 17 National Heroes' Day in Sri Lanka
- 18 National Heroes' Day in Turks and Caicos Islands
- 19 Heroes' Day in Uganda
- 20 National Heroes Day in the United Kingdom
- 21 Heroes' Day in Zambia
- 22 National Heroes' Day in Zimbabwe
- 23 References
National Heroes' Day in Angola
National Heroes Day in the Bahamas
National Heroes' Day in Barbados
Heroes' Day in Cape Verde
Heroes' Day in the Cayman Islands
The fourth Monday in January is National Heroes' Day in the Cayman Islands; it was proclaimed with the National Heroes Law, providing for the declaration of persons who have rendered exceptional service as national heroes. Numerous Caymanians have been declared national heroes, includes the Hon. James (Jim) Manoah Bodden, Mrs. Sybil I. McLaughlin, Mr. Thomas William Farrington, Mrs. Sybil Joyce Hylton, Mr. Desmond Vere Watler, Ms Mary Evelyn Wood, Cert. Hon. and William Warren Conolly.
Heroes' Day in East Timor
Heroes' Day in Indonesia
Hari Pahlawan is observed every 10 November to commemorate heavy fighting between Indonesian nationalist militias and British Allied forces at Surabaya, East Java on 10 November 1945. This was the first large-scale international armed conflict involving Indonesia after its Proclamation of Independence on 17 August 1945.
Heroes' Day in Jamaica
Heroes' Day in Kenya
Mashujaa Day is a national holiday in Kenya, which is celebrated to collectively honour all those who contributed towards the struggle for Kenya's independence. It is observed on 20 October.
Heroes' Day in Mozambique
Heroes' Day in Namibia
26 August is Heroes' Day in Namibia. It marks the beginning of the armed struggle during the Namibian War of Independence.
National Heroes' Day in the Philippines
National Heroes Day is a national public holiday in the Philippines to honor the country's heroes (unspecified) and is held on the last Monday of every August to mark the anniversary of the Cry of Pugad Lawin, the beginning of the Philippine Revolution by the Katipunan and its Supremo Andrés Bonifacio in 1896.
Heroes' Day in Romania
Heroes' Day in Romania is celebrated on the 40th day from the Orthodox Easter. Not a public holiday; observed with military and religious festivities at the monuments dedicated to the national heroes (such as the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier).
Heroes Day in Rwanda
National Heroes Day in Saint Kitts and Nevis
Heroes' Day in South Africa
National Heroes' Day in Sri Lanka
National Heroes Day in Sri Lanka is celebrated every 28 November. It has been celebrated since 1818 Kandyan rebellion against British invasion in Sri Lanka. This year (2013), 195th commemoration of National Heroes Day of Sri Lanka was held by the sponsorship of the Sri Lankan Government.
National Heroes' Day in Turks and Caicos Islands
Heroes' Day in Uganda
Heroes' Day in Uganda takes place every 9 June.
National Heroes Day in the United Kingdom
The United Kingdom first celebrated a National Heroes Day in 2011, on 21 October (the same day as the victory at Battle of Trafalgar). It was founded by Danny Glavin, a teacher from Fareham, Hampshire. After hearing about the tragic death of his childhood friend whilst serving in Afghanistan, he decided to fund-raise for a military charity in his memory. The day was endorsed by Prime Minister David Cameron. Now Glavin has founded The Inspiration Federation and coordinates the Heroes Day Educational Programme] within schools across the United Kingdom.
Heroes' Day in Zambia
Heroes' Day in Zambia is a public holiday observed on the first Monday of July. The day honors citizens accorded the status of heroes and heroines.[by whom?] However, this day is more correlated to the Zambia International Trade Fair on which, including Unity Day, employees rest. It is a memorial day for those who perished during the independence struggles.
National Heroes' Day in Zimbabwe
Heroes' Day in Zimbabwe is a public holiday observed on the second Monday in August.
- "History of Barbados, The Parliament of Barbados". Barbadosparliament.com. Archived from the original on 23 May 2007. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Content Manager 03 (24 August 2014). "NATIONAL HEROeS DAY". Presidential Library and Museum. Republic of the Philippines. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "CARICOM listing of Turks and Caicos holidays". Caricom.org. 1991-07-02. Archived from the original on 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2012-05-16.
- "News about the day in Turks and Caicos". Reefnews.com. 1999-02-26. Retrieved 2012-05-16.
- The Inspiration Federation website; accessed 20 May 2015.
- News, The. "Mayor Supports Heroes Day". www.portsmouth.co.uk. The News. Retrieved 20 May 2015.