|Directed by||Rohan Sippy|
|Produced by||Bhushan Kumar
Roopa de Choudhury
|Screenplay by||Rohan Sippy
|Story by||Benoit Graffin
Kunaal Roy Kapur
|Music by||Falak Shabir
|Edited by||Aarif Sheikh|
|Distributed by||R.S. Entertainment|
|Box office||₹22.32 crore (US$3.5 million)
Nautanki Saala! is an Indian romantic, comedy film directed by Rohan Sippy, starring Ayushmann Khurrana and Kunaal Roy Kapur along with Pooja Salvi, Evelyn Sharma and Gaelyn Mendonca. The story is based upon the 2003 French comedy film Après Vous.
The film was produced by Ramesh Sippy, Bhushan Kumar, Krishan Kumar and Roopa de Choudhury under the banner of Super Cassettes Industries Ltd. in association with R.S. Entertainment. The first look of Nautanki Saala! was released on 2 October 2012. Ayshmann Khurrana has sung again in Nautanki Saala!. Upon release, Bhushan Kumar declared the movie as a "winner in all the aspects".
Abhishek Bachchan has done a cameo in the film for his friend, director Rohan Sippy. Bhushan Kumar finalised 12 April 2013 for Nautanki Saala!. He wanted a longer campaign of eight weeks for promotion. The first promo of Nautanki Saala! was attached with Special 26.
The story is about the friendship and the bonding between RP and Mandar and how they face problems and solve them.
Ram Parmar a.k.a. RP (Ayushmann Khurrana) is in meeting with a psychiatrist for problems he's experiencing due to three break-ups in last three months. The film runs in a narrative mode. RP is a successful theater artist portraying the role of Raavan. One day while returning home, he witnesses Mandar Lele (Kunaal Roy Kapur) attempting suicide. He saves him and brings home. Mandar is devastated because of his break-up with Nandini (Pooja Salvi) and attempted suicide because he thinks he is worthless. As Ram is a helping guy, he tries solving out Mandar's problems and probes into his life. He offers him the role of Lord Ram in his theater play. He finds Nandini and tries reuniting her with Mandar. While doing this he lies many times to his close friend Sita (Evelyn Sharma) and girlfriend Chitra (Gaelyn Mendonca). The latter ultimately breaks up with him. During this, Ram falls for Nandini who reciprocates his feelings. Meanwhile, Mandar is coming back to normal. Ram feels he is cheating his friend; he breaks-off with Nandini and makes arrangements so that Nandini and Mandar meet. Unfortunately all this is revealed to Mandar and Nandini. Ram ultimately loses his girlfriend, his love and friend.
Returning to present day, the psychiatrist suggests RP to apologise to all three, which may suffice in resolving the problems. Mandar returns to RP's play in the role of Hanuman and unites Nandini with RP. After doing so, he leaves with Sita.
- Ayushmann Khurrana as Ram Parmar a.k.a. R.P
- Pooja Salvi as Nandini Patel
- Kunaal Roy Kapur as Mandar Lele
- Evelyn Sharma as Sita Devi
- Gaelyn Mendonca as Chitra Singh
- Abhishek Bachchan in a special appearance
In early 2012, Bhushan Kumar and Rohan Sippy announced their first collaboration of working together to give out a romantic comedy film. Abhishek Bachchan, always a lucky mascot in Rohan Sippy’s movies, announced that he would not be a part of the movie as the lead role. Bachchan Jr revealed that he has a cameo in this film. Later in June 2012, Rohan and Bhushan Kumar announced that the lead actors of the movie to be Ayushmann Khurrana (Vicky Donor fame) and Kunaal Roy Kapur (last seen in Delhi Belly).
The entire star cast of the movie being young and the leading female actors are also new. This will be Ayushmann’s second movie after Vicky Donor. Prior to movies, he has been a VJ with a popular youth channel as well as an RJ in Chandigarh. Kunaal on the other hand was last seen in Delhi Belly. The leading ladies of the movie are Pooja Salvi, Evelyn Sharma and Gaelyn Mandonca. Nautanki Saala! will be MTV VJ Gaelyn's and a number of television ads old model Pooja’s debut, while it will be Evelyn's fifth Bollywood film to release.
The shoot went on floors on 22 July 2012 and the movie was entirely shot in Mumbai with major part of the movie being night sequences. The first look and announcement of the movie was made in October 2012 by T-Series productions
The soundtrack for the film is romantic, lively and situational. Various music composers have made compositions in the album, including Falak, Mikey McCleary, Rashid Khan.
Post Khurana’s successful singing debut in Vicky Donor, Bhushan Kumar and Rohan Sippy decided on making Khurana sing in this movie as well. Ayushmann has sung two songs in the movie that are romantic, youthful and connect well with the audience. After Paani Da Rang, Ayushmann Khurana captures the audience with his Saadi Galli Aaja in Nautanki Saala!
Bhushan Kumar gave the rights of "Dhak Dhak" (Beta) song to be reinvented the used in Nautanki Saala!. The song became an instant hit thus connecting highly with the audience and topping the music charts.
The soundtrack got positive critical reception. Well known music critic Sumit Sharma of Gomolo & DJMaza stated, "The soundtrack is truly noteworthy and a commixture of delightful melodies, sumptuous & scrumptious tracks and some Oaky Chartbusters. It's a Tuneful Soundtrack Of Musical Nautanki." and gave the album a rating of 4.5/5. Goku! of Indibeats!, gave the album a rating of 4/5 saying, "The composers have succeeded in bringing together some smart tracks so rich in melody and so varied in genres with immense repeat quality."
|1.||"Mera Mann Kehne Laga"||Falak Shabir||Falak||3:46|
|2.||"Saadi Galli Aaja"||Ayushmann Khurrana,||Ayushmann Khurrana, Neeti Mohan||4:14|
|3.||"Dhak Dhak"||Anand-Milind||Saba Azad, Geet Sagar, Bruno Carvalo, Santosh Sawant||3:39|
|4.||"Tu Hi Tu"||Mikey McCleary||Ayushmann Khurrana||3:59|
|5.||"Draamebaaz"||Mikey McCleary||Geet Sagar||3:24|
|6.||"Sapna Mera Toota"||Rashid Khan||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Hashim Sabri, Aftab||5:52|
|7.||"Dil Ki Toh Lag Gayi"||Mikey McCleary||Saba Azad||4:11|
|8.||"So Gaya Yeh Jahan"||Laxmikant-Pyarelal||Nitin Mukesh||3:46|
|9.||"Mera Mann Kehne Laga (Reprise)"||Falak Shabir||Falak Shabir||4:20|
|10.||"Saadi Galli Aaja (Unplugged)"||Ayushmann Khurrana||Ayushmann Khurrana||3:22|
|11.||"Mera Mann Kehne Laga (Female)"||Falak shabir||Tulsi Kumar||4:24|
|12.||"Saadi Galli Aaja (Remix)"||Ayushmann Khurrana, Rochak Kohli||Ayushmann Khurrana, Neeti Mohan||3:26|
|13.||"Mera Mann Kehne Laga (Remix)"||Falak Shabir||Falak Shabir||4:39|
The film received positive reviews from various critics praising the comedy of errors factor and lead actors performances. It got an aggregate review score of 3/5 from all sites at reviewbol.com. Sukanya Verma for Rediff.com has given 2.5/5 stars and says Nautanki Saala! plot seems better-suited for a sitcom episode. Anupama Chopra on Hindustan Times gave it a rating of 2 and a half saying "Nautanki Saala! has all the ingredients of a peppy, amiable comedy but this soufflé doesn’t quite rise."
|indicates that the given rating is an average rating of all reviews provided by the source|
Nautanki Saala! opened slowly while picked up at evening especially at multiplexes on day one and collected around ₹3 crore (US$470,000) nett. The film raked ₹11.25 crore (US$1.7 million) over its first weekend. During its first week, the movie grossed around ₹16.50 crore (US$2.6 million).
- Produced (13 July 2012). "Bhushan Kumar to co-produce Rohan Sippy’s next". Screen India.
- Shah, Kunal (20 July 2012). "Dream debut for Pooja Salvi". Mid-day. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Who will audiences prefer: Pooja Salvi or Evelyn Sharma : EYECATCHERS". India Today. 2012-07-27. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- "Nautanki Saala Official Theatrical Trailer". T Series. 2013-02-06. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "'Nautanki Saala' makers to wait and watch". Mid-day.com. 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- "Ayushmann plays 'Raavan' in 'Nautanki Saala'". Yahoo!. 2012-11-20. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- Koimoi.com Team. "Nautanki Saala Releases February 8th, 2013". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- "First Look: Rohan Sippy, Bhushan Kumar's 'Nautanki Saala'". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- "Ayushmann to sing for Rohan Sippy's 'Nautanki Saala!'". The Indian Express. 2012-08-17. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- Abhishek (29 June 2012). "Abhishek is my lucky charm". Mid Day.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana's second film Nautanki Saala to clash with IPL again". Movies.ndtv.com. 2012-12-23. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- "First Look of Nautanki Saala with Special 26". BollywoodHungama.com. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- "Ayushmann, not Abhishek, to be the lead face in Rohan Sippy's next". Glamsham. 2 July 2012.
- Lead Characters (27 June 2012). "Ayushmann-Kunal Roy Kapoor in Rohan Sippy’s romcom". TOI.
- Evelyn Sharma. "Evelyn Sharma to Star With Ayushmann Khurrana in Rohan Sippy’s Next Film". Miss Malani.
- Pooja Salvi (20 July 2012). "Dream debut for Pooja Salvi". Mid Day.
- Evelyn Sharma (27 July 2012). "Evelyn Sharma bags fifth film before her Bollywood debut". Zee News.
- Shoot (1 August 2012). "Abhishek Bachchan does a nautanki". Mumbai Mirror.
- First Look (3 October 2012). "Ayushmann Khurana starrer NAUTANKI SAALA will release on 8th February 2013". Yahoo!.
- Song (28 September 2012). "My song definitely part of 'Nautanki Saala': Ayushmann". Mid Day.
- "Ayushmann records two songs for 'Nautanki Saala!'". Mid Day. 17 October 2012.
- Dhak Dhak (9 August 2012). "Bhushan gives his film rights to Dhak Dhak...". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Evelyn Sharma to go 'Dhak Dhak' for 'Nautanki Saala'". Mid Day. 5 November 2012.
- Sumit Sharma, Gomolo. "Tuneful Soundtrack Of Musical Nautanki.".
- Goku!, Indibeats!. "Nautanki Saala Music Review".
- "Nautanki Saala : Reviewbol". Reviewbol.com. 2013-04-12. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- Sukanya Verma. "Review: Nautanki Saala stretches for too long". Rediff.com. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Anupama Chopra's review: Nautanki Saala!". Hindustan Times. 2013-04-12. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- "Commando And Nautanki Saala Weekend Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Commando And Nautanki Saala First Week Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 18 April 2013.