Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Shoojit Sircar|
|Produced by||John Abraham|
|Written by||Juhi Chaturvedi|
|Edited by||Shekhar Prajapati|
|Distributed by||John Abraham Entertainment|
|Box office||₹66.32 crore|
Vicky Donor is a 2012 Indian romantic comedy film directed by Shoojit Sircar and produced by actor John Abraham and Eros International. The film stars Ayushmann Khurrana (in his debut film) along with Yami Gautam and Annu Kapoor in the lead roles. The concept is set against the background of sperm donation and infertility within a Bengali-Punjabi household. The film was released on 13 April 2012 at around 750 screens in India. The film opened to critical acclaim and performed strongly at the box office. It became a commercial success grossing ₹66.32 crore worldwide, against a budget of ₹15 crore.
The film won the National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment at the 60th National Film Awards. The film was remade in Telugu as Naruda Donoruda (2016) and in Tamil as Dharala Prabhu (2020).
Dr. Baldev Chaddha (Annu Kapoor) is a fertility expert who runs a clinic and a sperm bank in Daryaganj, Delhi that guarantees high-quality sperm for couples. Unfortunately, he has more failed cases than successes. He is on the lookout for a healthy and high-performing donor.
Vicky Arora (Ayushmann Khurrana) hails from a Punjabi family and is the only son of his widowed mother Dolly (Dolly Ahluwalia), who runs a small beauty parlour in Lajpat Nagar. They live with their grandmother. Vicky is a vagabond who provides no financial support to the household and starts searching for a job that will provide them with a better lifestyle.
Chaddha meets Vicky and likes his happy-go-lucky nature. He believes Vicky is the donor he has been looking for. He stalks him and eventually painstakingly convinces him to become a sperm donor. Though Vicky is hesitant at first, he accepts after receiving a high salary. He hides his career after facing ridicule from his friends, but starts spending wildly, renovating his house and the parlour.
Vicky meets an ambitious accountant Ashima Roy (Yami Gautam) at the bank and they fall in love after going out a number of times. They soon wish to get married, but as a divorced Bengali bank employee wanting to get married to a carefree man from a loud Punjabi family, the couple faces backlash from their families eventually managing to get their approval. Vicky continues to hide his occupation, and stops donating sperm after getting married, ignoring Chaddha who continues to chase Vicky as he is his most successful donor.
In an ironic turn, the couple discovers Ashima is infertile. They wish to get both of them tested, but Vicky cannot take the fertility test and is forced to admit to being a sperm donor. Taken aback by her husband's strange career, Ashima leaves for her paternal home. Vicky is heartbroken and cuts all ties with Chaddha.
The parlour is soon raided by income tax officers due to their frivolous renovations. Vicky is arrested on suspicion of handling black money but is bailed out by Dr. Chaddha, who reveals his occupation to his family members. Vicky's mother is disgusted and also apologises to Ashima. Vicky's grandmother and Ashima's father make them understand how Vicky's deed has helped a lot of families bear children and ask them to have a progressive take on this.
Chaddha calls Vicky and Ashima to an event he has hosted where all families that Vicky helped bear children are present, and helps Ashima see how his step helped them find happiness. He also introduces them to a little child who has lost her parents and suggest the couple adopt her. Ashima begins to see reason and understands. The couple reunites, adopts the little girl, and Vicky continues to occasionally donate sperm for Chaddha's clinic.
- Ayushmann Khurrana as Vicky Arora a.k.a Vicky Donor
- Yami Gautam as Ashima '' Tuna'' Arora ( Nee' Roy) , Vicky's Wife
- Annu Kapoor as Dr. Baldev Chaddha
- Dolly Ahluwalia as Mrs. Dolly Arora (Vicky's Mother)
- Kamlesh Gill as Biji
- Puja Gupta as Shweta (Vicky's Neighbour)
- Jayant Das as Mr. Roy (Ashima's Father)
- Swaroopa Ghosh as Pishi (Ashima's Aunt)
- Inderpal Singh as Tayaji
- Bupesh Pandya as Chaman (Dr. Chadhha's Assistant)
- K.V Rajni as nurse Lata.
- Paramjyot Singh as Vicky's Mama Ji
- John Abraham as himself in the song "Rum Whisky"
Themes and development
Vicky Donor deals with sperm donation and infertility. When questioned about the risky subject matter, Abraham responded, "Basically, Vicky Donor is a romantic comedy. But the concept is set against the background of sperm donation." Abraham hoped that the film could shed light on a serious issue still considered "taboo" in Indian society.
Sircar said, "I want to take a light-hearted look at the taboo attached to infertility and artificial insemination." Before filming began, Sircar researched the plot themes for three years. Juhi Chaturvedi, creative director at advertising agency Bates, who wrote the screenplay based on her own idea, had stayed in Lajpat Nagar as a student at College of Arts, Delhi. As the script went through several drafts, she met a couple who run a noted fertility clinic in Mumbai.
Despite the usual trend, Abraham did not take up the leading role in the film: "It was a conscious decision to not act in my first production because I believe producing a film is about creating quality content that I believe in." Director Sircar suggested Khurrana, a video jockey and television host, for the role of Vicky; he was considered because he was popular among the youth. He "can read and write Punjabi too." Khurrana turned down three film projects to play the lead in Vicky Donor. To prepare for the role, he met medical experts and donors to understand sperm donation; a major medical consultant specialising in the field was later inducted as a medical adviser for the film. Additionally, Khurrana studied acting and attended workshops with N.K. Sharma in Delhi. It was later reported that Abraham would perform an "item number." Commenting on his performance, Abraham said "I am glad I cast Ayushmann in the lead. He's a complete natural, has all the trappings of a fine actor and has delivered a super performance. It doesn't seem like Vicky Donor is his first film." It was reported that the production crew would feature "the best technicians from Los Angeles" and acclaimed action choreographer J J Perry. Incidentally, Ayushmann who plays the lead role, successfully performed a task on the reality show MTV Roadies: Season 2, which was sperm donation.
Blessy Chettiar of DNA India rated the film with and said, "Run to the nearest theatre and surrender yourself to charm of Vicky and his team. This "Aryaputra" provides only good quality entertainment." Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times of India gave Vicky Donor and said, "It takes a man to make a film like this, literally. Kudos to John Abraham for his brave maiden production. Thankfully, this sperm hits bullseye." Mathures Paul of The Statesman gave the film and wrote, "Vicky Donor is an admirable movie that is at once simple, emotional, daring and in your face."
The film had an opening at the box office worldwide and collected ₹18.8 million (US$260,000) on its first day in India. Vicky Donor showed good growth on Saturday as all India collections jumped around 35%–40%; it collected around ₹26.0 million (US$360,000) nett taking its two-day business to ₹45.0 million (US$630,000) nett. The film got tough competition from Housefull 2 in its first week of theatrical run in India. Vicky Donor is the 3rd small-budget film of 2012 after Paan Singh Tomar and Kahaani to receive such an acceptance by critics, multiplex goers and urban audience. It grossed ₹32.5 million (US$460,000) nett on Sunday. Vicky Donor had a decent three-day weekend as it grossed around ₹77.5 million (US$1.1 million) nett over its first weekend.
It had a good first week of around ₹135.0 million (US$1.9 million) nett. Vicky Donor had an excellent second week collecting around ₹112.5 million (US$1.6 million) nett taking its two-week total to around ₹255.0 million (US$3.6 million) nett. Vicky Donor continued its strong run into the third week and totally grossed ₹405.0 million (US$5.7 million).
Grosses are as follow:
- UK: £90,329 ($140,600)
- USA: $466,467
- UAE: $286,000
- Australia: $88,682
Total: $1.2 million (65 million)
Awards and nominations
Sequel and remakes
After the major critical and commercial success of the film, producer John Abraham announced that he was encouraged by the response of Vicky Donor and has therefore laid a sequel on the cards.
Dileep has bought the remake rights for the Malayalam version. Telugu director Madhura Sreedhar bought the remake rights of the film for the Telugu version named Naruda Donoruda starring Sumanth. It was remade in Tamil as Dharala Prabhu starring Harish Kalyan.
|Soundtrack album by |
Abhishek-Akshay, Bann, Rochak Kohli and Ayushmann Khurrana
|Released||29 February 2012|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Singles from Vicky Donor|
The soundtrack album features eight tracks which were composed by Abhishek-Akshay, Bann, Rochak Kohli and Ayushmann Khurrana. All of them were contributed two tracks each. Actor Khurrana also composed and sung the track "Pani Da Rang" which was released as a single on 1 February 2012. The song was well received by music listeners. The song has a female version composed by Khurrana, and it was sung by Sukanya Purkayastha. The entire album released by Eros Music on 29 February 2012.
The soundtrack album received positive reviews from critics. IBNlive.in says "Vicky Donor album tracks are worth listening and contain rawness." Ayushmann Khurrana won Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer at 58th Filmfare Awards for "Pani Da Rang."
|1.||"Rokda"||Akshay Verma||Abhishek-Akshay||Akshay Verma, Aditi Singh Sharma||4:28|
|2.||"Kho Jaane Do"||Juhi Chaturvedi||Rochak Kohli||Clinton Cerejo, Aditi Singh Sharma||4:57|
|3.||"Rum Whisky"||Kusum Verma||Abhishek-Akshay||Akshay Verma||4:04|
|4.||"Pani Da Rang" (Male)||Ayushmann Khurrana, Rochak Kohli||Ayushmann Khurrana||Ayushmann Khurrana||4:00|
|5.||"Mar Jayian" (Romantic)||Swanand Kirkire||Bann||Vishal Dadlani, Sunidhi Chauhan||4:48|
|6.||"Chaddha"||Vijay Maurya||Rochak Kohli||Mika Singh||3:50|
|7.||"Pani Da Rang" (Female)||Ayushmann Khurrana, Rochak Kohli||Ayushmann Khurrana||Sukanya Purkayastha||4:49|
|8.||"Mar Jayian" (Sad)||Swanand Kirkire||Bann||Bann||4:14|
- Zinia Sen, TNN (2 June 2012). "Sperm's part of daily vocab now: Shoojit Sircar". The Times of India.
- "Every filmmaker lives for this moment". Rediff.com. 27 April 2012.
- "John Abraham turns producer with Vicky Yadav". NDTV. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "So what's a sperm?".
- "Juhi Chaturvedi Filmography". Movietalkies.com. 21 January 2013.
- 'Vicky Yadav' is not about sex education: Writer Archived 29 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Vicky Yadav's music scores a hit". The Times of India. 17 April 2012.
- "VICKY DONOR (12A) – British Board of Film Classification". 17 April 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- Khuranaa, Amann (12 October 2015). "Talvar to Vicky Donor: Low Budget Films that Won Our Hearts". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Bennett, Coleman. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Saini, MInakshi (16 February 2012). "John Abraham proud of his first 'baby'". hindustantimes.com. HT Media. Archived from the original on 19 February 2012.
- "Vicky Donor Cast & Crew". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Vicky Donor Continues Strong Run Emerges SUPER HIT". Box Office India.
- Box Office: 'Vicky Donor' earns Rs 22 crore, becomes a hit "Donor's Circle". The Indian Express. 18 April 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Vicky Donor walks away with cake". Daily.bhaskar.com.
- "Vicky Donor – Movie – Box Office India". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- Khuranaa, Amann (12 October 2015). "Talvar to Vicky Donor: Low Budget Films that Won Our Hearts". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Bennett, Coleman. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Ramachandran, Mythily (11 March 2020). "'Dharala Prabhu', a Tamil remake of Bollywood film 'Vicky Donor'". Gulf News. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- "It's a wrap on Sumanth's Vicky Donor remake – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- Subhash K Jha (24 April 2012). "What a saas-bahu pair in Vicky Yadav". The Times of India.
- "Ties of success". The Tribune. 16 April 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Meet Kamlesh Gill, Vicky Donor's progressive 'biji'". CNN-IBN. 23 April 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- Vicky Donor's "drinking mom" is a hit among fans
- "'Vicky Donor' is great fun". HindustanTimes.
- "John next production based on sperm donors". Hindustan Times. 17 February 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Ayushmann's film debut as sperm donor". The Times of India. 7 October 2011. Archived from the original on 10 October 2011. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Mr Bachchan has approved one of my new screenplays". The Pioneer. 27 April 2012.
- "Vicky Donor is born". Tehelka. Vol 9, Issue 19, dated 12 May 2012. Retrieved 23 August 2013. Check date values in:
- "John Abraham is looking for a Donor". The Times of India. 9 November 2011. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Introducing John's new hero: Ayushman Khurana". Hindustan Times. 18 February 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "John turns producer and item boy for sperm donors!". Daily Bhaskar. 18 February 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "`Vicky Donor' Ayushmann Khurranna makes ramp debut". Zeenews.india.com. 28 June 2012.
- Chettiar, Blessy. "Review: Vicky Donor". DNA. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- Mukherjee, Madhureeta. "Vicky Yadav". ToI. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- Paul, Mathures. "Donor 53!". The Statesman. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "Vicky Donor First Day Territorial Breakdown". Box Office India.
- "Vicky Donor Shows Growth on Saturday". Box Office India.
- "Housefull 2 Is First Choice Again This Week". Box Office India.
- "Vicky Donor Has Decent Weekend". Box Office India.
- "Vicky Donor Heads For Big Success". Box Office India. 21 April 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Second Week Box-office Reports". Box Office India. 28 April 2012.
- "Vicky Donor Continues Strong Run Emerges SUPER HIT". Box Office India. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Multiplex Contribution To Big Hits of 2012". Box Office India.
- "6th Week Box Office Collections of VICKY DONOR". Boxofficecapsule.com.
- "Vicky Yadav Decent Housefull 2 On $5.75 Million in 17 Days". Box Office India. 18 April 2012.
- "Housefull 2 Top Grosser of 2012". Box Office India. 25 April 2012.
- "Vicky Donor Box Office Collections".
- "60th National Film Awards: The list of winners". News18. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "58th Idea Filmfare Awards nominations are here!". filmfare.com. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Hungama, Bollywood (20 January 2013). "Winners of 58th Idea Filmfare Awards 2012 - Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Nominations: 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards | Latest Movie Features - Bollywood Hungama". 5 January 2013. Archived from the original on 5 January 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Winners of 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards | Latest Movie Features - Bollywood Hungama". 25 September 2013. Archived from the original on 25 September 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Screen Awards 2013: Hall Of Fame - Indian Express". archive.indianexpress.com. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "8th Apsara Awards - Nominees". apsaraawards.org. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Star Guild Awards - Winners". starguildawards.org. Archived from the original on 30 September 2015. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "TOIFA 2013 nominations | Times of India Film Awards". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "TOIFA 2013 Winners: Barfi! Wins Top Honors". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Winners of Zee Cine Awards 2013 | Latest Movie Features - Bollywood Hungama". 27 December 2013. Archived from the original on 27 December 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Nominations for IIFA Awards 2013 | Latest Movie Features - Bollywood Hungama". 25 April 2013. Archived from the original on 25 April 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Winners of IIFA Awards 2013 | Latest Movie Features - Bollywood Hungama". 10 June 2015. Archived from the original on 10 June 2015. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "IIFA 2013 Technical Awards Winners | Latest Movie Features - Bollywood Hungama". 26 August 2013. Archived from the original on 26 August 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Big Star Awards 2012 / 2013 - Winners, Nominations". www.indicine.com. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Nominations - Mirchi Music Award Hindi 2012". www.radiomirchi.com. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- "Winners - Mirchi Music Award Hindi 2012". www.radiomirchi.com. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2013 | Latest Celebrity Features - Bollywood Hungama". 23 January 2013. Archived from the original on 23 January 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Presenting the nominees for ETC Bollywood Business Awards 2012". PINKVILLA. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Times of India. Dileep to remake Bollywood hit Vicky Donor in Malayalam, The Times of India. 26 July 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Madhura Sreedhar to direct Telugu version of Vicky Donor | NDTV Movies.com". Movies.ndtv.com. 13 September 2012.
- "Music Review: Rawness forms core of 'Vicky Donor'". Ibnlive.in.com.
- "iTunes - Music - Vicky Donor (Original Soundtrack to the Motion Picture) by Abhishek - Akshay". iTunes Store. 4 April 2012.