|Born||April 28, 1956|
|Genres||Indian classical music|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, composer, teacher|
Nayan Ghosh holds a unique position in the Indian music scene as a front ranking Tabla maestro and a Sitar exponent, with equal command in both streams.
Born in 1956, he received in-depth training in vocal music, tabla and then in sitar from his late father Padmabhushan Pandit Nikhil Ghosh, considered an important Tabla scion of the Farukhabad school of Tabla playing, a Guru and an educationist. Nayan’s elder uncle was the pioneer flautist Pannalal Ghosh, also popularly regarded as the ‘Father of North Indian Flute’.
Now considered an important reference source of musical information, his first tabla solo broadcast was at the age of 4, in 1960, followed by extensive concertising and teaching from 1974 onwards throughout the world, at prestigious venues and universities.
Innate artistry, tonal brilliance, a rich repertoire and intense melodiousness are his hallmarks. His Raga delineations are noted for their true depth and spirit. He has strived to strike a judicious balance of the ‘Gayaki’ (vocalization) and the ‘Tantrakari’ (instrumentation) elements in his sitar recitals. Likewise, his tabla solos project the stamp of tradition from the various schools of the tabla art, with focus on aesthetics, technique and virtuosity at the same time.
As an accompanist too, he has invited much acclaim for his sensitive support to stalwarts like Pandit Ravi Shankar, Ustad Vilayat Khan, Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Pandit Jasraj, Ustad Salamat Ali Khan, Pandit Buddhadev Dasgupta, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma and many others.
Presently, as Director of India’s premier music teaching and research institute, Sangit Mahabharati, in Mumbai, and as Distinguished Guest Professor at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay for their Cell for Human Values, he has been imparting intensive training to several young aspirants grooming them into performers and teachers.
- Nayan Ghosh & Mallar Ghosh – Live at Ali Akbar College of Music, San an Selmo, California (Company: RAGA Records, New York) – Shree Raga, Raga Tilak Kamod.
- Nayan Ghosh & Mallar Ghosh (Company: BOL Records, San Francisco) – Raga Jhinjhoti.
- Nayan Ghosh & Yogesh Samsi – Live in USA concert (Company: QUESTZ World, Kolkata) – Raga Patdeep, Raga Kamod, Khamaj Dadra.
- Nayan Ghosh & Aditya Kalyanpur (Company: Legendary Legacy, Mumbai) – Raga Jhinjhoti.
- Nayan Ghosh & Aditya Kalyanpur (Company: Legendary Legacy, Mumbai) – Raga Bhairav, Raga Kaushi Kanada, Raga Kafi.
- Nayan Ghosh & Subhankar Banerjee Live in Kolkata concert (Company: Bihaan Music, Kolkata) – DVD – Raga Komal Rishabh Asavari, Raga Kaushi Bhairav.
- Nayan Ghosh & Mallar Ghosh (Company: Tapaham, Mumbai) – Live concert in USA – Raga Bihag, Khamaj Kajri, Raga Bhairavi.
- Nayan Ghosh & Paul Grant (Company: ARION, France) – "Dialogue" – Sitar, Santoor & Tabla.
- Nayan Ghosh, Paul Grant, Ross Daly & Bijan Chemirani (Company: ARION, France) – Sitar, Tabla, Santoor, Lyra, Daff & Tombak.
- Nayan Ghosh & Paul Grant (Company: Toledo Records, Geneva) – "Voyage" – Sitar, Surbahar, Tabla, Santoor, Sur-Santoor.