New Horizons (book)
Dust-jacket illustration by Stephen E. Fabian for New Horizons
|Author||edited by August Derleth|
|Cover artist||Stephen E. Fabian|
|Genre||Science fiction short stories|
|Media type||Print (hardback)|
|Pages||xv, 299 pp|
|LC Class||PS648.S3 N427 1998|
New Horizons is an anthology of science fiction stories edited by August Derleth (died 1971). It was released posthumously by the specialty house publisher Arkham House in a hardcover edition of 2,917 copies. While the title page gives the date of publication as 1998, the book was not actually printed and released until 1999. The book is an anthology that Derleth had planned in the early 1960s, but never published.
New Horizons contains the following stories:
- "Introduction", by Joseph Wrzos
- Part I: Time Travel Before Tachyons
- Part II: Technological Triumphs: The Light Side
- "The Feline Light and Power Company", by Jacque Morgan
- "Solander's Radio Tomb", by Ellis Parker Butler
- "The Perambulating Home", by Henry Hugh Simmons
- Part III: Global Catastrophe: Atlantean
- Part IV: Amazing Discoveries: The Flip Side
- Part V: Menace from Above: Local, Interstellar
- Appendix: August Derleth's Science Fiction Anthologies
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1999). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923-1998, Supplement 7. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd. p. 4.
- Joshi, S.T. (1999). Sixty Years of Arkham House: A History and Bibliography. Sauk City, WI: Arkham House. p. 173. ISBN 0-87054-176-5.
- Nielsen, Leon (2004). Arkham House Books: A Collector's Guide. Jefferson, NC and London: McFarland & Company, Inc. pp. 143–144. ISBN 0-7864-1785-4.