Nick Willing in 2007
|Occupation||Director, producer, writer|
|Years active||1997 - present|
Nick Willing is a British director, producer and writer of films and television series.
Willing is the son of Portuguese painter Paula Rego and English artist Victor Willing and was largely brought up in Portugal, but settled in England at the age of 12. He graduated from The National Film and Television School in 1982 and started directing music videos for bands such as Eurythmics, Bob Geldof, Swing Out Sister, Debbie Gibson, Kirsty MacColl, Kim Appleby, Tony Banks, and Nik Kershaw.
Throughout this period he was also writing screenplays, and in 1996 his adaptation of the Steve Szilagyi novel Photographing Fairies was financed by PolyGram Filmed Entertainment and made into a feature film. Photographing Fairies was a critical success and won several awards including the Méliès d’Or in 1998.
Alice in Wonderland followed with a cast which included Whoopi Goldberg, Ben Kingsley, Robbie Coltrane, Martin Short, Peter Ustinov, Gene Wilder, Ken Dodd, Christopher Lloyd, George Wendt and Miranda Richardson. Alice was made for NBC television in 1999 and won 4 Primetime Emmys.
- 1997 – Photographing Fairies
- 1999 – Alice in Wonderland
- 2000 – Jason and the Argonauts
- 2002 – Close Your Eyes a.k.a. Doctor Sleep and Hypnotic
- 2004 – Sea of Souls
- 2005 – The River King
- 2006 – Jackanory, The Magician of Samarkand and Muddle Earth
- 2007 – Tin Man
- 2009 – Alice
- 2011 – Neverland
- 2013 – Baby Sellers
- 2014 – Altar
- 2015 – Olympus
- 2017 – Paula Rego, Secrets & Stories
- 2019 – Unstoppable. Sean Scully & The Art of Everything
Nick Willing wrote his first two movies Photographing Fairies and Doctor Sleep and went on to develop the short stories of H. G. Wells into a semi-biographical television series, The Infinite Worlds of H. G. Wells, which premiered in 2001. More recently he wrote the series Alice which received two Primetime Emmy Award nominations, and Neverland for the Syfy network and Sky Movies.
House of Stories
In 2013, Nick stepped in to help negotiate an alternative contract for Casa Das Historias Paula Rego, the Lisbon museum dedicated to his mother’s work. Following Portugal’s bailout by the EU, the government closed several foundations, including Paula Rego’s, leaving the museum in limbo. He now remains in an administrative role, representing his mother’s interests at the museum.
- "Hypnotic Interview". 'Cinefile'. 20 November 2003.
- "Alice: Interviews with the Star & the Writer/Director". TVTango.com. 5 December 2009.
- "Neverland Interview". Collider.com. 30 November 2011.
- "Haunting of Radcliffe House Interview". Movies in focus. 25 May 2015.
- "Olympus Interview". scifitalk.com. 27 March 2015.
- "Olympus Interview". scifivision.com. 9 April 2015.
- Malin, Angelica. "About Time You Met: Filmmaker Nick Willing". About Time. About Time Magazine. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- Melies.org Archived 2007-08-06 at the Wayback Machine
- "HBO and David Kelley Win Top Early Emmys". The New York Times. 30 August 1999.