Nicole Randall Johnson
|Nicole Randall Johnson|
December 9, 1973 |
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Biography and education
Johnson was born in Los Angeles, California. When she turned seven, Johnson's family left LA and she split the rest of her time growing up in Phoenix, Arizona, and later, Portland, Oregon. She attended the University of Arizona, where she majored in theatre. While pursuing her degree, she performed in a number of dramatic plays and was a member of the school's sketch and improv group, Comedy Corner.
After college, Johnson moved back to Los Angeles and began studying at The Groundlings School and Theatre, whose alumni include fellow MADtv cast members Phil LaMarr, Michael McDonald and Daniele Gaither. There she became a member of the Sunday Company, where she wrote and performed for a year before becoming a Series Regular on the acclaimed Bravo comedy series, Significant Others.
Johnson has had recurring roles on Key & Peele, Reno 911! and Andy Barker, P.I.. A few of her other television credits include guest-starring roles on Prime Suspect, Weeds, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Monk, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, The Shield, Hannah Montana and Hot in Cleveland.
In 2013, auto financing company DriveTime hired Johnson for a "DriveTime Girls" ad campaign, portraying one half of a comically eccentric duo of mobile credit approval agents "rescuing" potential car buyers rejected for financing by other auto dealers.
Johnson joined the cast of MADtv in 2005 as a feature performer, for the eleventh season. She became the third black female cast member in the show's history (Debra Wilson and Daniele Gaither were the first two respectively). She was promoted to repertory status for the show's twelfth season. Frequently recurring characters include Ka-Son and Darrell, while her impersonations include Condoleezza Rice, Oprah Winfrey, Queen Latifah and Randy Jackson.
- Ka-son: A customer service rep who gets in verbal confrontations with unruly customers. Her many jobs include: Komkast Kable phone rep, 1-800-Gifts-and-Flowers phone rep, Nightclub Door-Person and TSA Airport Security.
- Darrell: A man who relentlessly asks women for their phone number. This character is especially popular; the video of the sketch has over 31 million views on YouTube and growing.
- Oprah Winfrey
- Queen Latifah
- Chris Rock
- Condoleezza Rice
- Randy Jackson
- Star Jones
- Tyra Banks
- Beyoncé Knowles (as Deena Jones from Dreamgirls)
- Chandra Wilson (as Dr. Miranda Bailey from Grey's Anatomy)
- Eddie Murphy (as Mama Klump from The Nutty Professor)
- Isabel Sanford (as Louise Jefferson from The Jeffersons)
- New York
- Key & Peele (2012-2013) as Rap Video Mom/Michelle Obama's Anger Translator
- Prime Suspect (U.S. TV series) (2012) as Diane Carey
- Weeds (2012) as Detective Crowley
- Traffic Light (2011) as Traffic Cop
- Hot in Cleveland (2010) as Eleanor
- Hannah Montana (2008) as Driving School Administrator
- Kath & Kim (2008) as Suzette
- Andy Barker P.I. (2007) (recurring) as Nicole
- The Shield (2007) as Leticia Gregory
- MADtv (2005–2007, 2016) as Series Regular/Various Characters
- Curb Your Enthusiasm (2005) as Omar's Receptionist
- Inconceivable (2005) as Dana
- Monk (2005) as Frances
- Half & Half (2005) as Reporter
- Listen Up! (2005) as Susan
- Reno 911! (2004) as Stolen Hair Victim/Bridesmaid
- Still Standing (2004) as Karen Gault
- Dragnet (2004) as Uni Cop
- Significant Others (2004) as Alex
- The Parkers (2004) as Mrs. Carter
- Miss Match (2003) as Mrs. Nicole
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2002) as Nurse
- Felicity (2002) as Resident
- Role Models (2008) as Karen
- Transformers (2007) as ASI Security Woman
- License to Wed (2007) as Louise
- The Brothers Solomon (2007) as Birthing Instructor
- School for Scoundrels (2006) as Shanice
- Jimmy and Judy (2006) as Prostitute
- The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005) as Speed Dater
- In Her Shoes (2005) as Rose's Assistant
- Reaction (2004) as The Acting Partner
- Chesnick, Mike. "From UA to National Stage" (PDF). The University of Arizona Visitor Guide (University of Arizona, Arizona Student Media) (Spring 2012): 20–21.
- "DriveTime Commercials 2014 / 2013". AdFibs. 23 November 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- "Mad TV- Ka-son: Airport Security".
- "Mad TV- Can I have ur number?".