Location of Niculițel
|• Mayor||Gheorghe Casian (since 2004)|
|• Total||93.67 km2 (36.17 sq mi)|
|• Density||50/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Website||http://www.cjtulcea.ro/judet/niculitel.html (in Romanian)|
A paleo-Christian basilica dated from the end of the 4th century to the 6th century was discovered in Niculițel in the spot named "La Plăcintă". Coins from between 330-354 were discovered, as were 5th century modifications to the basilica. While a specific end date for the use of the basilica could not be determined, a couple of 10th century submerged dwellings were discovered as having been dug in the NV corner of the nave which concludes that the basilica was in disarray by the 10th century. Under the altar there is a crypt which housed the bones of the martyrs whose names were written on the sidewalls.
- "Archaeological Excavations in Romania, 1983 - 2012, Preliminary Archaeological Reports, Archaeological Excavation Report". CIMEC. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "The paleo-Christian basilica from Niculițel". National Archaeological Record of Romania. Romanian Ministry of Culture. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- Lista monumentelor istorice 2004, MO nr. 646 bis/16/07/2004, Ordinul ministrului culturii și cultelor nr. 2.314/2004, vol. III, 2004, 2271, poz. 283 [Ordin MCC] (site record source)
- DMASI, Proiectul Listei Monumentelor Istorice, 1991 [Proiect LMI] (site record source)
- Baumann, Victor Henrich, Cronica cercetărilor arheologice din România. Campania 1994, CIMEC-Institutul de Memorie Culturală, Bucharest, 1995, http://cronica.cimec.ro/detail.asp?k=127 [Publicație]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Niculițel, Tulcea.|
|This Tulcea County location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|