Night into Morning
|Night Into Morning|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Fletcher Markle|
|Produced by||Edwin H. Knopf|
|Screenplay by||Karl Tunberg|
|Music by||Carmen Dragon|
|Cinematography||George J. Folsey|
|Edited by||Robert Watts|
Everything is going very well for college professor Phillip Ainley (Ray Milland), who has a loving wife and son and an offer to teach at Yale. But his world turns upside-down when Katherine Mead (Nancy Davis), his secretary, rushes to tell him that there's been a deadly explosion at the professor's home.
His wife and child are killed. Ainley, devastated, becomes morose and turns to drink, causing Mead, a war widow, and best friend Tom Lawry (John Hodiak), her betrothed, to consider these telltale signs that the professor could be suicidal.
A popular athlete on campus has failed an exam and might not graduate, so his girlfriend Dottie (Dawn Addams) appeals to the professor to give him a second chance. A drunken Ainley tells her remaining unmarried might spare them both future heartbreak. He then crashes a car, terrifying the girl and resulting in his arrest.
Character witnesses convince the judge to place Ainley on probation. The professor permits the athlete to take a second exam, then gives him a passing grade. Ainley gets his affairs in order and goes to a hotel, where he plans to take his life. Only a last-minute intervention by Mead saves him, the widow reminding Ainley that she found a new love and new life, just as her first true love would have wanted.
- Ray Milland as Phillip Ainley
- John Hodiak as Tom Lawry
- Nancy Davis as Katherine Mead
- Lewis Stone as Dr. Horace Snyder
- Jean Hagen as Girl Next Door
- Rosemary DeCamp as Annie Ainley
- Dawn Addams as Dottie Phelps
- Jonathan Cott as Chuck Holderson
- Celia Lovsky as Mrs. Niemoller
- Gordon Gebert as Russ Kirby
- Harry Antrim as Sam Andersen
- Katherine Warren as Margaret Andersen
- Mary Lawrence as Edith Bottomly
- Herb Vigran as Joe
According to MGM records the movie earned $556,000 in the US and Canada and $263,000 elsewhere, making a loss to the studio of $312,000.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- CROWTHER, BOSLEY (June 11, 1951). "THE SCREEN IN REVIEW; 'Night Into Morning,' Starring Ray Milland as a Bereaved Professor, at Loew's State". The New York Times. nytimes.com. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Night Into Morning 1951 Directed by Fletcher Markle". letterboxd.com. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Night into Morning on IMDb
- Night Into Morning at TCMDB
- Night into Morning at AllMovie
- Night into Morning at the American Film Institute Catalog
|This article about a romantic drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|