Addams with Alan Young in the television show Time to Smile, 1953.
|Born||Victoria Dawn Addams
21 September 1930
Felixstowe, Suffolk, England, U.K.
|Died||7 May 1985
London, England, U.K.
|Cause of death||cancer|
|Spouse(s)||Don Vittorio Emanuele Massimo, Prince of Roccasecca (m. 1954–71)
Jimmy White (1974–1985) (her death)
|Children||Prince Stefano Massimo (b. 1955)
Noel Shawn Patrick Addams (1966-1966)
Dawn Addams (21 September 1930 – 7 May 1985) was an English actress, particularly in Hollywood motion pictures of the 1950s and on British television in the 1960s and 1970s.
Life and career
She was born Victoria Dawn Addams in Felixstowe, Suffolk, England, the daughter of Ethel Mary (née Hickie) and Captain James Ramage Addams. Her mother died when she was young, and she spent her early life in Calcutta, India. Her heart shaped face and beautiful physique soon attracted the attention of talent agents.
Her film career began with a role in Night into Morning (1951), and she soon co-starred with Peter Lawford in The Hour of 13 (1952). She then appeared in a small role in The Moon is Blue (1953), the film which helped end the system of censorship of Hollywood films, which had been in place since 1934. She also embarked on a USO tour the same year to help entertain troops in Korea, followed by a small but heavily publicised role as Richard Carlson's model girlfriend in the science fiction film Riders to the Stars (1954). Another performance was as the female lead opposite actor-director-filmmaker legend Charlie Chaplin in his final comedy to star himself A King in New York (1957). During the 1960s and 1970s she appeared mainly in British TV shows and French films.
She was a semi-regular on the instructional series En France (1962), and she was the leading lady in several episodes of The Saint (1962–69), which starred Roger Moore as Simon Templar. Among her last film credits were two British horror films, The Vampire Lovers (1970) and The Vault of Horror (1973), and she was also a regular in the British sitcom Father, Dear Father (1971–73). One of her last television roles was in the science fiction serial Star Maidens (1977). Addams retired in the early 1980s, dividing her remaining years between Europe and the United States.
She was married to:
- Jimmy White (September 1974 – 1985) her death
- Don Vittorio Emanuele Massimo, Prince of Roccasecca (1954–1971). One son, Prince Stefano Massimo, born 10 January 1955.
- The Vault of Horror (1973) ... Inez
- Sex Is My Game (1971) ... Marianne
- The Vampire Lovers (1970) ... The Countess
- Zeta One (1969) ... Zeta
- Where the Bullets Fly (1966) ... Felicity 'Fiz' Moonlight
- Ballad in Blue (1964) ... Gina Graham
- The Black Tulip (1964) ... Catherine de Vigogne
- Come Fly with Me (1963) ... Katie Rinard
- Lessons in Love (1962) ... Catherine Dambreuse
- Follow That Man (1961) ... Janet Clark
- Les Menteurs (1961) ... Norma O'Brien
- The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960) ... Kitty Jekyll
- The Thousand Eyes of Dr. Mabuse AKA Die Tausend Augen des Dr. Mabuse (1960) ... Marion Menil
- Voulez-vous danser avec moi? (1959) ... Anita Flores
- Secret professionnel (1959) ... Dr. Catherine Langeac
- The Black Chapel (1959) ... Tila
- The Treasure of San Teresa (1959) ... Hedi von Hartmann (film also released as "Hot Money Girl")
- Prisoner of the Volga (1959) ... Tatyana
- Pensione Edelweiss (1959) ... Nadia Rakesy
- L'Île du bout du monde (1959) ... Victoria
- Die Feuerrote Baronesse (1959) ... Szaga de Bor
- The Silent Enemy (1958) ... Third Officer Jill Masters, W.R.N.S.
- A King in New York (1957) ... Ann Kay
- Londra chiama Polo Nord (1956) ... Mary
- I quattro del getto tonante (1955) ... Captain Rosi's wife
- Il tesoro di Rommel (1955) ... Sofia
- Le Vicomte de Bragelonne (1954) ... Hélène de Winter
- Khyber Patrol (1954) ... Diana Melville
- Return to Treasure Island (1954) ... Jamie Hawkins
- Mizar (Sabotaggio in mare) (1954) ... Mizar
- Riders to the Stars (1954) ... Susan Manners
- The Robe (1953) ... Junia
- The Moon is Blue (1953) ... Cynthia
- Young Bess (1953) ... Catherine Howard
- Plymouth Adventure (1952) ... Priscilla Mullins
- The Hour of 13 (1952) ... Jane Frensham
- Night Into Morning (1951)
- Sherlock Holmes series in "The Case of the Careless Suffragette" (aired 28 Feb 1955)
The Saint (1962-1969 TV series) Season 2, episode 1(The Fellow Traveller-9/19/1963)as Magda Varnoff, Season 2, episode 20(The Lawless Lady-1/30/1964) as Audrey & Season 5, episode 1 (The Queen's Ransom-9/30/1966) as Queen Adana.
- Danger Man series 2, episode 8 – "The Battle of the Cameras" (aired UK 1 December 1964), as Martine, working for Mr Kent esq. Additionally, she appeared in Season 2 Episode 6 "Fish on the Hook".
- A Room in Town Sept 1970. With George Cole and Pauline Yates
- Father, Dear Father (1971–1973)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|