Night and Day (1946 film)
|Night and Day|
Japanese promotional poster
|Directed by||Michael Curtiz|
|Produced by||Arthur Schwartz
Jack L. Warner (executive producer)
|Written by||Charles Hoffman
|Music by||Ray Heindorf
|Cinematography||J. Peverell Marley
William V. Skall
|Edited by||David Weisbart|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Box office||$4 million (US/ Canada rentals) |
Night and Day is a 1946 Technicolor Warner Bros. biographical musical film starring Cary Grant as American composer and songwriter Cole Porter. The movie was directed by Michael Curtiz and produced by Arthur Schwartz, with Jack L. Warner as executive producer. The screenplay was written by Charles Hoffman, Leo Townsend and William Bowers.
The music score by Ray Heindorf and Max Steiner was nominated for an Academy Award. The film features several of the best-known Porter songs, including the title song, "Night and Day", "Begin the Beguine" and "My Heart Belongs to Daddy".
Alexis Smith plays Linda Lee Porter, Porter's wife of 35 years. Monty Woolley and Mary Martin appear as themselves, and the rest of the cast includes Jane Wyman, Eve Arden, Alan Hale, Dorothy Malone, Donald Woods, and Ginny Simms.
The film is a highly fictionalized and sanitized version of Cole Porter's life, leaving out amongst other things references to his homosexuality. A later film biography of Porter, the 2004 De-Lovely with Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd, dealt more frankly (though some said not enough) with his sexuality and includes a scene where Kline and Judd as Cole and Linda Lee watch Night and Day before its release and comment on its lack of realism and "happy ending".
- Cary Grant as Cole Porter
- Alexis Smith as Linda Lee Porter
- Selena Royle as Kate Porter
- Henry Stephenson as Omar Cole
- Jane Wyman as Gracie Harris
- Dorothy Malone as Nancy
- Eve Arden as Gabrielle
- Ginny Simms as Carole Hill
- Paul Cavanagh as Bart McClelland
- Tom D'Andrea as Bernie
- Victor Francen as Anatole Giron
- Alan Hale, Sr. as Leon Dowling
- Mary Martin as herself
- Sig Ruman as Wilowski
- Donald Woods as Ward Blackburn
- Monty Woolley as himself
- Carlos Ramírez as Specialty Singer
- Estelle Sloan as Specialty Dancer
- George Zoritch as Specialty Dancer
- Adam Di Gatano as Specialty Dancer
- Jane Di Gatano as Specialty Dancer
- Milada Mladova as Specialty Dancer
1. "I'm in Love Again" - Sung and Danced by Jane Wyman.
2. "Bulldog, Bulldog" - Sung by Cary Grant and Male Chorus.
3. "In the Still of the Night" - Sung by Dorothy Malone (dubbed by Bobbie Canvin) and Chorus.
4. "Old Fashioned Garden" - Sung by Cary Grant and Selena Royle.
5. "You've Got That Thing" - Sung by Paula Drew, Pat Clark and Jane Harker.
6. "Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love)" - Sung by Jane Wyman.
7. "You Do Something to Me" - Sung and Danced by Jane Wyman and Chorus.
8. "I'm Unlucky at Gambling" - Sung by Eve Arden.
9. "Miss Otis Regrets" - Sung by Monty Woolley.
10. "I Wonder What's Become of Sally" - Sung by Ginny Simms.
11. "What Is This Thing Called Love" - Sung by Ginny Simms.
12. "I've Got You Under My Skin" - Sung by Ginny Simms and Danced by Adam Di Gatano and Jane Di Gatano.
13. "Rosalie" - Sung by Chorus.
14. "Night and Day" - Sung by Bill Days.
15. "Just One of Those Things" - Sung by Ginny Simms and Danced by Estelle Sloan with Chorus.
16. "You're the Top" - Sung by Ginny Simms and Cary Grant.
17. "I Get a Kick Out of You" - Sung by Ginny Simms and Danced by Chorus.
18. "Easy to Love"
19. "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" - Sung by Mary Martin and Chorus.
20. "Begin the Beguine" - Sung by Carlos Ramírez and Danced by George Zoritch and Milada Mladova with Chorus.
21. "Bulldog, Bulldog" (reprise) - Sung by Chorus.
21. "Night and Day" (reprise) - Sung by Chorus.
- "All-Time Top Grossers", Variety, 8 January 1964 p 69
- "60 Top Grossers of 1946", Variety 8 January 1947 p8
- Night and Day at the Internet Movie Database
- Night and Day at AllMovie
- Night and Day at the TCM Movie Database
- Night and Day at the American Film Institute Catalog
- Night and Day at Rotten Tomatoes
- Historic reviews, photo gallery at CaryGrant.net