|Никола́й Вале́рьевич Ду́ров|
|Alma mater||Saint Petersburg State University, University of Bonn|
|Known for||Founding VK in 2006 Founding Telegram Messenger in 2013|
|Relatives||Pavel Durov (brother)|
|Awards||St. Petersburg Mathematical Society Young Mathematician Prize (2006)|
Nikolai Valeryevich Durov (Russian: Никола́й Вале́рьевич Ду́ров; born 21 November 1980) is a Russian programmer and mathematician. He is the elder brother of Pavel Durov, with whom he founded the social networking site VK and later Telegram.
Early life and education
Nikolai is the son of Valery Durov, a Doctor of Philological Sciences and a professor of philology during Nikolai's time at Saint Petersburg State University. As a youth, he reportedly could read at an adult level by age three and solve cubic equations by age eight.
Competing as "Nikolai Dourov," he won gold at the International Mathematical Olympiad in the three years he participated of 1996, 1997, and 1998. Furthermore, participating in each yearly contest from 1995 through 1998, he accrued three silver medals and one gold medal in the International Olympiad in Informatics. He also was a member of the Saint Petersburg State University ACM team, which won the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest in 2000 and 2001.
He received his first PhD from Saint Petersburg State University in 2005 with his thesis "New Approach to Arakelov Geometry". Continuing at the University of Bonn, he obtained in 2007 a second PhD under the supervision of Gerd Faltings with his thesis on singular Arakelov geometry.
Durov introduced commutative algebraic monads as a generalization of local objects in a generalized algebraic geometry. Versions of a tropical geometry, of an absolute geometry over a field with one element and an algebraic analogue of Arakelov geometry were realized in this setup.
He holds the position of senior research fellow at the Laboratory of Algebra and Number Theory at the St Petersburg Department of Steklov Institute of Mathematics of Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Durov worked as a lead developer of the VK team until 2013.
- Together with his brother Pavel, he founded the instant messenger service Telegram and developed the MTProto protocol for Telegram in 2013.
- Durov is believed to be the author of the original TON (Telegram Open Network) whitepaper.
- Shu, Catherine. "Meet Telegram, A Secure Messaging App From The Founders Of VK, Russia's Largest Social Network - TechCrunch". TechCrunch.
- Дуров Валерий Семёнович (in Russian). Филологический факультет СПбГУ. Archived from the original on 25 December 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- Loucaides, Darren (8 February 2022). "How Telegram Became the Anti-Facebook". Wired. Retrieved 25 February 2022.
- "International Mathematical Olympiad - Nikolai Dourov". www.imo-official.org. Retrieved 24 February 2022.
- "Nikolai Dourov". stats.ioinformatics.org. Retrieved 24 February 2022.
- "Final report of the ACM programming contest 2000". Archived from the original on 2 January 2011.
- "Final report of the ACM programming contest 2001". Archived from the original on 2 January 2011.
- Durov, Nikolai (16 April 2007). "New Approach to Arakelov Geometry". arXiv:0704.2030 [math.AG].
- "PhD Students of Gerd Faltings". www.hcm.uni-bonn.de. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011.
- Nikolai, Durov (16 April 2007). "New Approach to Arakelov Geometry". arXiv:0704.2030 [math.AG].
- "PDMI - Durov N.V." www.pdmi.ras.ru.
- Anton, Blagoveshchensky (30 April 2014). "Брат Павла Дурова предсказал новые увольнения из "ВКонтакте"". Rossiyskaya Gazeta. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Telegram TON (Telegram Open Network)". Coinpost. Retrieved 23 March 2021.
- original TON (Telegram Open Network) whitepaper.