|Fields||Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive Systems|
|Institutions||NYU Poly, NCSR Demokritos, Innopolis University Innopolis|
Nikolaos Mavridis (born April 28, 1973) is the founder and director of the Interactive Robots and Media Lab (IRML), and a PhD graduate from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology He is also an assistant professor of research at the Computer Science department, New York University Poly, and adjunct researcher at NCSR Demokritos. Before his PhD from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he was awarded an M.Sc. from the University of California Los Angeles, and a M. Eng. (Summa Cum Laude) from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. His research interests include human–robot interaction, and especially verbal and non-verbal communication with robots, artificial intelligence, machine perception, and cognitive systems.
Mavridis and his work has received significant media attention in the past. His work at the Interactive Robots and Media Lab received coverage from media of more than 20 countries, such as the BBC, Agence France-Presse (AFP), The National (Abu Dhabi), Al Jazeera TV etc. Furthermore, Mavridis has been a TEDx Speaker twice, in TEDx Al Ain and TEDx Athens.
Apart from his academic activities, Mavridis has been an active pro-bono contributor to a number of organizations: as a mentor in The Next Generation Initiative, a vice-president and executive committee member at the MIT HSA, as a vice-president to the Hellenic Artificial Intelligence Society, as a bid preparer and presenter and technical committee member that brought the World Robot Olympiad to Abu Dhabi, and as the founding chair of the IEEE UAE Robotics and Automation Society.
He is also an active member of the Horasis think tank based in Switzerland, whose purpose is to "enact visions for a sustainable future" through new platforms for cooperation and knowledge-sharing, particularly between developed countries and emerging markets.
Furthermore, Mavridis is a member of the National Committee of the Recreate Greece liberal party, and as a parliamentary candidate finished second in the May 2012 National Election in the district of A' Athens.
- "Technology | Robot to create Facebook profile". BBC News. 2009-05-06. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Interactive Robots and Media Lab on BBC World TV". BBC News. 2009-05-06. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Roboter aus dem Morgenland - Avicenna spricht Arabisch". YouTube. 2009-11-07. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Meet the facebots - The National". Thenational.ae. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "TEDx Al Ain: Growing Robots in the Desert". YouTube. 2009-07-07. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "TEDx Athens: One Thousand Eyes, One Thousand Hands". YouTube. 2009-07-07. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "Abu Dhabi wins bid to host World Robotics Olympiad". AME Info. 2009-11-12. Archived from the original on 2009-12-01. Retrieved 2013-02-02. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "IEEE UAE Robotics and Automation Society". IEEE UAE. 2009-11-12. Retrieved 2013-02-02.