North Oconee High School
|North Oconee High School|
|1081 Rocky Branch Road
Bogart, Georgia 30622
|Type||Public High School|
|Principal||Dr. Philip Brown|
|Number of students||1,179 (2014-15)|
|School color(s)||Red, gold, and black|
|Athletics||GHSA Division AAAA Region 8|
The school's mascot is the Titan, and its colors are red, vegas gold, and black. The school currently has upwards of 1300 students.
North Oconee consistently rates highly in academic standings. The high school is continually regarded as one of the top high schools in Georgia. It is ranked in the top 2% of schools nationally, and as the top school in SAT and ACT scores in northeast Georgia. According to data supplied by the Georgia Department of Education, the school's 2010 preliminary graduation rate was 92.5%.
The Georgia High School Graduation Test reports rates by school system. The Georgia Department of Education, aggregating scores of both North Oconee High School and Oconee County High School, ranks Oconee County in the top 5 of the 180 Georgia school systems. The Newsweek ranking of top high schools consistently names North Oconee in the top 5% of high schools in the nation.
Both Oconee County high schools were named Advanced Placement Merit Schools, the only two public high schools in the greater Athens area to receive this recognition. To receive this distinction, at least 20% of the students must take AP exams, with 50% or more scoring the passing score of 3 or higher.
According to the demographics from the Georgia Department of Education, approximately 87% of the student body are White, 4% Black, 4% Hispanic, 3% Asian, and 2% are of mixed ethnicity. About 25% are enrolled in the gifted program and less than 1% are enrolled in remedial education. Over 65% of graduates are eligible for the Hope Scholarship.
North Oconee has approximately 80 teachers. About 73% hold master's degrees or higher.
The school competes at the AAAA division level in region 8. It competes in many major local and regional high school athletics.
- Fall sports
- Cross country
- Football cheerleading
- Competition cheerleading
- Marching band
- Winter sports
- Boys basketball
- Girls basketball
- Basketball cheerleading
- Swimming and diving
- Spring sports
- Boys soccer
- Girls soccer
- Boys golf
- Girls golf
- Boys lacrosse
- Girls lacrosse
- Track and field
- Girls' tennis team won the first place in State GHSAA Division 8AAAA for the 2016-2017 season.
- Girls' track and field won the first place in GHSAA Division AA in 2008 and 2010.
NOHS Titan Regiment
The Regiment is the ambassadorial music organization for North Oconee High School. Among its recent awards are:
- 2012-2013 Lake Hartwell Marching Festival and Competition - Superior, Class AA: Band, Percussion, Drum Major, and Color Guard; Class AA: Band 1st, Percussion 1st, Drum Major 2nd, and Color Guard 1st; Silver Division: Band 1st, Percussion 2nd, Drum Major 2nd, and Color Guard 1st
- 2012-2013 Armuchee Invitational Marching Festival and Competition - Superior, Class AA: Band, Percussion, and Color Guard; Class AA: Percussion 3rd, Flagline 2nd
- 2011-2012 Lake Lanier Tournament of Bands - Superior, Class AA: Band, Percussion, Drum Major, and Color Guard; Class AA: Band 2nd, Percussion 1st, Drum major 1st, and Color Guard 1st; Silver Division: Percussion 1st, Drum Major 1st, and Color Guard 1st
- 2011-2012 Greater Atlanta Area Marching Contest - Superior, Class AA: Band, Percussion, Drum Major, and Color Guard; Class AA: Band 1st, Percussion 2nd, Drum major 1st, and Color Guard 1st; Grand Champions Silver Division
- 2010-2011 Heart of Georgia - Superior, Class AA: Band, Percussion, Drum Major and Color Guard; Champion, AA Division; Contest: Best Effects; Contest: Best Visual; Contest: Grand Champion over 20 bands, 10 of which were 3AA or larger
- 2010-2011 Georgia Tournament of Champions - Superior, Class AA, Band, Percussion, Color Guard, and Drum Major; Grand Champion, Silver Division
- 2009-2010 Peachtree Ridge Festival - Large Group - Superior, Class AAA
- 2009-2010 Lake Lanier Tournament - Superior, Class AAA, All categories, Grand Champion, Drum Major
- 2009-2010 Greater Atlanta Marching Contest - Superior, Class AAA, All Categories
- 2008-2009 Greater Atlanta Marching Contest - Superior, Class AAA
- 2008-2009 Georgia Bandmasters - Superior Class AAA - all categories, Grand Champions, Silver Division
- 2008-2009 UGA Festival - Large Group Performance - Superior
- Middle schools
- Elementary schools
- "North Oconee High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "North Oconee in Newsweek top ranks". Athens Newspapers, Inc.
- "America's Best High Schools: The List". Newsweek.
- "Superintendent Names "AP Honor Schools"". Georgia Dept. of Education.
- "2008-2009 Report Card: North Oconee High School". Georgia Department of Education.
- "Oconee County Schools Annual Report" (PDF). Oconee County School System.
- "Awards & Results". NOHS Band.
- Malcom Bridge Middle School
- Malcom Bridge Elementary
- Rocky Branch Elementary
- High Shoals Elementary