Fazura on stage.
|Born||Nur Fazura binti Sharifuddin
27 September 1983
Pekan, Pahang, Malaysia
|Other names||Faz, Fazura, Fazbulous|
|Occupation||Actress, television host, MTV VJ, singer, enterpreneur|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
Nur Fazura Sharifuddin (born 27 September 1983) is a Malaysian actress, singer, TV host, VJ and an entrepreneur. She began her career in the Malaysian entertainment industry by hosting a television show and several minor acting roles. She was the host of a television show called Teens World. In 2004, she launched her film career with playing the leading role in Bicara Hati which became her break-out role and earned her an award nomination. Later in 2005, she starred as the bubbly-energetic lead character in the film Gol & Gincu.
Fazura is considered as one of the most stylish actress and celebrity in Malaysia according to many entertainment and fashion magazines and frequently appears in these magazines' "Stylish" and "Hot" lists. Up to 2010, she has done 10 featured films and countless hit TV series and dramas as well as hosting a number of television program. She also became a judge in the comedy television show called Maharaja Lawak Mega.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 2.1 2002–06: Early career, breakthrough and Gol & Gincu
- 2.2 2007–2008: films and TV drama
- 2.3 2009–2011: Pisau Cukur, ESPN, Lagenda Budak Setan and TV movie and drama
- 2.4 2012–2013: House of Doll and return to TV
- 2.5 2014: Return to silver screen, music and reality TV show
- 2.6 2015–2016: Recent development
- 3 Personal life and controversy
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Host/TV appearance
- 6 Discography
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Fazura was born in one of the rural province at Pekan, a town in the state of Pahang in Malaysia on 27 September 1983. She is the third of four siblings, the only daughter to her parents and sister to her three brothers. She attended the Sekolah Menengah Datuk Mahmud Mat in her hometown. She enrolled at a Fashion Design College and studied fashion for a while before quitting after a few months saying, "because my interest in the course dwindled after a while". and also due kept getting all these offers so it was kind of tempting for her. She grabbed one of them and told herself that "This is where I’m going to start. Do one acting thing and then forget about it. At least, I’ve done it". She was discovered and been given the big break by a film producer-director, Datin Rosnani Jamil.
2002–06: Early career, breakthrough and Gol & Gincu
Prior to her acting debut in 2004, Fazura hosted a television show which broadcast by one of the largest broadcasting network channels in Malaysia, RTM2, called Teens World. She kept getting offers to make a film, and decided to accept one of the offers. At 21, Fazura made her film debut in the 2004 film Bicara Hati which she played the leading female role of Noraini. Already earned a rave reviews from the film, she was nominated and won the Most Promising Actress award at the 17th Malaysian Film Festival ceremony. During an interview, she said she was not expected to win at all by stating, "I'm still in a daze. I never thought that I would win" and added, "Throughout the night (before the winner was announced), friends were teasing me continuously about winning the award but I never took them seriously. In fac, I brushed it off as absurd. Look at the other contenders: Fasha Sandha is a very good actress and Betty Banafe has more experience in acting." Due to her convincing performance of portraying Noraini in Bicara Hati, Datin Rosnani Jamil had recommended Fazura to fellow film producer, Habsah Hassan, who was then looking for an actress for her upcoming film. Being impresses enough with Fazura, Habsah Hassan immediately offered the leading female role to her. Before the initial release of the Bicara Hati film, she was already went shooting her second major film with and starring opposite to another newcomer, Jehan Miskin. Fazura also co-hosting a 2004 TV show called Olay Total White Aspirasiku with Linda Onn. In 2005, the film Qaisy and Laila which follows a Malaysian relief team that was sent to help refugees in war-torn of Afghanistan was released on 30 June 2005. In the same year, Fazura was again landed a role in Senario XX film and the lead role in Gol & Gincu film. In the comedy film Senario XX, she played the character named Siti, a simple rural province girl in which she stated, "Siti’s character will be a bit different compared to my two previous roles" and "when the character Siti in the comedy Senario XX was offered to me, I said ‘yes’ immediately. On top of it, I’d always wanted to work with abang Aziz (M. Osman)". In the Gol & Gincu film, Fazura played Putri, a bubbly-energetic girl who was suddenly being dumped by her boyfriend Eddy (Ashraf Sinclair) for Sasha (Sazzy Falak) that then decides to try and win over Eddy's heart by starting her own futsal team. The film was released on 11 August 2005 and has been the one of the successful film of Fazura to date and was the big winner at the 19th Malaysian Film Festival as it took home the Best Film award. 2005 also marked the first time Fazura landed the main role on a television series, Inspirion. Co-starring opposite Eizlan Yusof, the series directed by Rashid Sibir was broadcast on TV3. In 2006, Gol & Gincu went from a huge successful film onto a commercial TV series, Gol & Gincu The Series which premiered on 4 June 2006 in which Fazura reprised her role as Putri. The TV series marking Fazura second appearances in television series.
2007–2008: films and TV drama
Already a huge name in Malaysia entertainment industry within the last three years as one of the most predominant actresses, Fazura started 2007 with more works. Fazura went to playing the lead role in the 2007 film Kayangan and was cast in two TV drama series, Datin Diaries and Kasih Suci. Fazura co-starred alongside two Indonesian actors in both Kayangan and Kasih Suci. Kayangan was released on 9 August 2007, but was considered a box-office failure. Fazura then said to make a statement quoted as, "There's a lot more other factors that made a film failed on the markets. Wasn't entirely because of the actors in it". In the same year, Fazura went back to her route as a TV host to become a VJ on MTV Asia network channel. She hosted shows called MTV Jus and MTV Pop Inc. throughout the year. Fazura also reprised her role as Putri for the second season of the hit Gol & Gincu The Series which aired starting on 8 July 2007. In 2008, Fazura co-starred in the film titled Selamat Pagi Cinta playing Julia together with Pierre Andre, Sharifah Amani and Que Haidar. Later that year, Fazura was cast in another TV series playing the title character in Ezora. Premiered on 19 May, on TV3, the TV series was one of the hit drama series during the period. It premiered only for one season. Also in 2008, Fazura guest-starred on horror TV series called Keliwon.
2009–2011: Pisau Cukur, ESPN, Lagenda Budak Setan and TV movie and drama
In 2009, Fazura went to starred as one of the leading female role in the most anticipating film that year, Pisau Cukur. Fazura played a character named Intan who went to a vacation on a luxury cruise ship to cheered up her best friend Bella, played by Maya Karin, whereas while on the ship they come to encountered with three Datuks, three Datuk's wives, two Datuk's children, one private detective and one die-hard-fan of Bella's. The film released on 5 November 2009 and became box-office hit. It was the first time Fazura and Maya Karin have made a film together. In the same year, Fazura was chosen to host a reality program show alongside Rusdi Ramli called Anak Wayang as well as Malaysia's sport entertainment programme on ESPN Star Sports channel called MyEG Xtra Time! alongside Marion Caunter. According to Fazura, "Sports is often synonymous with male viewers, but with MyEG Xtra Time’s new concept of sports entertainment, I’m sure we’ll have lots of ladies tuning in as well! Men love sports, but I’m sure they’ll stay glued to the screens with the latest news outside the sports arena – and I’m certain lots of ladies will tune in as well with the gossipy nature of the show!". In 2010, Fazura signed on as Katerina/Kate, one of the central character in the novel adaptation film, Lagenda Budak Setan and received well reviews from critics and fans alike for her performance in the film. However Fazura did not returned for the sequel in 2012 and was replaced by another fellow actress, Maya Karin whom she had worked together with in Pisau Cukur. In the same year,Fazura was nominated and won the award for Best Supporting Actress in Motion Picture for her work in Pisau Cukur during the 2010 Anugerah Skrin.
Fazura acted in an Islamic theme drama series and its television movie, Kitab Cinta as well as Tahajjud Cinta for Al-Hijrah and TV3 respectively.
2012–2013: House of Doll and return to TV
In 2012, Fazura ventured into fashion business by opening a boutique called 'House Of Doll', located in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur. Her only film that year was Bujang Terlajak alongside comedians, Saiful Apek, Johan and Nabil.
The following year, Fazura return to the small screen in a 13 episodes drama on TV3, "Kisah Cinta" alongside Shaheizy Sam.
2014: Return to silver screen, music and reality TV show
Fazura returned to the silver screen in early 2014 with the release of new horror-comedy, "Kami Histeria", followed by a psychological-drama thriller, "Tembus" in the middle of 2014 and "Manisnya Cinta Di Cappadocia" in December. Fazura bagged the prestigious Best Actress Award at the 27th Malaysia Film Festival Awards for "Manisnya Cinta Di Cappadocia".
She also ventured into the music scene with the release of her first single, "Sayangi Dirimu" and was chosen to star in E!'s first Malaysian miniseries title, "Facing Up to Fazura". The series premiered across Asia starting 14 December 2014 on E! News Asia.
2015–2016: Recent development
She took one step ahead by announcing three variants of body mists spray — "I Love You", "Spotlight" and "Berry Beautiful" through her own brand namely "Mystical by Fazura" under her own company label, Doll Domination, which was launched on 14 October 2015 at her boutique, whilst saying she wanted to focus more on building her empire. She also plans to produce her own exclusive range of perfumes soon.
At the same time, she emerged with a new single called "Bangun", created by Lea Ismail (The Wak Lu's), one of the band members who was also involved in the mini showcase that being held at Hard Rock Cafe Melaka, in the same month. Having said in an interview with reporters, she is planning to produce a mini album which will consist about 7 songs.
On 18 October 2015, Fazura have succeeded a mini showcase live at Hard Rock Cafe, Melaka alongside her band, "The Wak Lu's" by performing a total 8 songs. She recently collaborated with a local alternative rock band, Estranged in a ballad slow rock called "Hancur Aku", which has now slowly climbing the local music charts after its debut. Their official music video currently marks more than 300 thousands views on YouTube.
The second season of Facing Up to Fazura has shown this fearless heroine continuing to confront the labels placed on her, challenging the public’s perception of the Fazura they know and rewriting society’s norms of how women should behave.
Fazura's new film, Langit Cinta was released in 7 January 2016. She also scored a role in Indonesian film Bulan Terbelah Di Langit Amerika where she plays Janet, a scheming secretary who is often the third party in other relationships. The actress duets with Indonesian singer Ridho Rhoma on the same titled soundtrack for the film, which is slated for a December release. Fazura also reportedly auditioned for the role of a doctor in a Hollywood production back in October. She told reporters in an interview that she will be involved with two film projects in Indonesia apart from a joint discussion with Astro Shaw for her new film, whilst saying she can't expose any further details as it's still in an early-stage.
Personal life and controversy
In early 2007, Fazura was involved and an item with Singapore Idol Season 2 winner, Hady Mirza after both having first met at the MTV Hip-Hop Party at the Ministry of Sound Club on 30 November 2006. According to a source, "He's (Mirza) very much into her (Fazura). They are madly in love and they talk practically every day on the phone". Responding to the rumoured via SMS, Fazura said, "While I am pretty open about my life and work, I really hope to keep my personal life private. I would rather not comment on speculations..." In another interview, Fazura said herself, "I would rather not say yes or not regarding the gossip". Fazura is good friends with TV host and singer Cheryl Samad and Gol & Gincu co-star Sazzy Falak.
Fazura allegedly assaulted Geraldine Mariana Wong, ex-wife of Ezra Effendi (son of Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Mohd Effendi Norwawi) during a fight over Ahmad Razman Ahmad Razali, 30, (the son of the late Tan Sri Ahmad Razali Mohd Ali, former Selangor Mentri Besar). Wong was allegedly assaulted at Bar Luna, Pacific Regency Hotel and Apartments, in Jalan Kia Peng here on 19 December 2004 at 1.20am. Wong, who testified as the first prosecution witness, told a magistrate’s court here that she had gone to Bar Luna with her friend Cerina Tan and was with several friends at the bar when the actress came up to her and started a conversation. She said Fazura suddenly shoved her three times and in retaliation, she shoved the Gol & Gincu star back. Fazura then was acquitted not guilty and discharged by the Magistrate's Court for the charge of causing hurt to the housewife.
As of 2013, a rumours went around which Fazura started a relationship with Malaysian actor, Shaheizy Sam.
|2004||Bicara Hati||Noraini||Won - Malaysian Film Festival for Most Promising Actress|
|2005||Qaisy & Laila||Laila||Nominated - Malaysian Film Festival for Best Actress|
|2005||Gol & Gincu||Putri Farhana Aliya||Nominated - 19th Malaysian Film Festival for Best Actress|
|2006||Rendang Untuk Mertua||Marina/Ina||TV film|
|2007||Kayangan||Masiera||Nominated - Malaysian Film Festival for Best Actress|
|2008||Selamat Pagi Cinta||Julia|
|2009||Pisau Cukur||Intan Mastura||Won - Screen Award for Best Supporting Actress in Film|
|2010||Lagenda Budak Setan||Katerina/Kate||Nominated - Malaysian Film Festival for Best Supporting Actress|
|2014||Kami Histeria||Cik Lang||Won - KL Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actress
Nominated - 27th Malaysian Film Festival for Best Supporting Actress
Nominated - Warna Comedy Awards for Best Comedy Actress
|2014||Manisnya Cinta Di Cappadoccia||Ifti Liyana||Won - 27th Malaysian Film Festival for Best Actress
Won - KL Film Critics Award for Best Actress
Nominated - Screen Award for Best Actress
|2015||Bulan Terbelah Di Langit Amerika||Janet|
|2016||Warkop DKI Reborn : Jangkrik Boss Part 1|
|2005||Inspirion||Azie||Main Role, TV3|
|2006||Gol & Gincu The Series||Putri Farhana Aliya||Lead Role, 8TV|
|2007||Gol & Gincu The Series 2||Putri Farhana Aliya||Main Role, 8TV|
|2007||Datin Diaries||Nelly||Main Role, TV3|
|2007||Kasih Suci||Kasih||Lead Role, TV3|
|2008||Ezora||Ezora||Main Role, TV3|
|2008||Bicara Cinta||Mila||Main Role, Astro|
|2011||Kitab Cinta||Mustika||Main Role, TV Al-Hijrah|
|2011||Tahajjud Cinta||Citra Maisara||Main Role, TV3|
|2013||Kisah Cinta||Azalea||Main Role, TV3|
|2016||Eropah, Here I Am||Firuz||Karya 12: Astro Citra|
|2004||MTV Pop Inc||Host||MTV|
|2006||Anugerah Skrin ke-8||Host with Naz||TV3|
|2009||Anak Wayang||Host with Rusdi Ramli||Astro Ria|
|2014||Malaysian Film Festival||Host with Fahrin Ahmad||Astro Ria|
|2014||Facing Up To Fazura (Season 1)||Herself||E! Asia|
|2015||Facing Up To Fazura (Season 2)||Herself||E! Asia|
|2015||Sayangi Dirimu||Fabian Wilfred Joseph|
|2015||Bulan Terbelah Di Langit Amerika (with Ridho Rhoma)||Rizal Mantovani|
|2016||Hancur Aku (Estranged feat. Fazura)||Brian Kouju|
|2016||Like Fireflies (collaboration with Ning Baizura & Taufik Batisah)|
|2017||Nothing Like Pag-ibig (Duet with Jason Dy)|
|2015||Sayangi Dirimu||Lyrics by Shah Shamshiri
Music by Damian Mikhail
|2015||Bangun||Lyrics & Music by Lea Ismail (The Wak Lu's)|
|2015||Hancur Aku||Lyrics & Music by Rich (Estranged)
Special collaboration with Estranged
|2015||Bulan Terbelah Di Langit Amerika||Lyrics & Music by Ammir Gita (Indonesian composer)
Special duet with Ridho Rhoma
|2016||Like Fireflies (Collaboration with Ning Baizura & Taufik Batisah)||Lyrics & Music by Estranged|
|2017||Nothing Like Pag-ibig (Duet with Jason Dy)||Lyrics & Music by Jungee Marcelo|
- "Nur Fazura info".
- "Delving into the heart of the story". Retrieved 2004-07-05.
- "Jangan salahkan saya-Fazura". Retrieved 9 September 2007.
- Budiey (10 December 2007). "Sinopsis Filem Selamat Pagi, Cinta! Lakonan Fazura". Sensasi Selebriti. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- Budiey (12 May 2008). "Drama Siri Baru Ezora Ganti Bella di Akasia TV3 Lakonan Fazura". Sensasi Selebriti. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- Budiey (2 February 2009). "Drama Seram KELIWON Lakonan Fasha Sandha, Fazura, Safura". Sensasi Selebriti. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- 2 heroin, tanpa pergaduhan - Maya dan Fazura boleh bekerjasama Kosmo!. 6 November 2008.
- Wahida Asrani (2009-10-16). "Fazura gementar hampir 'bercium' dengan Aaron Aziz". mStar Online. Retrieved 2009-12-08.
- Siti Azira Abd. Aziz (24 December 2008). "Maya dan Fazura sanggup jadi ' Pisau Cukur'?". mStar Online. Retrieved 2009-12-08.
- "Nur Fazura and Marion Caunter launch MyEG Xtra Time". Retrieved 8 December 2009.
- Fazura berhasrat buka cawangan House of Doll di Amerika. Astro Awani. 23 May 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "MFF27: 'Lelaki Harapan Dunia' wins Best Film, Fazura bags Best Actress trophy". Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Fazura pertaruh ‘Sayangi Dirimu’ Malaysiakini (25 April 2015). Retrieved on 3 March 2017.
- "Nur Fazura Sharifuddin to Star in E!'s First Malaysian Miniseries". Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- Arief Irsyad (3 Disember 2015). "Facing Up To Fazura" Star Gets Thrashed On Instagram For Mistaking 'KimK' For 'K***k' Malaysian Digest. Dicapai pada 21 Februari 2017.
- Patrick Frater (October 29, 2014). Get to know Fazura in E! channel’s first Malaysian-made miniseries The Star Online. Retrieved on October 31, 2014.
- Kenneth Chaw (November 1, 2015). Fazura opens up about her insecurities Star2. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- Nurjehan Mohamed (October 7, 2015). "Facing up to her critics". The Rakyat Post. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- "Fazura terus luaskan empayar, bakal lahir minyak wangi sendiri". The Rakyat Post. 15 October 2015.
- "Fazura sudah sedia berhijab, ucap selamat tinggal kepada dunia seni". The Rakyat Post. 15 January 2016.
- "Fazura & The Wak Lu's LIVE at Hard Rock Cafe Melaka".
- "Estranged Feat Fazura - Hancur Aku (Official Music Video)". YouTube. Retrieved 2016. Check date values in:
- "M'sian actress-host Fazura says no to love, yes to career". Noor Ashikin Abdul Rahman. The New Paper Singapore. 29 October 2015.
- "Keith Foo moves from romantic roles to 'Munsters'". Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "M'sian actress-host Fazura says no to love, yes to career". The New Paper - Singapore. 19 October 2015. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- "Award-winning actress Fazura heads to Hollywood". The Star Online. 28 December 2015.
- "They're madly in love". Retrieved 6 January 2007.
- "Tolak tepi gosip dengan Hady". Retrieved 30 January 2007.
- "Actress's plea of self-defence accepted". 23 September 2008.
- Siti Azira Abd. Aziz (2008-09-22). "Fazura: Keputusan dibebaskan mahkamah hadiah hari jadi saya". mStar Online. Retrieved 2008-10-15.
- "Fazura mengaku dia cemburu". Kosmo!. 15 March 2008. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Budiey (9 December 2007). "Kes mahkamah pelakon Selamat Pagi Cinta, Nur Fazura bela diri". Sensasi Selebriti. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "Jaguh MMA negara ditampilkan dalam filem aksi 'J Revolusi'". Astro Awani. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "Rafathar Jadi Superhero di Film Produksi Raffi Ahmad". Warta Kota. Retrieved 6 November 2016.
- "Sayangi Dirimu by Fazura [Official Music Video]". Youtube.
- "Ridho Rhoma feat Fazura "Bulan Terbelah di Langit Amerika"". Youtube.
- "Estranged Feat Fazura - Hancur Aku (Official Music Video)". Youtube.
- "Like Fireflies - Taufik Batisah, Ning Baizura & Fazura". Youtube.
- "Jason Dy, Fazura - Nothing Like Pag-ibig". Youtube.
- "'Fresh feel and look' uniforms for Firefly staff". The Star Online. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Malaysian celeb explores her (Pinoy) options". Inquirer.net. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nur Fazura.|