|Nusret H. Fişek|
November 21, 1914|
|Died||November 3, 1990
|Resting place||Cebeci Adri Cemetery, Ankara|
|Occupation||Academic, civil servant|
|Spouse(s)||Perihan Rukiye Fişek (m. 1940, d. 2007)|
|Children||2 sons: Kurthan Fişek (1942-2012), A. Gürhan Fişek (1951- )|
|Parent(s)||Hayrullah Fişek, Mukaddes Fişek|
|Relatives||Brother: Hicri Fişek|
Nusret Hasan Fişek was born in Sivas to Hayrullah Fişek, a commander at the Turkish War of Independence, and Mukaddes on November 21, 1914. He had a brother, A. Hicri Fişek. He was registered in Istanbul.
After finishing Kabataş High School in 1932, he studied Medicin at Istanbul University. In 1938, he graduated with honors. He began his specialization study in Bacteriology at the same university. In 1946, he became a specialist in Biomedicine and Food chemistry (Biochemistry). Fişek obtained a Doctor of Medicine title from Harvard University in 1952.
In 1955, Fişek became assistant professor for Biochemistry. He was promoted to full professor of Public Health in 1966. He gained international success for his scientific works on tetanus toxoid. He established biochemistry labs and contributed to their improvement.
In 1960, still head of the Public Health School, he was appointed undersecretary at the Ministry of Health, and served at this position until 1965. During this time period, he acted also as the minister's placeholder for a while. In 1963, Fişek took the post of the head of the newly established Institute of Community Medicine at Hacettepe University in Ankara.
He was member of many professional organizations at domestic and international level. He is the author of a number of scientific publications also in foreign languages.
- 150th Anniversary Award by Michigan University for his works on Demography,
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) for his works on Socialiaztion of Health.
- TUBİTAK Bilim ve Hizmet Ödülü (1993) by Scientific_and_Technological_Research_Council_of_Turkey for his works on Demography and Socialization of Health.
Awards Named After Him
- The Chamber of Physicians in Istanbul established the "Prof. Dr. Nusret H. Fişek Public Health Service Promotion Award" in his honor. It is bestowed every year to persons or organizations, which contributed to basic public health service.
- Turkish Medical Association established the "Prof. Dr. Nusret H. Fişek Public Health Science and Service Awards" since 1991.
Places Named After Him
- Adıyaman, Tut İlçesi, Reşadiye Mah. (since 1970, the only one not posthumous)
- Ankara, Sıhhiye
- Adana, Seyhan
- Tekirdağ, Çorlu, Muhittin Mah.
- Ankara, Çankaya, Yıldız
- İzmir, Balçova, Onur Mah.
- İzmir, Balçova, Evka-1
- Manisa, Salihli
- "Özgeçmişi" (in Turkish). Fisek. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Nusret Fişek anıldı". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 2007-11-05. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Kurthan Fişek'in acı günü". Hürriyet (in Turkish). 2007-01-21. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Ergun, Bülent & Mustafa Kaya (2012-09-18). "Efsane 'sıfırcı'ya veda". Sabah (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "A. Gürhan Fişek" (in Turkish). İş Güvenliği. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Hatun, Şükrü (2001-06-10). "Unutulan sağlık ocakları". Radikal (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Geçmiş Yıllarda Ödül Alanlar" (in Turkish). TÜBİTAK. Retrieved 2015-12-05.
- "Prof. Dr. Nusret H. Fişek Halk Sağlığı Hizmet Teşvik Ödülü" (PDF) (in Turkish). İstanbul Tabip Odası. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Nusret Fişek Anma Etkinlikleri" (in Turkish). Fisek. Retrieved 2015-12-05.
- "Prof. Dr. Nusret Fişek Sağlık Meslek Lisesi". Hürriyet (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- (in Turkish). Çankaya Belediyesi http://www.cankaya.bel.tr/pages/180/Nusret-Fisek-Etut-Merkezi/. Retrieved 2015-12-05. Missing or empty
- (in Turkish). Fisek Institute http://nusret.fisek.org.tr/onu-animsatanlar/. Retrieved 2015-12-05. Missing or empty