|The Original Rudeboys (O.R.B.)|
The Original Rudeboys backstage at a gig
|Genres||Acoustic, Indie, Hip Hop|
|Years active||2011 –2016|
|Labels||Gotta Run Records|
Sean "Neddy" Arkins|
The Original Rudeboys (O.R.B for short) are an Irish acoustic pop/hip hop band from Dublin. They are notable for the single "Stars In My Eyes", which hit number 2 on iTunes and has received national airplay. They have played such venues as The Olympia Theatre and have also played at festivals such as Oxegen and the Reading and Leeds Festivals. The band consists of Sean "Neddy" Arkins (Rap Vocals), Robert Burch (Guitar and Vocals), Sean "Walshy" Walsh (Ukulele). The band's genre has been described as a cross between hip hop and indie.
The three bandmates grew up together in the same neighbourhood in the North Inner City of Dublin. They attended the same school and became friends around the ages of 7 or 8. They each wrote and performed music individually before coming together as "The Original Rudeboys". A lot of the songs on their debut album were written two to three years before they became a band.
The Original Rudeboys first became a band in March 2011 after having met at the home of a mutual friend. They decided to come together and write a song after a couple of drinks. This impromptu session was recorded and uploaded to YouTube where it first gained recognition. This song, "Stars In My Eyes", went on to become the band's first official single. According to the group they had no intention of becoming a band but after seeing the views on their videos rise they decided to take on the music industry. The band's name came about from a T-shirt bearing the words "The Original Rudeboys" that Arkins wore to a band appearance. Jokingly claiming the shirt to be part of the band's merchandise, the band adopted the phrase as their official name.
After one month, the band gained the interest of the Irish Media and were invited onto a chat show on TV3. From this appearance they received invitations from many more media outlets such as national radio stations and also an appearance on RTÉ's The Saturday Night Show. The band then went on to put on their first headline show in Dublin's Academy 2 where they sold out 3 shows.
In 2014 a set of the bands groupies set up an honorary professional punting splinter group known as the Original Shrewd Boys (OSB). The group is led by the shrewd father BigTime P Browne, also known as the orchestrator. The group have laid claim to many notorious Irish racing gambles and have an estimated net worth of €2.35m.
Based on their single YouTube video, the band quickly gained attention, earning festival appearances and gigs in both Ireland and England. They decided to write some more songs and record videos for each. These videos ("Live Your Life", "Sunny Days" and "Bringing Me Down") each went viral in their own right. The video for "Sunny Days" is a dedication to a friend of the group who died due to suicide and features the band having a BBQ with their friends and touches on the issue of suicide awareness.
In Ireland "The Original Rudeboys" joined up with UB40, The Coronas and The Rubberbandits at the inaugural Strawberry Fest in Wexford in June and 50 Cent and Faithless at the first ever Waterford Music Festival in July.
The band also played the Oxegen Festival on the Vodafone stage in July. They played to a crowd of 5,000 where they were spotted by a BBC reporter and were subsequently invited to play the "Introducing Stage" at both Leeds Festival and Reading Festival in August. Among the crowd at the Reading Festival was producer Jake Gosling who approached the band after their set and asked would they like to work with him. After the festival they joined him in his studio and recorded some tracks, including the official version of "Stars In My Eyes", that were collected and release as Travelling Man EP. The band then later returned to Sticky Studios to record their first full album This Life.
Release of This Life
During the winter of 2011 the band returned to the UK to complete their first album This Life, which includes 10 original tracks and re-recordings of the previously self-recorded YouTube tracks. The band returned from the UK to release their first official single "Stars In My Eyes", which was released on 14 October 2011 and peaked at No. 2 in the Irish iTunes charts and No. 18 on the Irish Singles Chart. The album was released on 23 March 2012 and debuted at No. 1 on the Irish iTunes charts, No. 1 on The Independent Charts and No. 3 on the Irish Albums Chart. Their second single, "Travelling Man", went straight to No. 1 on the Irish iTunes chart and peaked at No. 23 on the Irish Singles Chart. Off the back of this success the band went to travel the country playing gigs in some of Ireland's most prestigious venues. They also supported International artists such as US Rapper The Game and English rapper Professor Green as well as Irish artists Sinéad O'Connor and Damien Dempsey at their headline shows. In December 2012 it was announced The Original Rudeboys will be supporting fellow Irish band The Script on the European dates of their 2013 world tour. The album This Life has officially gone platinum since 12/12/13.
On 7 July 2012 they supported Swedish House Mafia, in their final Irish date before they disbanded, in Phoenix Park, Dublin, with Calvin Harris, Snoop Dogg and Tinie Tempah. During the concert two people died from drug overdoses and nine people were stabbed, while thirty people were arrested for assault, drugs and public order offences. This brought up the question of whether the music played attracted violence. Singer Arkins claimed "I don't think it's the music itself, the music doesn't tell these people to do things like that." And Walsh added that he thought the trouble was overdone and he didn't notice anything.
In November 2012, The Original Rudeboys turned down an opportunity to open for Chris Brown on 3 December 2012 in Dublins O2 Arena. They have stated it is due to his attack on former girlfriend, Rihanna, in 2009. Walshy gave an interview with RTÉ saying they are "completely against Chris Brown's assault on Rihanna" and supporting him "would send out the wrong message to our fans."
On 7 October 2013, the band posted a clip of a new song titled "Never Gonna Walk Away" on their Facebook page. The song was released on 22 November 2013.
On 18 February 2014, the band announced the second single off album 2 titled "Feel It In Your Soul". The song was released on 25 April 2014, and hit number 1 on iTunes in under 24 hours.
On 19 February 2014 it was announced that the band had changed their name to ORB.
On 3 June 2014, Can't Let Go was released as the third single off the album 
On 14 November 2014, Never Alone was released as the fourth single off the album, and as a charity single linked with Console Ireland to help suicide awareness
- Official members
- Sean "Neddy" Arkins - rapper, vocals
- Robert Burch - lead vocals, lead guitar
- Sean "Walshy" Walsh - ukulele
For live gigs: Ciaran Donnelly - bass player Alan Connon - drummer.
On 12 June 2016 the lads announced their break up to their fans and that they would play one last farewell gig on 27 August 2016. Aim high and succeed and give it all to the day that you leave.
|Album Title||Album details||Chart positions||Certifications|
|All We Are||2||-|
|Travelling Man EP||
|Written Songs (Feeling Good) EP||
|Year||Title||Peak chart position||Album|
|2011||"Stars in My Eyes"||18||This Life|
||"Never Gonna Walk Away"||9||All We Are|
|2014||"Feel it in Your Soul"||5|
|"Can't Let Go"||—|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart.|
|"X" denotes title not released yet.|
- "Whelan's Blog Archive - The Original Rudeboys". Archived from the original on 2 June 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "BBC Reading and Leeds 2011 - The Original Rudeboys". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Review: The Original Rudeboys – This Life". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Interview: The Original Rudeboys Discuss New Single 'Written Songs (Feeling Good)', The Beatles And Their Biggest Flaw". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Festival.ie - The Original Rudeboys". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "The Original Rudeboys Interview: "Crowds of all sizes keep you grounded"". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "10 things you (probably) didn't know about The Original Rudeboys". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Irish Hip Hop Unplugged - Craic Music". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "RTÉ Television - The Saturday Night Show". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Original Rudeboys announce slot at Strawberry Fest". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "A Rude Awakening". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "The Original Rudeboys added to Oxegen lineup". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "The Original Rudeboys Announce Two Christmas Shows At The Academy". Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Original Rudeboys - Stars In My Eyes - Music Charts". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Original Rudeboys - Travelling Man - Music Charts". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "The Script announce Original Rudeboys as support act for European Tour Dates in 2013". Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- "Stage times revealed for Swedish House Mafia at Phoenix Park Dublin on Saturaday 7th July 2012!". Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Man charged over stabbings at Phoenix Park concert". BBC News. 9 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "The Sun - Irish Home - Irish News". Archived from the original on 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Original Rudeboys reject Chris Brown support slot over Rihanna assault". Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Irish act snubs Brown over Rihanna attack". Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Never Gonna Walk Away Facebook video". Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- https://www.facebook.com/OriginalRudeboys/posts/10151873964921249?stream_ref=10. Missing or empty
- https://www.facebook.com/OriginalRudeboys/photos/a.186944678009909.33392.184660258238351/648081888562850/?type=1&stream_ref=10. Missing or empty
- "TOP 10 INDEPENDENT ARTIST ALBUMS, WEEK ENDING 8 May 2014". Chart-Track.co.uk. GFK Chart-Track. IRMA. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "The Original Rudeboys add second Olympia Theatre date due to demand". Archived from the original on 5 March 2013. Retrieved 25 December 2012.
- "iTunes - Music - Travelling Man - EP by The Original Rudeboys". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "iTunes - Music - Written Songs (Feeling Good) - EP by The Original Rudeboys". Retrieved 14 August 2012.