|• Mayor||Jean-Marie Degauque (PS)|
|• Governing party/ies||PS, Ensemble|
|• Total||72.29 km2 (27.91 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||260/km2 (670/sq mi)|
|Postal codes||7860 Lessines
Lessines (Dutch: Lessen; Picard: Lissene) is a Picardy municipality located in the Belgian province of Hainaut. As of the 2014 census, Lessine's total population was 18,637. The total area is 72.29 km² (27.91 square miles) which gives a population density of 247 inhabitants per km².
The municipality consists of the following sub-municipalities: Lessines proper, Ghoy, Bois-de-Lessines (Lessenbos), Ogy (Oseke), Papignies (Papegem), Deux-Acren (Acren), Wannebecq (Wannebeek), and Ollignies (Woelingen).
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2015)
The LESSINES post-office opened before 1830. It used a postal code 71 with bars (before 1864), and 214 with points before 1874. DEUX-ACREN on 15 May 1866. It used a postal code 104 with points before 1874. The PAPIGNIES post-office opened on 18 February 1880, GHOY and OLLIGNIES on 25 May 1905, OGY on 5 November 1907.
Postal codes in 1969: -7850 Ollignies -7851 Bois-de-Lessines -7860 Lessines -7861 Papignies -7862 Ogy -7863 Ghoy -7870 Deux-Acren
Postal codes since at least 1990: -7860 Lessines -7861 Papignies, Wannebecq (not opened in 1969) -7862 Ogy -7863 Ghoy -7864 Deux-Acren -7866 Bois-de-Lessines, Ollignies.
- Population per municipality as of 1 January 2016 (XLS; 397 KB)
- Catalogue Spécialisé des Oblitérations Belges, Nationale en Internationale Postzegelmanifestaties Antwerpen (NIPA), Antwerp, 1999.
- Liste des Numéros Postaux, Administration des Postes, Bruxelles 1969.
- Media related to Lessines at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (in French)
- One alternative site, with lots of further information on the city (in French, Dutch, English)
- Another alternative site, with lots of further information on the city (in French)
|This Hainaut province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|