Oldstead is a village and a civil parish in Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England, within the North York Moors National Park, off the A170 road between Thirsk and Helmsley, below the Hambleton Hills. Nearby villages include Wass, Kilburn and Coxwold. Oldstead shares a parish council with Byland with Wass.
Oldstead has one pub called the Black Swan, which was awarded a Michelin star for the first time in the 2012 guide. It is currently the only restaurant in Yorkshire and the North East to hold the highly sought after combination of four AA rosettes and a Michelin Star. Head chef, Tommy Banks has been the youngest Michelin Starred chef since 2013 and is due to make his TV debut on BBC Two's Great British Menu.
The Black Swan celebrated its 10th Anniversary on 'Yorkshire Day' 1 August 2016.
Oldstead has a moor called Oldstead Moor, a place of worship and an area called Scotch Corner (not to be confused with Scotch Corner Middleton Tyas) A’s published on ordnance survey, though a better description is Scots Corner reputed to be near the battle of Byland in 1311. At the corner are two buildings originally renovated from dilapidated barns during 1956/7 by John Bunting, Sculptor who dedicated the larger of the two buildings as a non denominational war memorial chapel and decorated it with several of his sculptures and stained glass windows. The Chapel is opened to the public three times each year.
In the woods below the chapel there has been several reports of a family of gibbons living in the trees. It is thought they had escaped from a private collection some years ago. There has been numerous sightings and even photographic evidence to support the claims.
- Philip's Street Atlas North Yorkshire (page 91)
- A-Z Great Britain Road Atlas (page 99)
- "Ampleforth Ward Profile" (PDF). Ryedale District Council. May 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 August 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- http://www.blackswanoldstead.co.uk/ Black Swan at Oldstead
- "Hand & Flowers becomes first pub to win two Michelin stars". UTV Media. 6 October 2011. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Scotch Corner Memorial Chapel
- Newsome, Clive (2003). The Abbey Trail. Sigma Leisure. p. 124. ISBN 9781850588030.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oldstead.|