15 April 1865|
Kraków, Austrian Empire
26 October 1940 (aged 75)|
Paris, German military administration in occupied France during World War II
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Olga Boznańska.|
Olga Boznańska (15 April 1865 – 26 October 1940) was a Polish painter of the turn of the 20th century. She was a notable female painter in Poland and Europe, and was stylistically associated with the French impressionism.
Boznańska was born in Kraków during foreign partitions of Poland. She was the daughter of a railway engineer, Adam Nowina Boznański, and Eugenia née Mondan of French origin. Boznańska learned drawing first with Józef Siedlecki and Kazimierz Pochwalski locally. She studied at the Adrian Baraniecki School for Women. She débuted in 1886 at the Kraków Association of Friends of Fine Arts exhibition.
From 1886–1890 she studied art in the private schools of Karl Kricheldorf and Wilhelm Dürr in Munich. From then on she devoted herself mostly to portraits, still lifes and occasionally landscapes. In 1898, she joined the Society of Polish Artists "Sztuka" and in the same year moved to Paris, where she became a member of the Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts and started teaching at the Académie de la Grande Chaumière and joined the Polish Society of Literature and Art (Polskie Towarzystwo Literacko-Artystyczne).
Her most famous 1894 portrait of an unknown child Girl with Chrysanthemums fascinated her contemporaries by its symbolist atmosphere and psychological insight. Boznańska received the French Legion of Honour in 1912, the Golden Laurel of the Polish Academy of Literature in 1936, and in 1938 she was awarded the Order of Polonia Restituta. She died in Paris at the age of 75.
- "Boznańska Olga". Malarstwo, Europa; początek XX w. Encyklopedia WIEM, Onet.pl. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- Irena Kossowska, Instytut Sztuki Polskiej Akademii Nauk (July 2002). "Olga Boznańska". Sztuki wizualne. Warsaw: Instytut Adama Mickiewicza Culture.pl. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- Paweł Czopiński, Inspiracje sztuką Japonii w malarstwie Olgi Boznańskiej.[permanent dead link] Muzeum Okręgowe W Toruniu, 2008.
- More paintings by Olga Boznańska
- Numerous paintings by Olga Boznańska including Girl with Chrysanthemums
- Boznańska, Olga at WIEM encyklopedia
- Profile of Olga Boznańska at Culture.pl