|Internet media type|
|Developed by||Open eBook Forum|
Open eBook Publication Structure (OEBPS) 2.0
(September 2007 )
|Type of format||e-Book file format|
|Contained by||OEB Package Format (ZIP)|
|Extended from||XML, defined subset of XHTML, CSS, Dublin Core|
|Extended to||EPUB electronic publication standard|
|Website||Open eBook Forum|
Open eBook (or OEB), or formally, the Open eBook Publication Structure (OEBPS), is a legacy e-book format which has been superseded by the EPUB format. It was "based primarily on technology developed by SoftBook Press". and on XML. OEB was released with a free version belonging to public domain and a full version to be used with or without DRM by the publishing industry.
Open eBook is a ZIP file plus a Manifest file. Inside the package a defined subset of XHTML may be used, along with CSS and Dublin Core metadata. The default file extension is .opf (OEB Package Format).
Specification release history
- September 2007 – Open Publication Structure (OPS) 2.0, EPUB. Released, supersedes the OEBPS 1.2
- August 2002 – OEBPS 1.2 Recommended Specification Released
- June 2001 – OEBPS 1.0.1 replaces OEBPS 1.0
- September 1999 – Open eBook Publication Structure (OEBPS) 1.0 released
- Adobe Digital Editions
- FBReader – GPL e-book reader for Unix/Windows computers.
- Lexcycle Stanza
- Openberg Lector – cross-platform reader released under the GPL and based on Mozilla platform
- Sony Reader – As of 2008[update] the Sony Reader PRS-505 supports the EPUB file format.
- Intel Reader 
- Barnes & Noble Nook 
- Kobo eReader 
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-06-04. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- Judge, Paul (1998-11-16), "E-Books: A Library On Your Lap", BusinessWeek, archived from the original on February 8, 2000
- http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=3623&mdl=PRS505 Sony Reader PRS-505
- Intel Reader Archived 2012-09-10 at Archive.is
- Barnes & Noble Nook
- Kobo Reader
- Open eBook Forum
- Open Publication Structure (OPS) 2.0
- Adobe's Sample eBook Library
- Article "EPUB" at the MobileRead Wiki
- ePub Validator - This utility allows to validate the epub file to ePub standards of 1.0.5
- EPUB Validator (beta)
|This standards- or measurement-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|