||This article was nominated for deletion. The discussion was closed on 28 July 2015 with a consensus to merge the content into the article List of E-book software. If you find that such action has not been taken promptly, please consider assisting in the merger instead of re-nominating the article for deletion. To discuss the merger, please use the destination article's talk page. (July 2015)|
FBReader on Maemo
|Stable release||184.108.40.206 / April 21, 2014|
|Preview release||2.0 beta 14 / November 23, 2013|
|Written in||C++, Java|
|License||GPL (free software)|
It was originally written for the Sharp Zaurus and currently runs on many other mobile devices, like the Nokia Internet Tablets, as well as desktop computers. A preview of FBReaderJ (the Java port) for Google Android was released on April 13, 2008.
FBReader was originally released for the Sharp Zaurus in January 2005, a Maemo port was added in December 2005 for the Nokia 770. FBReader has since had binary packages released for many mobile device platforms and most major personal computer (PC) operating systems. The FBReader name with the FB prefix comes from FictionBook, an e-book format which is popular in Russia, the country of FBReader's author.
The original FBReader was writting in C++, however in 2007 a fork called FBReaderJ was created, which was written in Java. As the Android platform became available in the following years, this fork became the codebase for the android app, which the C++ codebase remained in use for the other platforms.
- support Multiple book tar, ZIP, GZIP and BZIP2 archives.
- encoding detection
- generates contents table.
- Embedded images
- Position indicator (substitutes for page number).
- library building
- Most Recent Book
- last read positions for all previously opened books
- List of last opened books.
- Automatic hyphenations
- Text search.
- Full-screen mode.
- Screen rotation by 90, 180 and 270 degrees.
File format support
FBReader supports the following file formats:
- EPUB : all the main features except the tables. CSS support is not full.
- EPUB3 : does not support most of ePub 3 specific features
- Mobipocket : opens non-encrypted *.mobi files. DRM-protected files are not supported.
- FB 2.0 : fully supported
- FB 2.1 : lacks support of tables
- HTML : limited, sufficient support
- Plain text : supported, might not correctly split text into paragraphs.
- RTF : subset of RTF
- DOC (Microsoft Word) : subset of DOC
- PDF :
- Android: via separate plugin with third-party library
- Other platforms: not supported
- DjVu :
- Android: via separate plugin
- Other platforms: not supported
- Plucker :
- Android: not supported at this moment
- Other platforms: “absolute positioning” commands may be interpreted or ignored
- DAISY 3 : added to Go Read for Bookshare on Google Play
- a fork of FBReaderJ by Benetech
- Microsoft Windows
- BlackBerry 10
- Mac OS X
- mobile Linux devices:
- Sharp Zaurus with Qtopia-based ROMs, pdaXrom or OpenZaurus ROM.
- Archos PMA430.
- Siemens Simpad with Opensimpad 0.9.0/Opie ROM.
- Nokia 770/N800/N810 Nokia Internet tablets (maemo).
- Pepper Pad 3.
- Motorola E680i/A780 smartphones.
- Digital Reader 1000 and Digital Reader DR800SG
- Hanlin eReader
- Openinkpot - OS replacement for Hanlin eReader and Hanvon N516
- Pocketbook - E Ink e-book readers
- SmartQ 5 and SmartQ 7
- Geometer Plus LLC is developer of FBReader(.org)
- 2005 FBReader by Nikolay Pultsin.
2007 July Nikolay founded Geometer Plus LLC., St.Petersburg, Russia.
2013 June FBReader.ORG LTD, England and Wales Company No 08579768.
- Select and Access Company Information - companies-house.gov.uk
- FBReader - google play
- read phone status and identity
- is geometerplus.com but tells google: geometerplus.org
- Geometer Plus LLC joined the Open Dictionary API Alliance
- FBReader.org website - Xena Shurubura
- CoolReader - Vadim Lopatin
- CoolReader - Vadim Lopatin - play.google.com
- FBReader & CoolReader are more android focused.
reading on handhelds
- FBReader Android Supports Slovo
- fbreader adds drm
- yotaphone adds fbreader
- top reading apps for sony-z3
- Is Your E-Book Reading Up On You? : NPR
- FBReader: About FBReader
- FBReader: obsolete versions
- FBReader and its .fb2 format, maemo.org forum, 2005
- "geometer/FBReaderJ". GitHub. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- "geometer/FBReader". GitHub. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- TTS+ Plugin - enhanced Text-To-Speech plugin for FBReader for Android
- E-book formats, supported and not supported | Free eBook Reader - Free!
- Official website
- FBReader Android package at the F-Droid repository
- Help building FBReaderJ (How to build)
- fbreader - androidcentral.com
- FBReader - Mobile Read Wiki
- FBReader by Geometer Plus: Customer Reviews (4.3 stars: 5 stars 55%, 4 stars 31%)
- FBReader is a better ebook reader - Pocketables
- FBReader is Adding Support for DRM-ed eBooks, But Not For the Reasons You Think - the-digital-reader.com
- FBReader Has Encyclopedic Knowledge of E-Book Formats - LinuxInsider
- Five easy to use desktop ebook readers - TechRepublic (By Jack Wallen, November 21, 2012)
- e-book reader (fbreader) — Ubuntu Apps Directory
- The Top 5 Best eReader apps for Android Tablets - Oakbranch Media Inc.
- Don't Like Amazon? Alternatives To The Kindle eBook Reader App For Android - makeuseof.com
- O’Reilly’s Mobile Web eBook Reader - Bookworm – Wap Review
- App review: FBReader – Immersive mode and more. - Juli Monroe, July 21, 2014 - TeleRead
Category:Linux text-related software Category:Embedded Linux Category:Free multimedia software Category:Free software programmed in C++ Category:Free software programmed in Java (programming language) Category:EPUB readers Category:Free and open-source Android software
|This Linux-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|