FBReader on Maemo
18.104.22.168 / April 21, 2014
2.0.13 beta 13 / November 23, 2013
|Written in||C++, Java|
|License||GPL (free software)|
It was originally written for the Sharp Zaurus and currently runs on many other mobile devices, like the Nokia Internet Tablets, as well as desktop computers. A preview of FBReaderJ (the Java port) for Google Android was released on April 13, 2008.
Nikolay Pultsin wrote the first FBReader; the tool was released for the Sharp Zaurus in January 2005, a Maemo port was added[by whom?] in December 2005 for the Nokia 770. FBReader has since had binary packages released for many mobile-device platforms and for most major personal computer (PC) operating systems. The FBReader name with the FB prefix comes from FictionBook, an e-book format popular in Russia, the country of FBReader's author.
The original FBReader was written in C++; however, in 2007 a fork called FBReaderJ was created[by whom?], which was written in Java. As the Android platform became available in the following years, this fork became the codebase for the Android app, while the C++ codebase remained in use for other platforms.
- support Multiple book tar, ZIP, GZIP and BZIP2 archives.
- encoding detection
- generates contents table.
- Embedded images
- Position indicator (substitutes for page number).
- library building
- Most Recent Book
- last read positions for all previously opened books
- List of last opened books.
- Automatic hyphenations
- Text search.
- Full-screen mode.
- Screen rotation by 90, 180 and 270 degrees.
File format support
FBReader supports the following file formats:
- EPUB : all the main features except the tables. CSS support is not full.
- EPUB3 : does not support most of ePub 3 specific features
- Mobipocket : opens non-encrypted *.mobi files. DRM-protected files are not supported.
- FB 2.0 : fully supported
- FB 2.1 : lacks support of tables
- HTML : limited, sufficient support
- Plain text : supported, might not correctly split text into paragraphs.
- RTF : subset of RTF
- DOC (Microsoft Word) : subset of DOC
- PDF :
- Android: via separate plugin with third-party library
- Other platforms: not supported
- DjVu :
- Android: via separate plugin
- Other platforms: not supported
- Plucker :
- Android: not supported at this moment
- Other platforms: “absolute positioning” commands may be interpreted or ignored
- DAISY 3 : added to Go Read for Bookshare on Google Play
- a fork of FBReaderJ by Benetech
- Microsoft Windows
- BlackBerry 10
- Mac OS X
- mobile Linux devices:
- Sharp Zaurus with Qtopia-based ROMs, pdaXrom or OpenZaurus ROM.
- Archos PMA430.
- Siemens Simpad with Opensimpad 0.9.0/Opie ROM.
- Nokia 770/N800/N810 Nokia Internet tablets (maemo).
- Pepper Pad 3.
- Motorola E680i/A780 smartphones.
- Digital Reader 1000 and Digital Reader DR800SG
- Hanlin eReader
- Openinkpot - OS replacement for Hanlin eReader and Hanvon N516
- Pocketbook - E Ink e-book readers
- SmartQ 5 and SmartQ 7
- Is Your E-Book Reading Up On You? : NPR
- FBReader: About FBReader
- FBReader: obsolete versions
- FBReader and its .fb2 format, maemo.org forum, 2005
- "geometer/FBReaderJ". GitHub. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- "geometer/FBReader". GitHub. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- TTS+ Plugin - enhanced Text-To-Speech plugin for FBReader for Android
- E-book formats, supported and not supported | Free eBook Reader - Free!