The new village of Oradour-sur-Glane
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Raymond Frugier|
|Area1||38.16 km2 (14.73 sq mi)|
|• Density||58/km2 (150/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|INSEE/Postal code||87110 /87520|
227–312 m (745–1,024 ft) |
(avg. 285 m or 935 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The original village was destroyed on 10 June 1944, when 642 of its inhabitants, including women and children, were massacred by a company of troops belonging to the 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich, a Waffen-SS unit of the military forces of Nazi Germany. A new village was built after the war on a nearby site, but on the orders of the then French president, Charles de Gaulle, the original has been maintained as a permanent memorial. The Centre de la mémoire d'Oradour museum is located beside the historic site.
- Robert Hébras, born on 29 June 1925 in Oradour-sur-Glane; one of the six survivors of the Oradour-sur-Glane massacre on 10 June 1944.
- Jean-Claude Peyronnet, (1940–), French politician, creator of the Centre of the Memory of Oradour-sur-Glane.
- Sébastien Puygrenier began his football career at US Oradour-sur-Glane where his father and his uncles played
- Didier Barbelivien, French singer-songwriter, pays tribute to Oradour by his song "Les amants d'Oradour".
- Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques. "Population of Oradour-sur-Glane from 1806 to 2008" (PDF). Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- Farmer, Sarah. Martyred Village: Commemorating the 1944 Massacre at Oradour-sur-Glane. University of California Press, 2000.
- Fouché, Jean-Jacques. Massacre At Oradour: France, 1944; Coming To Grips With Terror, Northern Illinois University Press, 2004.
- Penaud, Guy. La "Das Reich" 2e SS Panzer Division (Parcours de la division en France, 560 pp), Éditions de La Lauze/Périgueux. ISBN 2-912032-76-8
Media related to Oradour-sur-Glane at Wikimedia Commons