Otter Rapids Generating Station
|Otter Rapids Generating Station|
Otter Rapids Dam and Generating Station as seen from the Ontario Northland Railway
Location of Otter Rapids Generating Station in Ontario
|Location||Cochrane District, Ontario|
|Opening date||September 26, 1961|
|Owner(s)||Ontario Power Generation|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Embankment dam|
|Spillway type||Controlled chute|
|Turbines||4 x 46 MVA, 60 Hz, 138.4 RPM|
|Installed capacity||182 MW|
Otter Rapids Generating Station is a dam and hydroelectric power plant located in Pitt Township in the Unorganized North Part of Cochrane District in Northeastern Ontario, Canada. Owned by Ontario Power Generation, this 4-unit, 182 MW station is part of the Northeast Plant Group. The Ontario Northland Railway runs past this facility.
Preliminary surveys of the site were conducted in 1945. In 1951 additional site information was gathered with studies and estimates refined. Approval under the Navigable Waters Protection Act was received in October 1958 and the first generating unit came online on September 26, 1961.
A community of employees and their families inhabited the adjacent colony called Otter Rapids. This community of over 1,000 people was well equipped with a bank, post office, snack bar, grocery store, billiard hall, bowling alley, curling rink, hockey rink, fire hall, 10-bed hospital and auditorium.
- Bomben, Stefano G; Pratt, Brian I (2001-05-02). "Pre-Outage Installation Of The Air Gap Monitoring System Reduces Outage Time And Saves Money" (PDF). User Conference on Machine Condition Monitoring – Orlando, Florida, USA – May 1–2, 2001. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-05-26. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Pitt" (PDF). Geology Ontario - Historic Claim Maps. Ontario Ministry of Northern Development, Mines and Forestry. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Otter Rapids". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Otter Rapids Generating Station". www.opg.com. Toronto. Archived from the original on 13 November 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- Martin, Douglas (1984-06-03). "Polar Bear Express". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-07-30.