|Shell of Oxychilus alliarius|
informal group Sigmurethra
clade limacoid clade
Helix alliaria Miller, 1822
Oxychilus alliarius, common name the "garlic snail" or "garlic glass-snail", is a species of small air-breathing land snail, a terrestrial pulmonate gastropod mollusk in the family Oxychilidae, the glass snails.
The specific name alliarius refer to the Allium that means garlic. The common name also refer to the fact that when this animal is disturbed, it gives off a strong smell similar to that of raw garlic.
This species occurs in a number of countries and islands including:
- Great Britain
- Czech Republic. It has the eastern boundary of its native distribution in western Bohemia, the Czech Republic.
- and other areas
The non-indigenous distribution of Oxychilus alliarius includes:
The 3.5-4 × 5-7 mm shell has 4-4.5 slightly convex whorls. The last whorl is often weakly descending near aperture. The whorls from whorl 3 onwards are more narrowly coiled than in Oxychilus cellarius, the last whorl descending lower. The umbilicus is wide (1/6 of diameter). The shell is smooth, shiny, weakly reddish to greenish brown. The animal is blackish blue. Anatomy: The internal ornamentation of the proximal penis consisting of not more than four longitudinal pleats, usually straight, sometimes slightly wavy, but never laterally branched or papillate.
- IUCN 2008. 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. <www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 6 December 2008.
- Miller J. S. (1822). "A list of the freshwater and landshells occurring in the environment of Bristol, with observations". Annals of Philosophy (New Series), London, 3(17): 376-381.
- Horáčková J. & Juřičková L. (2009). "A new record of Oxychilus alliarius (Gastropoda: Zonitidae) with the species distribution in the Czech Republic". Malacologica Bohemoslovaca 8: 63-65. PDF.
- Species summary for Oxychilus alliarius. AnimalBase, accessed 25 June 2014.
- Spencer, H.G., Marshall, B.A. & Willan, R.C. (2009). Checklist of New Zealand living Mollusca. Pp 196-219 in Gordon, D.P. (ed.) New Zealand inventory of biodiversity. Volume one. Kingdom Animalia: Radiata, Lophotrochozoa, Deuterostomia. Canterbury University Press, Christchurch.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oxychilus alliarius.|