P. B. Sharma
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|P. B. Sharma|
|Born||Vidisha, Madhya Pradesh|
|Alma mater||Samrat Ashok Technological Institute, University of Birmingham|
Pritam Babu Sharma (born April 1948) is an Indian academician and Vice Chancellor of Amity University, Gurgaon and ex Vice Chancellor of Delhi Technological University.  Currently he is heading the Association of Indian Universities as the President.  Sharma has a career spanning 44 years of experience in teaching and research, which includes 12 years at IIT Delhi, where he was a Professor of mechanical engineering before taking over as Principal of Delhi College of Engineering (now Delhi Technological University) in 1990. He led Delhi College of Engineering till 2009, and was then appointed the founder Vice Chancellor of Delhi Technological University (DTU), when Delhi College of Engineering was upgraded to Delhi Technological University through Delhi Act 6 of 2009. He is also the founding Vice Chancellor of Rajiv Gandhi Technical University, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
Early life and education
Born in April 1948 at Vidisha in Madhya Pradesh, India, Sharma graduated in Mechanical Engineering from Samrat Ashok Technological Institute with a Gold Medal of Faculty of Technology of Vikram University in 1969. He was selected as a National Scholar by Govt. of India, and sent to Birmingham, UK for higher studies. Sharma obtained his postgraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from University of Birmingham (UK) in 1974. He later received his Doctorate Degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Birmingham (UK) in 1978. In 2013, Sharma was awarded Honorary Doctorate of Engineering (Honoris Causa) by University of Birmingham, U.K for his distinguished contributions to the advancement of frontiers of knowledge in the areas of Green Energy Technologies and Knowledge and Innovation Management.
Sharma has published over 230 research papers. He has provided industrial consultancy to organizations including Rolls-Royce of the UK and the Gas Turbine Research Establishment in Bangalore. He has addressed professional gatherings across the world. As vice chancellor of Delhi Technological University, he has brought about a significant rise in the growth of the university.
Sharma has been:
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Director, Delhi College of Engineering, Delhi
- Founder Vice Chancellor, Rajiv Gandhi Technical University, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- Founder Vice Chancellor, Delhi Technological University (DTU), Delhi
- Vice Chancellor, Amity University Gurgaon (AUG), Haryana
In 2014, he replaced R C Sharma as the Vice Chancellor of Amity University Gurgaon.
Awards and recognition
- "Outstanding Contribution to Education", ET NOW National Education Leadership Awards 2013.
- "Lifetime Achievement Award 2009" from Indian Institute of Industrial Engineering.
- "Eminent Engineer Award 2008" from Institution of Engineers.
- "Order of Merit in Management" by the Indian Council of Management Executives.
- NAFEN National Excellence Award for Best Technical Educator of the year.
- Fellow of World Academy of Productivity Sciences, Aeronautical Society of India, Institution of Engineers and Indian Society of Technical Education
- Former President of the Engineering Science Division of Indian Science Congress.
On 28 February 2014, Sharma was ordered by the LG of Delhi to proceed on leave for a fair and impartial inquiry to be conducted against the alleged favoritism and irregularities in the appointments in DCE, a charge he has strongly denied citing that all appointments were made through open applications and the selections were done by a panel of eminent academicians and approval of competent authorities. Pankaj Jalote, Director IIIT-Delhi has been asked to serve as Interim VC of DTU.
- "Prof. P.B. Sharma VC, Delhi Technological University".
- "In Conversation With the VC".
- "Prof. P.B.Sharma, Vice Chancellor, DTU".
- "Taking the Leap".
- "India's Biggest three day International High School Model UN".
- "Founder Vice Chancellor".
- "DTU Website".
- "Delhi Act 6 of 2009" (PDF).
- "DTU History". Archived from the original on 2011-05-05.
- "Prof. P.B. Sharma".
- "University of Birmingham Honorary Graduands for July 2013".
- "Our History".
- Delhi Technological University
- "AWARD WINNERS 2013".
- "VC of DTU forced to go on leave".
- "Pankaj Jalote, Director IIIT-Delhi asked to serve as Interim VC of DTU".