This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||विद्यया मृतम श्रुते|
|Chancellor||H.E.Shri Om Prakash Kohli|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. S. S. Pandey|
|Location||Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Affiliations||UGC, AICTE & NAAC|
The university, which is named after the ruler Vikramaditya, was established in 1957. The foundation stone was laid by the then Home Minister of India Govind Vallabh Pant. The University opted for a rigorous evaluation by the National Assessment and Accreditition Council (NAAC) of the University Grants Commission. The apex council of NAAC awarded the grade of A to the university.
- 1 History
- 2 Satellite campus
- 3 Research and extensions
- 4 School Of Engineering and Technology
- 5 Institute of Pharmacy
- 6 Institute of Computer Science
- 7 Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Business Management
- 8 Faculties and schools
- 9 Affiliated colleges
- 10 Alumni of University
- 11 Criticism
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Vikram University was established in Ujjain on 1 March 1957. The foundation stone of Vikram University was laid by the then Home Minister of India Shri Govind Vallabh Pant on Tuesday, Kartika Krishnapaksha Chaturthi, Vikramabda 2013 i.e. on 23 October 1956. The function was presided over by the Rajpramukh of the Madhyabharat State Late Jiwajirao Scindia.
The new state of Madhya Pradesh was formed in 1956 and Madhya Bharat was merged into it. Thus, it was necessary to amend the Act relating to the University. Consequently, the amended Act of Vikram University No.13, 1957 was published in Madhya Pradesh Gazette dated 16 August 1957. From time to time many changes and amendments were made to the Act. Considerable decrease in the University jurisdiction occurred due to formation of Indore University, Gwalior during 1964-65, and Bhopal University during 1969-70. On 20 April 1973, the Governor granted permission to bring about homogeneity in the organisation and administration of all the Universities of Madhya Pradesh. This permission was first published in the Madhya Pradesh Gazette (extraordinary) on 23 April 1973. By a notification of the Education Department 940/20/8/71 dated 3 May 1973 the by-laws of the Madhya Pradesh Universities Act No. 1 to 19 were brought into effect from 25 September 1973, No. 20 to 26 from 1 December 1973, and No.27 to 31 from 4 May 1974, for all the Universities of Madhya Pradesh (including Vikram University).
The Madhya Pradesh Universities Act was amended and published in Madhya Pradesh Gazette, on 28 June 1985. As per the above Amendment, University Jurisdiction was redefined and demarcated in accordance with the Revenue districts of Ujjain Division i.e. Ujjain, Ratlam, Mandsaur, Neemuch, Shajapur and Dewas. Because of the new jurisdiction, the number of affiliated colleges decreased and some new colleges were granted affiliation.
The convocations held by the University in past years were addressed by prominent people like Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan, Sir C. P. Ramaswami Ayyar, Dr. Kalulal Shrimali, Pt. Dwarkaprasad Mishra, Pt. Kunjilal Dube, Babu Jagjiwanram, Dr. Govind Narayan Singh, Smt. Mahadevi Verma, Smt. Indira Gandhi, Dr. Sarojini Mahishi, Dr. Gopal Swarup Pathak, Prof. Nurul Hasan, Dr. Hargovind Khurana and Dr. Satish Chandra. The University is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
The University Schools and Administrative blocks are connected to the satellite. His Excellency the Chancellor inaugurated the Ernet connectivity network to make the University Global. Over 500 online Research Journals/magazines are now available to academia. MOU's with a large number of inter-national universities have been established since then, to facilitate a global perspective to the academia.
Research and extensions
The University has undertaken Research Projects & Extension Work incorporating various knowledge streams. The projects are being funded by University Grants Commission (UGC), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE), and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
School Of Engineering and Technology
The university's department of engineering, officially the School of Engineering and Technology, Vikram University,(SoET) is an AICTE approved, self-financed Government institute. The university is situated near a railway station about 300 meters from the campus,Vikram Nagar railway station from where main campus is at a walking distance.a newly opened kaushal vikas kendra in the department is training students of different streams in additional technical trades.
II The university has a zoo in its campus known as "Vikram Vatika".
Institute of Pharmacy
Institute of Pharmacy being a department of university does not require approval from AICTE to run any course. Pharmacy department of vikram university is started from year 2003 conducting only b.pharma course.admission is only on basis of entrance exam which university has conducted its own for admission in various courses. the Institute got approval from PCI for conduct of b.pharm course for 60 seats.
Faculty : since the institute has only b.pharm course, so as per its requirement the institute has the adequate number of M.Pharma faculties and PhD head. Being a university department it gets highly dedicated and knowledgeable faculty for non pharma subject also which are part of curricula.
Facilities: being a UG course institute it has got all the required instruments, although not in adequate numbers as needed but still better than a lot other institutes.
Institute of Computer Science
Institute of Computer Science is a part of Vikram university. Institute offers under graduate Bachelor of Computer Application and post graduate courses (M.C.A and M.Sc.)and Research Programme (M.Phil. and Ph.D.) in the field of Computer Science.
Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Business Management
Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Business Management is located in the city of Ujjain and was established in the year 1957. The institute runs under Vikaram University, a well education provider university in India that has more than 89 branches of various streams.
Campus: The infrastructure includes features such as e-classes that enable the lecturers to implement knowledge through computerized form, library possessing over 20, 000 volumes of books, well equipped net labs, campus covering a wide area of 2 acres, etc.
Courses Offered: MBA (regular and part-time)
Faculties and schools
- Faculty of Arts
- School of Studies in English
- School of Studies in Hindi
- School of Studies in JyotirVigyan
- School of Studies in Foreign Languages
- School of Studies in Sanskrit
- School of Studies in Philosophy
- Faculty of Physical Sciences
- School of Studies in Chemistry and Bio-Chemistry
- School of Studies in Geology
- School of Studies in Mathematics
- School of Studies in Physics
- School of Studies in Statistics
- Institute of Pharmacy
- School of Studies in Earth Science
- Faculty of Education
- School of Studies in Continuing Education
- Faculty of Commerce
- School of Studies in Commerce
- Faculty of Information Technology
- Institute of Computer Science
- School of Studies in Library & Information Science
- Faculty of Management
- Pt. J.N. Institute of Business Management
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- School of Studies in Ancient Indian History, Culture and Archaeology
- School of Studies in Economics
- School of Studies in Political Science and Public Administration
- School of Studies in Sociology
- Ambedkar Peeth
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- Institute of Environment Management & Plant Sciences - Environment
- School of Studies in Zoology and Biotechnology
- Institute of Environment Management & Plant Sc.- Microbiology
- School of Studies in Botany
For the year 2016-17, Vikram university has 57 affiliated government colleges and 130 affiliated private colleges. Notable colleges include Government Madhav Arts and Commerce College, Ujjain and Ruxmaniben Deepchand Gardi Medical College.
Alumni of University
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (September 2017)|
- Kaptan Singh Solanki, Governor of Punjab and Governor of Haryana
- Najma Heptulla, Minister of Minority Affairs and Indian politician 
- Vijay Kumar Patodi, Indian mathematician 
- V. K. Chaturvedi, Mechanical Engineer and a Nuclear power expert
- Chitranjan Singh Ranawat, Hip Surgeon 
- Sachida Nagdev, Contemporary Indian Artist 
- Asghar Ali Engineer, Indian reformist-writer and social activist.
- Ashif Shaikh, Social Activist
- Raghunandan Sharma (Mandsaur), Politician 
- Satyanarayan Jatiya, Politician 
- Pushpa Devi Singh, Politician
- B. M. Choudary, inorganic chemist, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar laureate
- G. V. R. Prasad, paleontologist, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar awardee
- "Vikram University, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, India - Career India - Career India". www.careerindia.com. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "List of the Affilited Government College (All Subjects)" (PDF). Vikram University. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "Private Colleges". www.vikramuniv.net. Vikram University. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "College students protest against Vikram University over poor IV semester result". News18.com. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- "Vikram University: Student upset, due to the delay affected Exams 362170". Naidunia.jagran.com. Retrieved 2015-06-25.