PBS Digital Studios
PBS Digital Studios is a YouTube channel and network through which PBS distributes original educational web video content. It comprises both original series and partnerships with existing YouTube channels. Most of the series are about science, pop culture, art, food, news, and music, though the channel originally launched with a series of video remixes based on PBS icons such as Mr. Rogers.
The PBS Digital Studios network has received more than 500 million views and has over 7 million subscribers. Popular series found on their channels include Crash Course, Blank on Blank, It’s Okay To Be Smart, and the multiple Webby Award-winning PBS Idea Channel. Each month, the shows average more than 5 million streams.
In 2015, PBS Digital Studios partnered with the Green brothers' series Crash Course, commissioning three courses in astronomy, U.S. government, and philosophy. Crash Course Astronomy launched January 15, 2015, Crash Course U.S. Government & Politics launched January 23, 2015, and Crash Course Philosophy launched February 8, 2016.
In 2017, the network cancelled a slew of its shows, including popular channels like PBS Game/Show & the PBS Idea Channel.
As of December 2020, PBS Digital Studios lists the following as "past" series:
- 24 Frames
- America From Scratch
- Are You MN Enough?
- The Art Assignment
- Beat Making Lab
- Blank on Blank
- Bon Appétempt
- Central Standard
- Everything But the News
- First Person
- Gross Science
- Global Weirding with Katharine Hayhoe
- I Contain Multitudes
- The Intergalactic Nemesis
- Indie Lens Storycast
- Makin' Friends with Ryan Miller
- Mike Likes Science
- Only in El Paso
- Origin Of Everything
- PBS Diorama
- PBS Game/Show
- PBS Idea Channel
- PBS Infinite Series
- PBS ReInventors
- Pancake Mountain
- Physics Girl
- Say It Loud
- Shanks FX
- Serving Up Science
- You're Doing it Wrong
- PBS Digital Studios: YouTube Channel—the location of their original web content
- Current PBS Digital Studios YouTube Shows
- National Public Media—information from the National Public Media website
- PBS—videos of PBS personalities whose words have been autotuned and remixed
- Forbes—Looking back on one year of PBS Digital Studios
- Looking Back On A Year Of PBS Digital Studios, July 18, 2013.
- First scripted series from PBS Digital Studios updates Frankenstein for modern age, July 25, 2014.
- PBS Digital Studios to Premiere First Scripted Series 'Frankenstein, M.D.' on Tuesday, August 19 Archived 2014-08-26 at the Wayback Machine, July 23, 2014.
- PBS Launching 4 New Digital Original Series, May 5, 2014.
- "Newcomer Anna Lore cast as title role in new Pemberley Digital series 'Frankenstein, M.D.'". The Daily Dot. 2014-07-23. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- Frankenstein, MD (TV Series 2014– ), retrieved 2018-09-24
- Staff, Wrap PRO (6 November 2014). "Vlogbrothers to Bring 'Crash Course' to PBS Digital Studios and Classrooms Nationwide".
- "Big news! BrainCraft joins PBS Digital Studios". braincraft.tv. Retrieved 2015-11-18.
- "Dianna Cowern's 'Physics Girl' Joins PBS Digital Studios". Tubefilter. Retrieved 2015-11-18.
- PBS Idea Channel (30 June 2017), Idea Channel is Ending, retrieved 2019-05-29